Dot compliance

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Goofproof

Re: Dot compliance

Post by Goofproof » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am

Pugsy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 am
realshelby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am
There has to be more to the story.......
I am thinking this also and so far we only have heard one side of the story.
Or a small piece of one side of the story. I don't understand why he would need Dot Compliance for a Pickup truck local delivery, unless he is carrying passengers, needs a CDL, or is moving Nukes. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Jeramief

Post by Jeramief » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:48 pm

If you have a commercial license you must be in compliance period I have a one year medical certificate. My Initial after diagnosis was 90 days at the follow up after the 90 day extension I had to show compliance machines were checked and data was downloaded and looked at same at 1 year after it was rather interesting my sleep clinic I was the first driver with a dreamstation go data card and they did not have adapter they downloaded both machines and they had to compute the days I was 100% compliant.

christopherdiehl

Post by christopherdiehl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm

There is not more to the story. Honestly that is it. And no I don't have health insurance. Sad huh. Anyway I too cant figure out why I need a medical card to drive a pick up truck. Makes no sense to me. I don't have a cdl. Just a standard drivers licence. I'm working this job only until I can find something better. I'm 41 with a large family. I NEED insurance but this is just to get me back on my feet. Does anyone know where I can find out if I do indeed need a dot medical card? It won't affect me wearing my cpap. I'm wearing that damn thing regardless. You guys have got me curious now.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

christopherdiehl

Post by christopherdiehl » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm

And why would I only tell one side of the story? That wouldn't be very helpful to me. I don't have anything to hide. Kinda harsh. I've defended myself more than got help

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:34 pm

The rest of the story might be that your employer may have some special requirements for his employees...any employees.
He may require his employees to pass DOT physicals even if they don't have a CDL. Maybe his insurance requires it so that he gets a lower rate or something. He can do that...he's the boss. He gets to make the rules for all his employees even those that might not technically be needing a DOT CDL medical card.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:04 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:34 am
Pugsy wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:55 am
realshelby wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 7:35 am
There has to be more to the story.......
I am thinking this also and so far we only have heard one side of the story.
Or a small piece of one side of the story. I don't understand why he would need Dot Compliance for a Pickup truck local delivery, unless he is carrying passengers, needs a CDL, or is moving Nukes. Jim
Or maybe the employer is exhibiting an abundance of caution--to keep the insurance rates down.
Government employees have to deal with this stuff all the time.
It is just the way things are run.
Everybody and his dog has a shyster on speed-dial.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:56 am

christopherdiehl wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:26 pm
And why would I only tell one side of the story? That wouldn't be very helpful to me. I don't have anything to hide. Kinda harsh. I've defended myself more than got help
No one said you only told one side of the story. Sorry you think what I wrote was harsh. Not intended. We have learned another side, about the employers requirements. There are those here that will freely give their time to help you with anything cpap related. But in the case of the DOT compliance, your original subject, that is something that would normally be resourced by reading Government regulations found on DOT sites. Yet there are those here at least familiar with those regulations. What we didn't have for you was perhaps the answer you were hoping for. It takes work on your part to be "compliant". There is no shortcut for it.

I get that you really need the job. But if NOT working currently at that job (?) I personally would be looking for another job every day in case this one becomes even more complicated. If a CDL is NOT required, yet the employer requires a DOT medical card, then that should be paid for by the employer. Especially if they don't have health insurance. That is exactly why I wrote you need a new Boss! Good luck!
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:01 am

christopherdiehl wrote:
Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm
Does anyone know where I can find out if I do indeed need a dot medical card?

If you don't need a CDL, then you don't "need" a DOT medical card to drive. For yourself. But if your employer requires a DOT medical examination to be passed as part of the job requirement, then you MUST get a DOT medical certification. No different from an employer requiring you to take a drug test before starting with them. Which in my experience every employer pays for, I would hope your employer will pay for the examination.

Bottom line: If your employer says you need a DOT medical card to work there, you have to get one.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Thu Dec 20, 2018 10:30 am

Note that four hours does not necessarily mean four consecutive hours. It could even be four hours while you're sitting up awake. As long as the mask is on your face and the machine is powered on, it will record compliant time. In general, the day runs from noon to noon for the purpose of CPAP logging.

Of course, I certainly don't recommend doing this and sleeping without it, but you will get away with that.

Incidentally, you can probably get away with driving the truck with the machine on and the mask attached if it doesn't interfere with your vision. It's very unlikely that they cross-check driving time with CPAP time. Again, I said you can "get away" with this; I do not endorse this!

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:44 pm

However if they can prove manslaughter after a wreck caused by Sleep Apnea, it will be harder sleeping with a XPAP in a cell. One more good reason to make XPAP work. Jim

If the idea is to cheat, in the end you only cheat yourself! (Good Life Lesson)
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Dec 20, 2018 4:53 pm

He says the truth---cold, hard, and blunt.
Life is rarely easy; and if it is, be on your guard.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 am

As a truck driver who has been on therapy and nearly 100% in compliance the past 4+ years, I'm stunned by how much more Pugsy knows about DOT regulations than I. She probably reads up, I just use my equipment and call it done.
FWIW, if you spend time away from home, a second machine for travel is priceless. I never hit the road without a full setup.
Don't just do the minimum. Use that damned machine like MY life counts on it. Because I'm old and bitchy, and if I get in a wreck with you because you aren't using your machine and in compliance, I'll make your life a misery.

Who CARES what the minimum is to make you legal for DOT?? Use it EVERY TIME you sleep, and you'll be fine.
Again, f'ing autoincorrect...

Last edited by Tatooed Lady on Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:08 pm

Tatooed Lady wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 am
Use that dampened machine like MY life counts on it. Because I'm old and butchery,
Auto-incorrect kicking your butt today, or are you subtly increasing the threat factor should some sleepy driver run into you? :D :lol: :lol: :lol:

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:38 pm

palerider wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:08 pm
Tatooed Lady wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 7:31 am
Use that dampened machine like MY life counts on it. Because I'm old and butchery,
Auto-incorrect kicking your butt today, or are you subtly increasing the threat factor should some sleepy driver run into you? :D :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh, for craps sake...using the Amazon fire and not paying attention to what hijinx it's up to.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!