How many masks did you try before finding the right one?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
KATCSR

How many masks did you try before finding the right one?

Post by KATCSR » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:21 pm

I am on my second one and just struggling.. I think I'm going back to my sleep center this week for a 3rd one... Sheesh, I wish this was easier

chartle

Re: How many masks did you try before finding the right one?

Post by chartle » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 pm

After trying a half dozen at the DME, one.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:51 pm

I've tried two full face masks, two nasal pillow masks and the N20 nasal mask. I think the last one is about as good as its going to get. That won't stop me from trying others, I am just not spending a whole lot more money on it.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 pm

KATCSR wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:21 pm
I am on my second one and just struggling.. I think I'm going back to my sleep center this week for a 3rd one... Sheesh, I wish this was easier
Back when I started, there weren't nearly as many mask choices and some of those have fallen by the wayside during those years. However, my first choice was the one I'm still using today.....the one in my profile.....ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face.
I bought all of my initial equipment from www.cpap.com and did a considerable amount of preliminary "homework" trying to pick the right one and the right size. It worked out just fine. I've tried a few others along the way, but nothing else comes close.

On a side note, many masks fail the users because the bed pillow they're using causes their head to sink down too far in the pillow and push the mask out of alignment.
Another thing is the amount of tension (head gear) on the mask. Too loose can leak and too tight can leak.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:32 pm

1. full face, could not make it work
2. nasal mask, my fave except for the really hot part of the summer
3. nasal pillows, works fine + I can read in bed

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:38 pm

I have gone through around 20 different masks, and I am still trying different ones. My wife tried my F20 when i first bought it and decided she liked it, and has used it ever since. Her first mask was the F10 which she didn't like. I have tried two or three since then, but I keep coming back to the F20. It looks like that will continue to be my mask of choice.

Last edited by Okie bipap on Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Becca59

Post by Becca59 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm

6. 3 were variations of the same mask (dreamwear). I Started CPAP therapy April 2018. Just found THE mask this past week. Started with dream wear nasal because I liked the feel of it & that the hose was on my head instead of face. Unfortunately, the nasal cushion (small) leaked a lot. the "hole" was too big & another problem was that the mask frame (medium) was too large. Changed to a small frame... it was too small. Went back to medium frame but switched to nasal pillows. That worked better, but discovered that I was not getting the correct therapy because I am a mouth breather. My doctor recommended I use a full face. I switched to Dreamwear full face. Still loved the mask, but it leaked dreadfully & I could not adjust the medium frame to make it work. So... then I tried the Airfit 20 for her, but it also leaked & hurt the bridge of my nose. Then tried the Quattro Air for her, thinking I needed a forehead band style... It didn't leak, but was very uncomfortable with my method of sleeping (side sleeper with lot's of moving during the night). The mask I am currently using is the Airfit 30. The frame is one size fits all & it reminded me of the dreamwear full face mask style, except the hose is out the nose instead of the head. Quite truthfully, dreamwear is still my favorite style of mask & I think that if I had headgear that fit, it wouldn't leak. The headgear kept shifting causing the leaks. I hope Phillips designs a "for her" line of masks as I need a size between small & medium for that. I will consider trying dreamwear again if they do.
AuntDucky

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm

More than a few since Feb 2018...

P10...caused pressure sores
N20 did not fit at all
Eson2...rotation list #1
Wisp...like a lot but often causes a pressure sore on nose bridge...even with a gecko gel pad
Dreamwear cushion...noisy and can be leaky
Pico...rotation list #2
N30i...rotation list #3

Still hunting...the above three work ( Dreamwear and Wisp would be #4 #5)...each has its pros and cons. I switch them from daily to weekly. Once I even used three different masks (#1 #2 + Dreamwear) in one night.

Also I have purchased Dreamwear Gel Pillows and in case of a cold/congestion Simplus FFM. Both have remained unused and unopened respectively. Except for the Eson2 and Simplus, I tend to purchase masks that come in Fitpacks. I don't have any immediate plans to buy another mask unless a new one is introduced like the N30i in late 2018.

solracotos

Post by solracotos » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:01 pm

For me two, sort.of...

First mas is the dreamwear full face but I knew I also wanted the regular dreamwear nose cushion. So I bought both. The nasal cushion is the best.

Been using it since December 26
Machine: AirSense™ 10 AutoSet™ For Her
Mask: DreamWear Mask

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:50 pm

I have lost count but I am sure it is over a dozen.
I am surprised to see so many who have found the right one.
I am still looking, but the SleepWeaver line seem to be my favorite so far.
They still need some tweeking but other companies patents probably get in the way.

Mskitty76

Post by Mskitty76 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:08 pm

I've been doing cpap since June. I've tried a nasal mask, nasal pillows, and 2 different types of full face masks. If you've seen the only post I started, you'll see that I'm having issues all over the place and haven't found my perfect for yet.

Grace~~~

Post by Grace~~~ » Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:01 am

Becca59 wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm
Quite truthfully, dreamwear is still my favorite style of mask & I think that if I had headgear that fit, it wouldn't leak. The headgear kept shifting causing the leaks. I hope Phillips designs a "for her" line of masks as I need a size between small & medium for that. I will consider trying dreamwear again if they do.
AuntDucky, are you able to put your hair in a topknot?

If you can get your hair in a nice topknot it will totally stabilize the "snork style" dreamwear hose. Then the mask does not need to touch the crown of your head and this gives a whole new dimension to the possibilities of fit.

I have a huge wad of hair so I am fully stabilized, but I know some "hair hacks" use socks to make "faux bun / topknots" which would work for short hair for the dreamwear. It doesn't have to look pretty if you're not a hair expert, but it really changes the dynamics of FIT on the mask and if you otherwise like it maybe you can pull it out and try again.

Plus a little catwalk at the roots will give you lift and some beachy waves to your cut in the morning! :wink:
Began XPAP May 2016. Autoset Pressure min. 8 / max 15. Ramp off. ERP set at 2. No humidity. Sleepyhead software installed and being looked at daily, though only beginning to understand the data.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:44 am

Around seven. I'm like Okie. I'm ok with my current mask (F20). I'll start eyeballin' a mask...then try it. I'm starting to eyeball a Dreamwear.

Sheriff

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:19 am

DavidY wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:38 pm
More than a few since Feb 2018...

P10...caused pressure sores
N20 did not fit at all
Eson2...rotation list #1
Wisp...like a lot but often causes a pressure sore on nose bridge...even with a gecko gel pad
Dreamwear cushion...noisy and can be leaky
Pico...rotation list #2
N30i...rotation list #3

Still hunting...the above three work ( Dreamwear and Wisp would be #4 #5)...each has its pros and cons. I switch them from daily to weekly. Once I even used three different masks (#1 #2 + Dreamwear) in one night.

Also I have purchased Dreamwear Gel Pillows and in case of a cold/congestion Simplus FFM. Both have remained unused and unopened respectively. Except for the Eson2 and Simplus, I tend to purchase masks that come in Fitpacks. I don't have any immediate plans to buy another mask unless a new one is introduced like the N30i in late 2018.
You may want to give the P10 another try. When I first tried the P10 I had sores too. I then tried a couple of full face masks that did not work for me.

When I went back to the P10, I had no issues and still use it. I think it takes a week or 2 for the nose to initially adjust to the P10.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.