Not using any water...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
32blownhemi

Not using any water...

Post by 32blownhemi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 am

My cpap machine isn't using any water & I can't find a setting to see if there's an on/off switch... I went into the clinical menu too. Unless there's a setting that I don't understand I
saw nothing about turning water on/off... Is the machine broken? Thank You! Bill

Julie

Re: Not using any water...

Post by Julie » Fri Oct 12, 2018 2:36 am

If you live in a relatively humid area, the machine won't use much water, but if it's dry, you may need extra. And if those don't fit, someone else will be along here with more ideas (I don't use that machine or a humidifier as I don't need one where I am).

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:55 am

32blownhemi wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:56 am
My cpap machine isn't using any water & I can't find a setting to see if there's an on/off switch... I went into the clinical menu too. Unless there's a setting that I don't understand I
saw nothing about turning water on/off... Is the machine broken? Thank You! Bill
The amount if water you use depends on the relative humidity of your location, the time of year and your humidity setting. In humid areas you will use little water unless you turn the humidity way up...and even then you may use little. With the humidity turned up, remove the humidifier container and feel the heating plate at the bottom. If it is warm, the humidifier is working. If it is not warm, check the humidifier to be sure you don't have it turned off.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:34 pm

Thank You Julie & LSAT! Ok, now I see. I live up on a bluff & although I can see the ocean it's still aways away. But, everything rusts like crazy so it's humid. I found the controls
for Climate Control Auto & Tube Temperature. I didn't even think of the setting 'Climate Control' controlling humidity. I'm set to 'Auto' on both settings & I went in and saw where I can manually control these. But, it said something about 'Rainout' which I'm clueless to so I'm not going to mess with it. But, it does use a lot less water then it used to. And now
that I think about it the water usage went down when I put on a new heated air tube! And my nose used to be stopped up every morning like it does when I go to the desert! I'll bet
something was wrong with my air hose! Anyway, thanks again for the help! Bill

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:35 am

Added humidity on top of adequate ambient humidity will cause congestion, cold-y symptoms.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:49 am

Rainout is condensation in the mask or hose.
You will know it if you get it. Highly annoying but won't hurt you.
If you get it...your options are explained here..posts number 2 and 3.
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html

With the heated hose attached and "auto" set for climate control the machine only adds moisture if needed above what your ambient humidity is. So if your ambient humidity is fairly high then the machine may not need to add much moisture and you won't use much water.
Just recently we had a lot of rain and the temps were mild so I slept with the windows open and very little water got used.
I think the "auto" setting is for 85% humidity and if your humidity is already 85% outside then the machine won't have a need to add much.
Now later this season once we turn the furnace on and close up the house...I will use almost all the water at the same setting.

Sometimes too much moisture will cause nasal congestion issues and sometimes not enough moisture will cause the same nasal congestion issues. Everyone is an individual in what their nasal mucosa wants or needs and it's just something you have to learn yourself.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

32blownhemi

Post by 32blownhemi » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:16 pm

Thank You Pugsy! ah ha, I've had rainout! Very annoying! And now that I think about it when I was using more water was when the heater was on high! And that's also when I was getting congested! Thanks again, Bill

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 am

Just wanted to add that the on/off for the humidifier is the level of humidity. To shut it off, change it to zero. :D

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)