Best Cleaning Procedure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Re: Best Cleaning Procedure

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 am

Gaius wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:59 pm
Doesn't it ever get gamy?

I'm breathing in 8-10oz of distilled water a night, so after 3wks or so it begins to smell.
Uh, no, you are breathing water vapor, not water. (Unless you have a horrible case of rainout.)

How does water vapor create a "gamy" smell?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:01 am

Chris8243 wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 am
Over time it seems I clean less and less. When I'm home I don't bother cleaning daily anything besides the mask. I do wash the headgear maybe once a week, less probably, with soap & water.

Used to use Dawn dish soap on the mask every morning, per the DME. At my last sleep doctor visit he told me to just use a baby wipe. Way easier and hey, it's "doctor's orders." This is also "proof" that the DME wants you to clean & wear out your stuff so they can sell you new stuff.
THIS-Hands.jpg
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:31 am

I was talking to someone a while back who said that they washed the short hose fairly often because it would seem to pick up odd odors.
Like after a night of beer drinking...the next night he would smell the beer. Didn't really like the odor the second night. :lol:
So obviously the odor came from the exhaled breath odors.
Made me wonder if other products would produce similar residual odors...like a meal heavy in garlic or onions or something like that.
So maybe the hose could stink from something but most likely it would come from our own breath odor I would think anyway.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:31 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:49 am
Gaius wrote:
Doesn't it ever get gamy?

I'm breathing in 8-10oz of distilled water a night, so after 3wks or so it begins to smell.
Uh, no, you are breathing water vapor, not water. (Unless you have a horrible case of rainout.)

How does water vapor create a "gamy" smell?
And you're certainly not breathing vapor from 8-10 oz of water, since *most* of it goes right out the vent. :D

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cubby

Post by cubby » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm

I came to this thread looking for tips on cleaning and apparently my lazyness is the way to go :D i wipe the mask out every so many days but that's it. Was wondering if i should get one of those cleaners i see on tv due to my lazy cleaning habits

chartle

Post by chartle » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:58 pm

cubby wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:49 pm
I came to this thread looking for tips on cleaning and apparently my lazyness is the way to go :D i wipe the mask out every so many days but that's it. Was wondering if i should get one of those cleaners i see on tv due to my lazy cleaning habits
I rarely clean my mask, tube or water tank. I do use homemade mask liners.

About once a month I'll rinse the hose with vinegar water and wash the mask with dish soap.

So for the cleaning machine, strap in its going to be a bumpy ride. :lol: AKA It appears most people here think its a scam.
Last edited by chartle on Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 pm

jwoceanside wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 12:04 pm
Not sure I'm following proper machine and Mask cleaning procedure. Been soaking mask, tubing to the mask and water tank in mild soapy warm water for ten minutes., daily. Let it dry completely before re-installing

I have a ResMed Nasal 10

I clean the tubing to the water tank weekly with white vinegar. Not sure about head band?

Is it necessary to clean daily? Can become annoying

Thanks for any thoughts
That is the model of your mask? Is it an N10 nasal mask or P10 nasal pillows? I assume it it not an F10 full face mask.
There is not a ResMed Nasal 10 mask.

If you have the P10 pillows, the head bans can be removed & washed/soaked periodically. This restores the size after it stretches.

I use distilled water and periodically rinse out the tank before refilling, whenever I think about it. (every other month?)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:23 pm

cubby wrote:
Was wondering if i should get one of those cleaners i see on tv
---------------------------> viewtopic.php?f=1&t=173961&p=1282587#p1282587

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:28 pm

cubby wrote:
Was wondering if i should get one of those cleaners i see on tv due to my lazy cleaning habits
Those "cleaning" devices...if you actually look at what they do they can't actually clean anything. They maybe sanitize whatever gunk, snot, slobber, dirt, facial oils, etc that might be on the mask. Those machines can't do a damn thing about removing the stuff we normally are wanting gone when we actually "clean" something.
In my mind there is a big difference between "cleaning" and "sanitizing" (and that's assuming those scare monger ads for that device can actually kill anything).

If you go to their website they actually will tell you that you have to wash your gear first to remove gunk, snot, slobber, etc and they are happy to sell you a high dollar cleaner just to do that.

So even if you get one...you still have to do some cleaning or you will get a nice build up of maybe sanitized snot, slobber, gunk, facial oils, sweat and dirt on your mask.

I am a lazy cleaner myself. It hasn't killed me yet.
I never wash the hose and the mask gets washed when I happen to think about it and I don't think about it very often.
Get some baby wipe type of cleaners and just wipe off the silicone part of your mask if you have oily skin daily...takes maybe 2 seconds.
And then maybe wash the mask once every week or two depending on whatever suits your fancy.
Buy yourself something nice with the money you save from not buying that scare mongering tactic machine you see advertised so much.
Now if you are a serious germaphobe and it really bugs you about germs...get a device that uses UV light to zap germs.
Much less harmful to the silicone and you but you still have to use soap and water every so often. There's no way around that.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:39 pm

cubby wrote:
Well, hopefully you've learned that the answer is an emphatic NO!

https://www.verywellhealth.com/do-you-n ... in-4171650

If you've got a few hundred bucks sitting around gathering dust, and you just MUST get rid of it, send it where it can help people, like your local Meals on Wheels charity, instead of spending it on a scam that just prays on peoples ignorance and fear.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

cubby

Post by cubby » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:03 am

Glad i found this place. I was pretty skeptical of it but hadn't looked anything up on it yet. As for the few hundred bucks gathering dust well there was pretty much just dust there anyways lol

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Fri Jan 04, 2019 12:13 pm

Gaius wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:29 pm
palerider wrote:
Wed Jan 02, 2019 3:19 pm
Gaius wrote:
Am I to understand that some of you have been using the same hose for years and have never cleaned it? Are you using the humidifier? Doesn't it ever get gamy?
Yes you are, sometimes, and no it never has. I've had the same 10 foot hose for about 4 or five years now.
Wow!
I have been using the original hose that came with my machine 4+ years ago.....I "occasionally" rinse the hose..never dry it. It's like new.

dreamingofdreaming

Post by dreamingofdreaming » Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:22 pm

I wash my nasal cushion, mask, hose and humidifier tank every morning in hot soapy (Dawn dish soap) water and dry in a Hurricane dryer. I have had the same hose and mask for almost a year. I change the nasal cushion every 2-3 months or so. I wash the head gear/fuzzy pieces that go around the mask, chin strap and hose cover once a week in a laundry bag, in the washing machine.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm

dreamingofdreaming wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 1:22 pm
I wash my nasal cushion, mask, hose and humidifier tank every morning in hot soapy (Dawn dish soap) water and dry in a Hurricane dryer. I have had the same hose and mask for almost a year. I change the nasal cushion every 2-3 months or so. I wash the head gear/fuzzy pieces that go around the mask, chin strap and hose cover once a week in a laundry bag, in the washing machine.
Why not do it in the evening before bedtime (if you really feel you must)? That way you wouldn't have to try to dry it and any residual moisture in the hose would be added to what is going to be coming from the humidifier anyway.
"DRYING" this stuff.........hose, HH tank, etc..........makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. You're using unfiltered room air to dry something that has just been "cleaned" and therefore you're making it "dirty" again. SHEESH!
It's amazing how many people hang their stuff up in the bathroom to dry. You might just as well swirl your equipment around in the toilet and call it "clean".

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:56 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
Fri Jan 04, 2019 2:34 pm
It's amazing how many people hang their stuff up in the bathroom to dry. You might just as well swirl your equipment around in the toilet and call it "clean".

Den

Actually, that's what my Lin(don't)care DME expert told me to do. :evil: ( the bathroom shower rod, not the toilet)

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.