ResMed Heated Hose differences Oxy vs Standard

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimW159

ResMed Heated Hose differences Oxy vs Standard

Post by JimW159 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:28 am

My doc has asked me to switch out my Oxygen use with PAP. In swapping the ClimateLine Oxy tube (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab) for the non-oxy version (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab), I noted the Oxy version had a larger diameter tube - note the specs shown in the links. The only rationale I can come up with for this is that the Oxy version is sized larger to accommodate the added Oxygen volume while allowing the machine to compute volume the same with both hoses. Thus, I think if one is discontinuing Oxygen use with PAP it would be best to swap the two hoses and not simply cap off the Oxy input barb. The debate, I would think, would center on whether the added volume through the capped Oxy version would yield sufficiently lower pressures at the mask to be meaningful

Pugsy

Re: ResMed Heated Hose differences Oxy vs Standard

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:45 am

The ResMed machines automatically adjusts the air flow to compensate for the difference in diameter of the oxy diameter hose vs the non oxy heated hose diameter.

Example...I could take that oxy adaptable heated hose and use it just fine even though I don't use oxygen and the oxy port would be closed off. My machine would recognize that the oxy hose is a larger diameter hose and make the necessary adjustments internally to the flow rate so that my pressure delivered remains the same.

Now from what I have read from ResMed...if a person uses higher pressures the larger diameter hose is actually preferred even when people aren't using oxygen. So more than one reason for using the larger hose with larger diameter.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

greatunclebill

Post by greatunclebill » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 am

common sense tells me that the ends of the hose that go to the mask and machine are standard diameter for both hoses because nothing mentions adapters. if the hose ends are indeed the same size, then the inner diameter doesn't matter. block the o2 port or replace the hose, all the same. the diameter difference could be for insulating the heating element from the o2 flowing thru.

please don't ask me to try nasal. i'm a full face person.
the avatar is Rocco, my Lhasa Apso. Number one "Bama fan. 18 championships and counting.
Life member VFW Post 4328 Alabama
MSgt USAF (E-7) medic Retired 1968-1990

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:17 am

JimW159 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:28 am
My doc has asked me to switch out my Oxygen use with PAP. In swapping the ClimateLine Oxy tube (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab) for the non-oxy version (https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... #specs-tab), I noted the Oxy version had a larger diameter tube - note the specs shown in the links. The only rationale I can come up with for this is that the Oxy version is sized larger to accommodate the added Oxygen volume while allowing the machine to compute volume the same with both hoses. Thus, I think if one is discontinuing Oxygen use with PAP it would be best to swap the two hoses and not simply cap off the Oxy input barb. The debate, I would think, would center on whether the added volume through the capped Oxy version would yield sufficiently lower pressures at the mask to be meaningful
Oh.... this one's complicated. But I can tell you that you've got the debate issue *backwards*.

The volume of the hose isn't the issue, what is important is the resistance to flow of the hose.

Smaller diameter hoses have a greater resistance to flow of air moving through them.

The reason the machines have a setting for "slimine' or 'regular' hoses is to compensate for the increased resistance of the slimline hoses.

(Background... older ASV machines had to have a separate hose running to the mask so that they could measure the actual pressure, at the mask... newer machines, with more powerful computers inside are able to calculate all the flow resistances and compensate for them by increasing the blower speed so that you get a very accurate pressure at your nose... everything is taken into account, whether you have a humidifier attached, what size, and length the hose is, what kind of mask, whether there's an antibacterial filter, all things that resist the flow of air)

I'm guessing that the reason that the oxy hose is a larger diameter is that they're more often used on bilevel machines, and because of the larger pressure swings, bilevels do better with a standard size, lower resistance hose... (in fact, when they came out with the climateline max hose on the s9's, the marketing specifically said they were recommended for VPAP people at higher pressures).

Since the machine senses what size hose is attached when it's a climateline, and sets itself accordingly, there's no reason to change the hose, just cap the O2 port, it'll work fine.

Also, the 2-4(typical) lpm of added O2 is insignificant when added to the 30-40lpm of regular airflow, as far as the volume goes.

Also, do monitor your O2 throughout the night, occasionally, just because the doctor things you don't need it doesn't mean you don't... I'd like to keep you around here. :)

Last edited by palerider on Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
Get OSCAR

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:18 am

greatunclebill wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:56 am
then the inner diameter doesn't matter.
It does matter, to the machine, and to the effective pressures at the mask.

Try putting a regular hose on the machine but set the machine to 'slimline'... you'll think it's broken... at least I did, the first time I did that by accident... "Why's this thing blowing so darn hard???"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:47 pm

I specifically asked Resmed if the Oxi hose can be used without the oxygen and I was told that the machine would adjust airflow. It recognizes the hose.