Restless Legs Study

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
SewTired

Restless Legs Study

Post by SewTired » Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:33 pm

This is a news report, not the original study. For any of us who have it, at least there is some hope that now that they understand it, they may come up with something that works better without all the terrible side effects! The report is from a Sydney, Australia medical news service.

https://knowridge.com/2018/11/scientist ... -syndrome/

Scientists make breakthrough in treatment of restless legs syndrome
November 18, 2018

New research published in the Journal of Physiology presents a breakthrough in the treatment of Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS).

RLS is a common condition of the nervous system that causes an overwhelming irresistible urge to move the legs.

Patients complain of unpleasant symptoms such as tingling, burning and painful cramping sensations in the leg.

More than 80% of people with RLS experience their legs jerking or twitching uncontrollably, usually at night.

Until now it was thought that RLS is caused by genetic, metabolic and central nervous system mechanisms.

For the first time the researchers show that, in fact, it is not only the central nervous system but also the nerve cells targeting the muscles themselves that are responsible.

This new research indicates that the involuntary leg movements in RLS are caused by increased excitability of the nerve cells that supply the muscles in the leg, which results in an increased number of signals being sent between nerve cells.

Targeting the way messages are sent between nerve cells to reduce the number of messages to normal levels may help prevent the symptoms of RLS occurring.

This could be achieved by new drugs that block the ion channels that are essential for the communication between nerve cells.

The research conducted by the University of Gottingen in conjunction with the University of Sydney and Vanderbilt University involved measuring the nerve excitability of motor nerve cells of patients suffering with RLS and healthy subjects.

The next step is to investigate the effect of different medications in patients and the effect on RLS.

Dirk Czesnik, corresponding author of the study, commented on the findings:

‘Patients who suffer from Restless legs syndrome complain of painful symptoms in the legs leading to sleep disturbances.

The mechanisms for RLS are still not completely understood.

We have shown that also the nerve cells supplying muscles in the leg are responsible and hereby additional drug treatments may be ahead targeting these nerve cells.’

Source: The Physiological Society.
Link to abstract: https://physoc.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/ ... 3/JP275341

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

Islandwoman

Re: Restless Legs Study

Post by Islandwoman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 3:22 pm

I had this problem and happened to see a homeopathic remedy when looking for something else. It worked well, so well I don't need it anymore. Don't remember the brand. Worth a try.

kteague

Post by kteague » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:51 pm

I'm sure any new therapies will be a godsend to those unable to use existing medications or who have had to resort to increasingly hard to get strong meds. I do wish there was money to be made in studying approaches outside pharmaceuticals, but I'm all for gaining a better understanding of the issues. Although my RLS is what I'd call minor in recent years, I will never forget the misery I lived with for years.

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am

Interesting thing KTeague. I recently had a fall that injured my knee and shinbone. I didn't have ANY RLS for 2 solid weeks. I know it wasn't the ibuprofen since I've used that before without any change. Hormone changes can cause pain, but maybe also have some action on RLS. In any case, the RLS is back now. Poo. Still using walker too. Double Poo.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:48 am

Hmmm. Just thinking out loud here, but wondering if there's any chance the pain from your injuries filled the nerve pathways, interfering with RLS sensations being able to be communicated between the legs and the brain. I've managed with just using a TENS Unit,and I think it's the same premise. Only so much room in those pipelines, so fill them up with something else.