Opinion needed: PR Dreamwear FFM

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
JimW159

Opinion needed: PR Dreamwear FFM

Post by JimW159 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:56 am

In trying the Amara View during my recent sleep study came away intrigued by the concept but not the mask. The sleep tech doing the test said she had heard positive things about the DreamWear FFM but they didn't have one for me to try at the time. I am thinking about ordering one when my sleep doc puts in her Rx for a new mask and machine. Who uses one/has tried one and has an opinion? Anything will be appreciated - the more detailed the better (particularly about sizing).

Addendum: if any user/trier has had occasion to use the mask with a chinstrap, I would appreciate comments about that as well.

Okie bipap

Re: Opinion needed: PR Dreamwear FFM

Post by Okie bipap » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:34 am

I have used the Amara View and the Dreamwear FFM. I prefer the Dreamwear. The mask is more flexible and is more comfortable in my opinion. I am curious about the new Resmed Air Fit F30 mask, but will wait a few months before trying one. I want to hear how others have done with it before I invest in one.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Klock1

Post by Klock1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:52 am

I have worn both and currently use the dreamwear. I've been wearing it since June. The mask is more comfortable than the amara view, the hose never gets in the way of tossing and turning. Also, I like the two vents so all of the air isn't being forced out of the front of your face which can disturb your partner. It still does, but it's much less.

biztraveler

Post by biztraveler » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:55 am

It is my first and only mask, so I have no comparison point. I would say that I struggled with breathing through the nose on the medium size, but the large was much easier. Make sure they measure you for the correct size.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:17 am

Jason has a good video review of the DreamWear and if I remember right he actually holds up the Amara View to compare the 2 visually.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUwIa3xnsDQ

I did a review here a while back and I showed pictures of the DreamWear cushions and Amara View cushions side by side.
viewtopic/t158844/Respironics-DreamWear ... w&start=15

So I have actually tried both ....only for trial to have a full face mask available just in case I ever can't use my nasal pillows (and in over 9 years hasn't happened yet).
I have never used any full face mask beyond a few nights just to try it to see if I could even sleep with one.

Between the 2...the Amara View and the DreamWear FFM, I prefer the DreamWear.
The only real, but minor, issue I had with the DreamWear was the frame was just a little bit too big for my head/face even in the small frame size. Just a little bit too much cushion movement because of that but I got it resolved well enough with some extra padding around the frame to make it snug up a bit more to be able to use the mask all night. I gave it a week trial. That's saying something for me. Other full face mask trials usually lasted either part of one night or not at all or one night only. I am a tough cookie to crack when it comes to full face masks. :lol: I liked it well enough to use it more than one night.

I have both the Amara View and the DreamWear FFM in my own personal mask stash for just in case I ever need a full face mask for some reason but the Amara View needs to probably find a new home because if that ever happens I would be using the DreamWear.
The Amara View won't ever be used again I am sure.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:51 am

Thanks for the quick responses - I, too, am considering the AirFit F30. This is largely because I think the ResMed cushion designs are very well thought out and their Mirage cushions especially so. Does anyone have comments/opinions about the printable sizing guides available for either/both the DW FFM or ResMed's F30? Any thoughts about chinstrap usage with these masks?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:57 am

Chin straps and full face masks....my thought is why use a chin strap if using a full face mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

JimW159

Post by JimW159 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:14 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:57 am
Chin straps and full face masks....my thought is why use a chin strap if using a full face mask.
Good question - this largely comes from comments by the sleep teck after my sleep study. I had noted the Amara View did not quite cover the corners of my mouth at times during the time I was wearing it - she commented that during the periods of deepest sleep my mouth would drop open to the point of exposing the corners to a much greater degree. Consequently, I came to wonder if a chinstrap would mitigate that.

Stom

Post by Stom » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:47 am

I've tried the Dreamwear FF and just can't get it to seal under my lip. My F20 seals ok under the lip, so I know that sealing under my lip isn't an impossible ask for full face mask on my particular face. I've just received the F30 and a quick test reveals that it seals ok, but I can't try it sleeping just yet because it would put pressure where I just had dental surgery.

The F30 has two sizes, the small for an outside nose width of about 33mm or under, and the medium for 33mm to 47mm. Medium seems to fit my 35mm nose ok. But the sides of the F30 nose cushion rise more steeply than the cushion on the Dreamwear FF (in another F30 thread poster remstarcpap said that the medium F30 is too tight for their 43mm nose even though the size guide for it goes up to 47mm). You can also see that ResMed added a lot of extra length to the "2 sizes fit most" medium cushion to allow it to fit longer nostrils -- it has about as much length as the Large Dreamwear FF cushion, which is the longest of the 4 Dreamwear FF cushion sizes.

Here are the Medium F30 and Large Dreamwear FF cushions:
DWFF+F20_SideBySide.jpg
DWFF+F20_SideBySide.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
DWFF+F20_Top.jpg
DWFF+F20_Top.jpg (151.78 KiB) Viewed 1421 times
Last edited by Stom on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Cokomo

Post by Cokomo » Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:35 pm

I have the Dreamwear ffm and the F30. Had a tough time with the DW ffm until I got a Pad a Cheek liner. It fixed leaks and the deep marks around my mouth . Have had the F30 for a little over a week . I have the same problems I had with the DW ffm wo liner and switched back to the DW last night ( 0.0 no leaks ). I think a liner will fix the issues and until there is an F30 liner available , I’m gladly sticking with the DW ffm.