How to re-assign ResMed MyAir? And EPR question

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
David R

How to re-assign ResMed MyAir? And EPR question

Post by David R » Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:32 pm

I bought a used Resmed Airsense 10 auto set. I know the previous owner used MyAir app. I tried to register the machine to me and its saying bad serial number or device number. I'm sure the issue is that the machine is still registered to the original owner. He lost weight and stopped using CPAP.

How can I get this registered to me? Do I call previous owner and ask him to do something? Do I call my DME provider which is Johns Hopkins Pharmequip?

Re: EPR. This is the feature that lessens pressure for exhaling right? I set it to on and there is an option for EPR type (I put full time) and EPR level, I put 1. Can I get some advice as to what the lvl should be, and if most people even find EPR helpful? I dont use a ramp, I have my lvl set at 11-20 auto set (my old lvl was 11 with ResMed Elite). Ramp is set to off if that's relevent.

Thanks, David

Snoregone Conclusion

Re: How to re-assign ResMed MyAir? And EPR question

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi David,

For EPR, you’re correct as to what that is. If you’ve not used it before and found it necessary, likely it’d be disruptive to change to using it.

I just got my first machine of the same type (and first machine, ever) Wednesday and the DME had it set to off by default, which I found out afterwards once I got into the clinician’s mode. I found I had no problems starting without it at all, at 7 minimum 20 maximum, and tested the ramp feature a couple times but kept it very short, didn’t use it past later that day.

Remember EPR effectively lowers overall treatment pressure when in use. Some hate it, some love it, apparently, so why use it if you were fine without it?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm

EPR full time means it is on at whatever setting you choose all night long.
EPR ramp only means it is only on when the ramp feature is on.

The settings are 1, 2 and 3 ...each represents a cm drop in pressure during exhale. The setting of 1 is a 1 cm drop....setting of 3 is a 3 cm drop (but in all cases it won't ever drop below 4 cm which is as low as the machine can go).
It's a comfort feature. Some people like it (I love it) but other people don't care for it.
My suggestion for people who have never used it and wondering about it is to simply give it a try and try all 3 setting choices and see what if feels like and if they like it or not and then make the decision to use it or not.

Now sometimes the AHI will increase if that pressure drop during exhale allows the airway to close off (OA or hyponea flagging) and if that happens people can either increase the minimum so the drop doesn't go quite so low or reduce EPR or not use it. There are options either way a person wants to go.

Did you get the clinical manual for the machine? If not...go get it because it explains the feature in more detail.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

As for reassigning the machine so that the MyAir reporting reflects your usage....that can be done but only by a DME or doctor because they have to call up ResMed and reassign the serial number to you. You will probably need a new MyAir account for the new machine. I think the deal is one account per one serial number.
ResMed won't change it if you request it....the request has to come from a DME or doctor.

As for my liking EPR...I just do...and I use the setting of 3 with my minimum in apap mode of 7 cm. So on inhale I get 7 cm and exhale I get 3 cm and I find it so comfortable I barely notice the pressure.
Someone else might not like it at all...it might disturb their sleep. Pretty much everything about cpap comes with a big YMMV sticker.
So don't assume that because someone else loves something or the next person hates something that you will feel like they do.
You just have to try stuff yourself and see which way you feel about something.

Now if you use EPR and like it but you see a huge increase in the number of central apneas (CAs on SleepyHead) then report back quick and we get to have a different discussion...but large number...like 4 or 5 PER HOUR average or some really large clusters.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm

Do you need MyAir for insurance or commercial driver reasons?
If not, you would be better served by Sleepyhead or the advanced screen display.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:33 pm

Snoregone Conclusion wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:00 pm
Hi David,

For EPR, you’re correct as to what that is. If you’ve not used it before and found it necessary, likely it’d be disruptive to change to using it.
Please stop telling people things that aren't true.

It *MAY* be less comfortable, possibly even disruptive, or it *MAY* be more comfortable, and lead to better sleep.

The only way the OP will know is if the OP experiments to find out what works better for HIM.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

David R

Post by David R » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:27 pm
Do you need MyAir for insurance or commercial driver reasons?
If not, you would be better served by Sleepyhead or the advanced screen display.
I plan on using Sleepy head and the on screen. I just thought the myair app might be convenient so I can look at the results at work. I don't have regular access to a windows computer for sleepy head. But i'm going to install sleepyhead. on our family computer tomorrow.

On another note, does anyone know how to get rid of the daily nag screen for using airplane mode? I figured until I need the wifi i'd keep it on airplane. It asks me every day if i'm sure u want airplane mode on.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:22 pm

David R wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:04 pm
a windows computer
Also works on linux and mac.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:31 pm

If the nag screen is too annoying just leave it in airplane mode and let it transmit because no one is going to look at the results or care.
I don't know of anyway to turn off the nag screen short of opening up the machine and permanently doing something (instruction somewhere on the forum in the past) inside the machine and then if you do you might never be able to use the MyAir thing when they do get the machine reassigned to you.
Someone did it though...permanently disable the transmitting and thus got rid of the nag screen but I think it might be hard to undo.

I am using a machine that was used by someone else. I don't care if it transmits or not because no one cares and I doubt anyone is even looking. Most of the time the only time DMEs or doctors bother to look at that web based data is when compliance use requirements need to be met or the doctor pulls up the data because the patient is sitting in front of him. Other times no one bothers to look.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:57 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:01 pm

As for reassigning the machine so that the MyAir reporting reflects your usage....that can be done but only by a DME or doctor because they have to call up ResMed and reassign the serial number to you. You will probably need a new MyAir account for the new machine. I think the deal is one account per one serial number.
ResMed won't change it if you request it....the request has to come from a DME or doctor.
This is exactly what Resmed told me. If you want to use it, contact your DME or doc. Otherwise, Resmed is happy to lock it out so that nobody else can access it. I never use MyAir, so that was a no-brainer for me. But some people need to use it, so that option is available even for a used machine.

As to EPR it's very individual. I set mine to 3 and it was great. At some point though, I was having some problems and changed it to 2. Been fine ever since.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)