Travel machine recommendations?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
rogerconnelly

Travel machine recommendations?

Post by rogerconnelly » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:52 pm

All,
I've done some searches and read some of your reviews on the AirMini and the DreamStation GO - but it's difficult to filter which one people are really happy with - or is the Z1 Auto best?

I wear an AirTouch F20 mask most nights these days, but still fall back to my tried and true Quattro on some nights - so that mask limitation of the AirMini has me concerned.

Also, is the DreamStation GO really that much smaller than just leaving the humidifier behind on my regular DreamStation?

Any other favorite travel machine recommendations? :-)

- thanks up front - Roger

dakuda

Re: Travel machine recommendations?

Post by dakuda » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:20 am

The Go doesn't need the power brick and is also not as tall. There's not a huge difference in machine size otherwise.

In my experience, the Transcend machine is super noisy. I know you didn't mention that one but I thought I would share. I don't have any experience outside of the Dreamstation Go and Transcend.

Here is a size comparison of the Dreamstation vs Dreamstation Go
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3UEGdTg1wngN7sQ9A

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:38 am

I just done a painfully honest review of the HDM Z1 Auto. I suspect they all have some noise issues compared to the machines we use at home.

But, at well under $400 for a refurbished unit, the Z1 package was hard to turn down. Spend a few dollars on the Travel CPAP hose, which you might want with any machine ( except the airmini which does allow different hoses. At least without some kind of adaptor ). A few dollars on a Q-Tube silencer. Which it sounds like you want with the other machines too.

I didn't mention battery power in my review. I am ordering the adaptor to run this Z1 on 12v battery power. That gives me complete portability.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm

Is there a compelling reason to not just pack up your tried and true mask and machine and take it with you? When I got the Resmed 10 earlier this year it came with a nice padded travel case, so twice this year I have just taken it with me. I do pack an extension cord just in case I need it. It comes with me on the plane, under the seat in front of me, so no real danger of damage. It does not count toward the limits of what you can take onboard.

Now if you are traveling to lots of locations on your trip it might not be practical to tear down/setup the machine each place you are visiting, but if you are just going to one place I would just take your machine. It not only saves money, but more importantly, gives you the same nights sleep you are used to getting.

Good Luck fellow hose head! :D

sburke91

Post by sburke91 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:14 pm

I sleep away from home a LOT (70+ nights a year on business, a week or two on vacation, a few nights on a small boat). Since starting PAP therapy in 2007, I've always had two machines:

Identical Respironics M-Series
Close to identical (CPAP with relief rather than BiPap) Devilbiss Auto
ResMed AirMini

Once I got used to how to deal with the Humid-X setup, I can say by far that the Airmini is the best travel machine I've had. The pressure algorithms work great for me, the small size makes a major difference in my carry-on roller, and the lack of a humidity chamber (along with drying, replacement every few months, etc.) is just stellar. It also seems to be very power efficient, as I've yet to use 50% of the 24v battery on 2 international flights.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 am

scruffies wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm
Is there a compelling reason to not just pack up your tried and true mask and machine and take it with you? When I got the Resmed 10 earlier this year it came with a nice padded travel case, so twice this year I have just taken it with me. I do pack an extension cord just in case I need it. It comes with me on the plane, under the seat in front of me, so no real danger of damage. It does not count toward the limits of what you can take onboard.

Now if you are traveling to lots of locations on your trip it might not be practical to tear down/setup the machine each place you are visiting, but if you are just going to one place I would just take your machine. It not only saves money, but more importantly, gives you the same nights sleep you are used to getting.

Good Luck fellow hose head! :D
I did travel with my ResMed 10 Autoset several times. There are the times where you are staying one night in a Motel, so unpacking/setup/repacking the gear is something to consider. But that applies to the travel size machines too of course. Yet the travel machines are more simple to unpack, setup, and repack. No water to deal with!

Once you use the "different" machine a few times it is going to work about as well as your home unit. Assuming you get the noise down some!

A travel size machine, complete with ALL gear, packs up MUCH smaller and lighter than the full size machines ( and then there is the water for them....).

But the most important reason for getting a second machine was leaving at 3-4am. I often get up and leave at that time for trips, especially on motorcycle trips. I wouldn't want to have to turn on the lights and pack my machine while my wife is trying to sleep! Even when she is going with me, not having to rush to get the machine packed is worth it. Then you also have the home machine ready to go when you get back a bit late also.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

pmhlb

Post by pmhlb » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:05 am

scruffies wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:50 pm
Is there a compelling reason to not just pack up your tried and true mask and machine and take it with you? When I got the Resmed 10 earlier this year it came with a nice padded travel case, so twice this year I have just taken it with me. I do pack an extension cord just in case I need it. / . . . but more importantly, gives you the same nights sleep you are used to getting.
For the most part, I agree. I have the same system as you, and also want/appreciate the same results. (Setting up/tearing down is a bit of a nuisance, but worth the effort.)

There are situations where travelling a l~o~n~g distance requires using the CPAP in tight quarters (on 15-hour overnight flight) -- or without electricity (during a Winter storm, or when camping), however. Having something smaller/battery-operated is then the answer.

That is my current quest, about which I posted earlier.
Cheers,
Mary Helen
Last edited by pmhlb on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. ~ William Butler Yeats

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:01 pm

Yep. Some very compelling reasons to have a travel machine for sure.

pmhlb

Post by pmhlb » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:47 pm

realshelby wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:48 am

. . . the travel machines are more simple to unpack, setup, and repack. /. . . most important reason for getting a second machine was leaving at 3-4am. I often get up and leave at that time for trips, especially on motorcycle trips. I wouldn't want to have to turn on the lights and pack my machine while my wife is trying to sleep! Even when she is going with me, not having to rush to get the machine packed is worth it. Then you also have the home machine ready to go when you get back a bit late also.
Brilliant! Yes, setting up upon one's return is gruelling. I am getting very close to being convinced to buy a travel machine rather than a battery for the biggie! 🤔
Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. ~ William Butler Yeats