Dealing with Mask Issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
FoggyGoggle

Dealing with Mask Issues

Post by FoggyGoggle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:42 pm

I am having a bit of trouble with my current setup. This is my second week of CPAP therapy, and to be honest I'm very overwhelmed with it all.

I have the ResMed F30 Full Face mask and I am having a bit of trouble with leakage (mainly from the nasal portion of the mask). I'm a side-sleeper but I really enjoy burrowing my face into my pillow. I will fall asleep more on my back than my side as I'm afraid of the mask coming off during the night. The mask is comfortable except I notice in the middle of the night I will roll on to my face and the nasal portion of the mask will fall off or I will disrupt the mask and air will leak out, which causes me to abruptly wake up. I tried tightening the straps with moderate success, but I will often wake up with red marks on my face and the issue still persists. I have a (very short) beard, which I REALLY, REALLY don't want to shave, but if it comes down to it, I will bite the bullet.

I am just not sure what to do since the mask isn't so much the problem as my sleep habits (and maybe my beard). Should I try to sleep more on my back? Will I eventually adjust? Is there anything I can do to keep the mask from leaking? Should I just go back to the DME and see if I can try a different mask (I'm afraid of getting a mask that fits terribly)? Can I try putting something around the mask to make it more stable? Any advice is appreciated.

Okie bipap

Re: Dealing with Mask Issues

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:05 pm

Having a beard can make it harder to get a good seal so you don't have a lot of leaks. Some people here on the forum have managed to wear a full face mask and get a good seal with a full beard. When I did my first sleep tests, they had a hard time getting a good seal when using the full face mask. I finally shaved the beard I had work for over thirty years before I started my second set of sleep tests. I have beardless for over three years now, and am doing quite well with my treatment. For me, getting rid of the beard was not a hard decision.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 pm

welcome to the zoo!

two things-

you might want to go to youtube and search for mask fitting videos specific to your mask.

or you MAY want to try a P10 pillow mask. i'm a full bearded fellow and this is what i use.

in any event, it is my belief that getting the right mask for YOU is the hardest part of this therapy. there are just SO many out there and it can take a long time to find your "soul mate".

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

mets123

Post by mets123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:49 am

I am wearing the f30 also and am struggling with leaks. I use the mask fit and seems good to go. Then I wake up in the morning and see that my leaks are very high. I am not aware of the leaks as they don't wake me up, but the data shows a large percentage of the night that I have large leaks. Any advice would be appreciated. I think that your beard can be a problem for you. Try to make sure the cushion is clean and it also helps to wash your face well before putting on the mask.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:38 pm

Are you using Sleepyhead software? If so, exactly how high is your leakage? Your machine will show high leakage if you exceed 24 liters per minute for over 30% of the time. Your machine can adequately treat you if your leakage exceeds 24 liters. If the leaks are not over 40 liters per minute, and they are not waking you up, I would not worry about them.

mets123

Post by mets123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:20 pm

Thanks for your response okie bipap.
This is what sleepyhead shows for three nights.
Large leak: 14% 95% leak 39.6
Large leak: 38.82%,95% leak 45.60
Large Leak: 12.75% 95% leak 32.40

Again doesn't wake me up but are these figures affecting how the machine is functioning in order to control my apneas? Thanks for your help.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:43 pm

Your machine can control and accurately report events with as much as 45 liters per minute leakage. The 95% number says your leakage was at or below that value for 95% of the night. You exceeded that value 5% of the night.

mets123

Post by mets123 » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks so much for explaining it so clearly!

EdNerd

Post by EdNerd » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:07 am

Most mask fit instructions and videos show adjusting while standing in front of a mirror or sitting on the bed. Make your final adjustments while laying down. Tight enough to stop the leaks, but no tighter than need be.

I find with my F20 the my pillow is a big deal. Everything can be set just perfect - but when I lay my head back, the pillow pushes my head forward which effectively loosens the bottom straps and allows leaks around my lower lip. When I turn to the side and "snuggle in" to the pillow, my mask will move either up or down, or it will get pushed off to one side. Again -- leaks. Seems about the only sure-answer is to calk the thing to my face every night!! Or learn to sleep with the leaks.

I sleep mostly on my side. What has helped me is to get a very lightweight pillow, and roll the bottom corner into a point. This goes from my ear down to my chin, leaving the mask hardly touched by the pillow. At least, that's how the night starts ....

I would not recommend "burrowing my face into my pillow" -- you might cover up the CO2 exhaust ports.

Ed

Very helpful stuff:
"Taming the Mirage Quattro" http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8

mets123

Post by mets123 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:17 pm

Thanks for the tips.