CPAP and room humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
monijoy

CPAP and room humidifier

Post by monijoy » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 am

Using a Phillips Dreamstation CPAP and have issues with the filter. Has anyone had trouble with a room humidifier (ultrasonic type) causing the filter to get dirty? In just a few days I would get a white powder on the filter and had to change it often. Wondering if any room humidifiers don't cause this problem. It might be unique to the Phillips brand but not sure.

LSAT

Re: CPAP and room humidifier

Post by LSAT » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:17 am

Because of Rhinitis, my wife uses a room humidifier from October thru March....this is in addition to out furnace humidifier. We do notice a white film on furniture and mirrors in the bedroom, but I have never noticed anything in my ResMed CPAP....Filters are cheap. Most film comes from minerals in the tap water. Using Distilled water will eliminate it.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:51 am

The white powder has something to do with the mineralization in the water. It's harmless. It was originally a concern in the 1980s when the 'new' humidifiers came into existance. You can use distilled water to avoid it, but it gets costly over time. We have whole house humidification now, so no longer an issue. Chances are that your filters are dirty because you just started up your heating system for the winter. All that dust accumulates in ductwork - takes up to a month to clear it out.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:21 am

What hasn't been said yet! That is The powder is Calcium or Limestone Dust, You are breathing it in, the XPAP filter is removing most of it at nite, but you are breathing it anyway unless it's filtered out. The smart thing would be to stop the problem by using distilled water in the first place,(like is probably written in the Instruction Manuel) Over time your Lungs will thank you. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:10 pm

monijoy wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:44 am
Using a Phillips Dreamstation CPAP and have issues with the filter. Has anyone had trouble with a room humidifier (ultrasonic type) causing the filter to get dirty? In just a few days I would get a white powder on the filter and had to change it often. Wondering if any room humidifiers don't cause this problem. It might be unique to the Phillips brand but not sure.
Ultrasonic humidifiers will leave a mineral film on things, unless you use demineralized water in them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.