Insurance Company Monitoring My Data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
dmypub

Insurance Company Monitoring My Data

Post by dmypub » Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:55 pm

I just recently was diagnosed and got a cpap. Today, I just read an article describing how my usage activity is being accessed by my insurance company. I don't care too much about the usage data, but don't feel comfortable sharing AHI related data that could possible be used in the future by an insurance company against me. How can I determine IF my insurance company is indeed monitoring AHI statistics ? Nothing in the paperwork I signed obviously states that my data is being used in this manner, but I don't trust them... Thanks in advance ! dmypub

prodigyplace

Re: Insurance Company Monitoring My Data

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:34 pm

I believe your doctor and.or DME gets the data and must report compliance to insurance in order for supplies, etc. to be covered.

I do not think the insurance company has direct access to the data. Would they get the information if they asked? I think so.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Stom

Post by Stom » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:42 pm

The most significant issue is probably one that doesn't have anything to do with the data monitoring: You now have a pre-existing condition. In the US, under the Affordable Care Act, you can still buy insurance that will cover you for that condition. But if the law changes, then that could be more of an issue. I don't think any data monitoring would be a bigger issue than that fact, but who knows what they might do with it. They could use it to create some sort of compliance scoring database where they decide if you should ever be eligible for something like transplant surgery based on your historical level of healthcare compliance.
Official Foe™ on @Palerider's public list of foes. ;-)

Rules to live by: Be wary of anyone boasting their behavior is like that of a fictional sociopath.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:55 pm

Your insurance company is more interested in your compliance data. They want to make sure you are using the machine. They do not want to buy you an expensive paper weight.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am

You can control access to your data by putting your machine in airplane mode. If there is a need to prove compliance there’s still a data card that can be read by your doctor or DME.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am

Janknitz wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am
You can control access to your data by putting your machine in airplane mode. If there is a need to prove compliance there’s still a data card that can be read by your doctor or DME.
Assuming the DME put the card in the machine. If not, SD cards are inexpensive and the machine does not need a large capacity one.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

dmypub

Post by dmypub » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:31 pm

Thank you for your responses...

SewTired

Post by SewTired » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:08 pm

Insurance only gets the compliance information unless you are requesting a switch to a more complex machine. Then they MAY look at the data or they may just agree with the doctor that you failed Cpap. The compliance info comes from the DME and they only supply what they are required to. Info from insurance person.

Airsense For Her; Settings: range 8-12, Airfit P10 (M)

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:30 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:30 am
Janknitz wrote:
Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:20 am
Assuming the DME put the card in the machine.
This doesn't matter, the machine stores compliance data internally, and will write that to any card inserted, or transmit it when connected via cell modem.

So anyone that didn't want the DME monitoring their every night can just carry the machine in and say "get the compliance data off that", (and be sure to take the SD card with you, since you should have gotten one. :)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.