Any recommendation on Bi Level machine replacement?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
purple22

Any recommendation on Bi Level machine replacement?

Post by purple22 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:45 pm

In another month I will see Sleep Doc as to having my Bi-Level S9 VPAP replaced (as I have had it for five years-I am on Medicare) While my Sleep doc is great, I thought I might ask what I should avoid, the he might suggest. Or what machine others think is fantastic. I am also being hopeful that my DME will provide the machine without making a co-pay, as my Social Security payment is already not enough to get from month to month.

Does Medicare require that I, again, do an overnight sleep study? Do I, again, have to a large part of that Sleep Study time used to prove I need a Sleep Apnea machine? Or would the study be just for titration?

Just realized that I do not have a tag line on what I use. I have an Resmed S9 VPAP (Bi_Level- gee I said Bi-Level above) set to 13.2 to 18.2. I use a FitLife large face mask. I usually have zero leaks.

Hi Pugsy? Waving frantically.

Last edited by purple22 on Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Re: Any recommendation on Bi Level machine replacement?

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:13 pm

Vpap what? There's like 9 different ones

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

purple22

Post by purple22 » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 pm

Last I knew, there was only a S9 VPAP auto and an S9 VPAP without auto. I don't use Auto, It might be there. Not sure why it should matter given the bigger discussions on the newer options on the newer machines. Anyone experimented with breaking off the cell antenna so the docs can not remotely mess with your machine settings?

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:05 pm

purple22 wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:37 pm
Last I knew, there was only a S9 VPAP auto and an S9 VPAP without auto. I don't use Auto, It might be there. Not sure why it should matter given the bigger discussions on the newer options on the newer machines. Anyone experimented with breaking off the cell antenna so the docs can not remotely mess with your machine settings?
To recommend a new machine, one needs to know what you have, they're all dfferent. What does yours say by the power button?

The s9 vpap line has, among others

S
St
St-a
Auto
Adapt
Adapt v2
COPD
St-a v2
Cs pacewave
Tx
Lumis tx

If it's the vpap auto then you want the aircurve 10 vauto

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:22 pm

Medicare no longer replaces the machine after five years of use. They want to wait for it to break, then see if it is cost effective to have it repaired. If it fails, you may be without a machine for a week or more unless you have a back up machine available.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:52 am

Okie bipap wrote:
Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:22 pm
Medicare no longer replaces the machine after five years of use. They want to wait for it to break, then see if it is cost effective to have it repaired. If it fails, you may be without a machine for a week or more unless you have a back up machine available.
Nicely said.

I would add some decent local DMEs will provide a loaner for a broken machine. My local DME would, but they were recently bought by a regional DME. We'll see if things change.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:08 pm

Locally, they replace Medicare provided machines if they aren't working correctly or if they have surpassed 15,000 hours (worn out). Some people have just said that it is making a noise some nights that was reason enough for DME to replace (at or near 15,000 mark). You don't actually have to wait for the thing to break, but there is variance on how the DME sees it. This is still a fairly new policy and not many members have had their machines replaced since the new policy went into effect. Yes, there is a copay (20%) unless you have a Cadillac supplemental policy (my brother paid nothing for his).

If your sleep study is 10 years or less, you don't need to do another one to qualify for a replacement machine.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)