Advice new air sense or slightly used s9

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MyIdaho1

Advice new air sense or slightly used s9

Post by MyIdaho1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm

I've been very pleased with my S9 cpap machine and have used it religiously for the last 6 years. My insurance company approved a new cpap given the age and hours on my S9 autoset but it is working perfectly. They want me to rent to own a new airsense 10 (autoset( for 12 months at $122 per month. Alternatively, I could purchase a slightly used (<100 hours) S9 autoset for $450. Economically it makes sense to go with the used S9 but I would be completely on my own. $1000 in savings will buy lots of hoses and mask cushions. Plus, my therapy is totally dialed in (AHI's < 1) and no need to share data with a DME.

The insurance company is adamant that I have to rent to own. That I cannot directly purchase a cpap. The CPAP supply company I am referring to has an excellent reputation on this forum and they said that a Dr's prescription was not needed since I've used a cpap for 6 years. Is that true? I'd like to go the cheaper option but want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules... :D Don't want black helicopters circling my house at night wondering where's their data... errr, my data that is shared...

ThisGuy

Re: Advice new air sense or slightly used s9

Post by ThisGuy » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:50 am

I believe they will not outright purchase you a unit, but you should be able to purchase one yourself for much less than the rental cost. If you go through your insurance company, I believe the rent to own system is the norm. They shouldn't be able to deny covering your supplies as long as you register your sn and dn with your dme for compliance. I just purchased a brand new, zero hour Airsense 10 Autoset unit on craigslist for $325. That is ~3 months of rental fees. There are members here that often have low hr or new units in the $400-450 range if you don't feel like risking craigslist. I think the simpler design of the 10 vs the 9 would be worth the change and with the amount of hrs you put on the 9, it would be nice to replace it.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:14 pm

If the $122 per month is coming out of YOUR pocket, there is no way I would consider it. You can buy brand new ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset units for under $600, the sponsor of this site has them for $639 right now.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Dec 22, 2018 12:26 pm

The $122 a month is most likely the DME price...NOT the price the insurance company will pay.(They are not stupid) They have a pre negotiated price that has been agreed upon ( probably about $75). If you have a co-pay you will pay your co-pay against the lower amount. Are you getting your information from the DME or from your insurance company directly? By the way...There are you "rules" when you are buying your own machine. CPAP police are busy with other things.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:44 pm

MyIdaho1 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm
I've been very pleased with my S9 cpap machine and have used it religiously for the last 6 years. My insurance company approved a new cpap given the age and hours on my S9 autoset but it is working perfectly. They want me to rent to own a new airsense 10 (autoset( for 12 months at $122 per month. Alternatively, I could purchase a slightly used (<100 hours) S9 autoset for $450. Economically it makes sense to go with the used S9 but I would be completely on my own. $1000 in savings will buy lots of hoses and mask cushions. Plus, my therapy is totally dialed in (AHI's < 1) and no need to share data with a DME.

The insurance company is adamant that I have to rent to own. That I cannot directly purchase a cpap. The CPAP supply company I am referring to has an excellent reputation on this forum and they said that a Dr's prescription was not needed since I've used a cpap for 6 years. Is that true? I'd like to go the cheaper option but want to make sure I'm not breaking any rules... :D Don't want black helicopters circling my house at night wondering where's their data... errr, my data that is shared...
Just buy a gently used machine from LSAT or Grayghost4. Go rogue, it's a liberating feeling. And no, you're not breaking any (meaningful) rules buying on the black market ;)

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tatooed Lady

Post by Tatooed Lady » Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:29 pm

FWIW, I was "issued" a Respironics autoset machine by my company, used it awhile, then bought two Resmed level auto machines from Ghost. I was also worried that there would be some weird issue, being as mine are for DOT compliance, but I found that once I cut the proverbial cord with the DME, I got much BETTER advice on this forum, lower monthly costs to maintain equipment (I'm using the gear til it needs replacement) and a ton less headaches. I take the cards to be read when it's time to renew my Fed med card, and that's ALL the contact I have with DMEs.
My suggestion is use what you're comfortable with. If the S9 works for you, there ya go.

As Bette Davis famously said, “Old age ain’t for sissies.”
I'm with the band.
So.Many.TOYS!

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Dec 23, 2018 1:00 am

Tatooed Lady wrote:
Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:29 pm
bought two Resmed level auto machines
Auto incorrect strikes again... she means "Resmed S9 VPAP Auto" machines.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:06 am

My heart tells me to buy the S9. I luv those machines.... such a great machine. My head says to buy a Airsense as was recommended. For sure, do go with the DME. Do the math. if $122 is your part (copay), it's amazing what the DME is getting for the machine.

Sheriff

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:26 pm

MyIdaho1 wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 8:44 pm

If you're dialed in, why not cut the DME cord? Get a script from your doctor for general descriptions of the type of machine and masks you want and fax it to cpap.com. They even have a downloadable pdf with suggestions you can determine with the doctor so it offers you the most leeway as to what machines/masks you can buy.
  • If money out of your pocket is important to you, make a spreadsheet.
  • Include the deductible and copayments required each month. Double check with both your DME and the Insurance company on the amounts before you sign anything.
  • Is it a fourteen-month contract? Barring catastrophe or other serious chronic health issues, you'll be attempting to meet the deductible for at least two more months than you expect in the contract.
  • Regardless of how you buy it, it's almost January now. Will it make sense to wait until the beginning of the year? Check it out in the spreadsheet.
  • If you're truly not entirely set on the S9, you might prefer to buy the newer model because it will probably deliver an even better algorithm and may be easier to diagnose any machine fixes in six years than a fifteen-year-old model.
  • Now compare this total costs over the months of the contract with the total costs of just buying the machine outright or with a credit card. Which is the more fiscally sound route?
  • If you don't have the cash to scrape together now, is it cheaper to buy it via credit card and pay the card's apr or cheaper to get it through the insurace?
If money is no object, then just buy it outright. You know you're going to need it. You can very likely report the amount toward your yearly health insurance deductible. It seems unlikely the insurance can force you to rent-to-own, especially considering that you have been using an S9 rigorously for years and that your sleep therapy data will support your purchase. If you're getting that information from the DME, consider talking directly with an agent (even a second-tier agent) at your insurance company. There's always a way. Get them to send the correct information to you as an email for documentation.

Good luck!

Chris

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris