Silly Question, with Pressure...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rzw

Silly Question, with Pressure...

Post by rzw » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 pm

I have been trying to dial in my pressure.....I prefer to set a constant pressure.....And while this may be a silly question, forgive me, but can setting to high of a pressure actually be more harmful than beneficial....

Goofproof

Re: Silly Question, with Pressure...

Post by Goofproof » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:04 pm

Yes, that's why we use the software to monitor our treatment, instead of guessing what's going on by the seat of our pants and mis-guided feelings! Jim

Also going slowly works best, it takes time for the body to adjust to change.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:13 pm

rzw wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:56 pm
, but can setting to high of a pressure actually be more harmful than beneficial....
Only in rare circumstances.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rzw

Post by rzw » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:59 am

Thank you for the feedback...I'm not flying by the seat of my pants by any means jim! I use sleepy head to monitor whats happening during the night, and then most importantly, evaluate how i'm feeling and what changes I notice in myself....Even though my data shows that my sleep looks really good, I personally don't feel that way..So i'm always looking at what I can do to make things better....

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:50 am

Sometimes our sleep quality isn't so great for any number of reasons unrelated to sleep apnea.
I speak from experience in that regard myself.
I also speak from experience in that I experimented with pressures (going much higher than was technically needed for AHI control) and it didn't help my sleep quality. Wasn't a big surprise to me that it didn't since I already knew about the other issues but I felt better for at least trying.

Trying more pressure than is maybe technically needed to keep AHI nice and low won't hurt you so give it a go.
Only problems that might happen ....maybe the aerophagia monster comes calling and leaves you with a painful belly...or maybe you develop centrals but that is really a slim possibility. Just watch your AHI and if you see large numbers of centrals pop up then back off your experiment.

Not all our sleep problems can be fixed with machine tweaks. Wish it were that easy. Just be realistic about your expectations.
Take a hard look at any and all other potential culprits.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.