Aroma therapy and Cheyne Stokes Respiration

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
scruffies

Aroma therapy and Cheyne Stokes Respiration

Post by scruffies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:15 pm

Three days ago I got the usual Medicare resupply including a new heated hose and new nasal mask hose, which I installed. I noticed some unpleasant odor that night, so I looked here (my go to source for all things CPAP) and saw the suggestion to use some essential oil on a cotton ball placed in front of the air intake, so yesterday I bought some "Now - Peaceful Sleep" and put two drops on the cotton ball before going to sleep. Woke up at 4:30 to hit the head, and checked my AHI which as 2.24 for the 5 hours before 4;30. Went back to sleep, and this morning AHI was 5.10, so I am thinking " what the hell?" Checking Sleepyhead all looked normal until about 4:45 when I had a solid 22 minutes of Cheyne Stokes Respirations and a ton of CAs during that time. Since I started CPAP in January of this year, I have not seen CSRs, so wondering might cause it, and since it didn't occur until after 5 hours, I am assuming it's not in some way associated with aroma therapy?

I will try it all again tonight and see what happens, but was interested in what the vets on this forum might offer.....

regards.... :D

Okie bipap

Re: Aroma therapy and Cheyne Stokes Respiration

Post by Okie bipap » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:40 pm

Are sure you sleeping during that period? I often see strange breathing patterns and clusters of CAs when I am not completely asleep. I also see this with my wife.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

scruffies

Post by scruffies » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm

I have seen plenty of clusters of CAs (SWJ) and I was trying to go back to sleep, but..... I have not before seen Cheyne Stokes Respiration indicated, so what's up with that??

purple22

Post by purple22 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:28 pm

Did you thoroughly rinse out the tube, and wash the plastic type smell off mask?