First time CPAP purchase

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
botalk6

First time CPAP purchase

Post by botalk6 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi guys,

So I recently received my sleep study results - I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea with an AHI of 54. I got a prescription to pick up a CPAP machine, but I'm finding it hard to figure out which machine would be the best to buy. I'm planning to go visit a store soon, do you guys have any recommendations of a good CPAP machine for someone that's buying his first machine? I mainly breathe through my nose, so I'm not looking for a full face mask, and I live in Toronto.

I've heard that OHIP also covers 75% of the purchase, but I've also heard that it may be better to buy it with insurance coverage instead - are these two coverages mutually exclusive?

Thanks, any feedback would be appreciated.

Okie bipap

Re: First time CPAP purchase

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:54 pm

The most widely recommended machine is the Resmed Air Sense 10 auto for her. If you cannot get the for her version, then get the Air Sense 10 auto. Mask choice is a very personal thing. Everybody is different and faces are different sizes and shapes. You need to try them one in order to find what fits you. I'm sure some of our Canadian members will weigh in on what is the best option for purchasing the machine.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:16 pm

This is rather different that how one get a CPAP machine in the U.S.

I suggest getting an automatic. I also suggest that you get the current model, and that you get either a ResMEd or a Respironics machine.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:32 pm

The machine you get will be dependant on your prescription.

You definitely want to get an APAP device (Auto adjusts pressure)
You want to get a device that supports data

A popular and often recommended device is the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSense

If your prescription is for CPAP, and you want to take advantage of OHIP's Assisted Device program you can only get a machine from the list of supported CPAP devices. For some strange reason Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSense for Her is listed with the CPAP machines, even though it is an APAP Machine.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/pro/prog ... manual.pdf
Page 4 is the eligible CPAP devices.

So if you're using the OHIP Assisted device program and prescribed CPAP, get the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSense for Her. Insist on it. I did. And don't be concerned about the For Her branding. It's a favourite around here with men too.

I've heard that OHIP also covers 75% of the purchase, but I've also heard that it may be better to buy it with insurance coverage instead - are these two coverages mutually exclusive?
No you can use both.

The DME (equipment manufacturer) should take care of all the paper work and give you an invoice for the cost after the 75% OHIP ADP discount. You can then submit your receipt to your insurance provider for coverage of the bill. My DME did not have direct billing to my insurance company so I submitted the paper work and they covered 85% of it.

botalk6

Post by botalk6 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am

Wow thank you for the very helpful responses! So it sounds like I should be going for the Resmed AirSense 10 AutoSense for her. Is it safe to assume that an APAP machine will always be better than a CPAP machine?

As for masks, are there any types or brands that I should be looking for?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:52 am

botalk6 wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am
Is it safe to assume that an APAP machine will always be better than a CPAP machine?
Always better the have something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

An apap machine (one that is capable of auto adjusting pressure mode) is really a cpap machine with that extra mode.

CPAP machines...fixed single pressure
APAP machines...have the fixed single pressure mode AND the auto adjusting single pressure mode...2 machines in one

The AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her....has the 2 modes (cpap and auto adjusting) PLUS a 3rd auto adjusting mode with a different algorithm.
So 3 machines in 1. I know ResMed target marketed that 3rd algorithm towards women like it is "just for women" but the way it works isn't necessarily something that only a woman might need or want. I think ResMed sort of shot themselves in the foot by doing it that way but they didn't ask my opinion. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:53 am

The APAP give you more options. It can be used as a CPAP machine or an APAP machine.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:13 am

Pugsy wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:52 am

The AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her....has the 2 modes (cpap and auto adjusting) PLUS a 3rd auto adjusting mode with a different algorithm.
So 3 machines in 1. I know ResMed target marketed that 3rd algorithm towards women like it is "just for women" but the way it works isn't necessarily something that only a woman might need or want. I think ResMed sort of shot themselves in the foot by doing it that way but they didn't ask my opinion. :lol:
Yup. I was corresponding with a buddy of mine who was shopping around for used machines.

He came across an AirSense 10 AutoSet for Her and almost passed it up. I spent numerous emails trying to convince him that's the machine he should get. He finally found some supporting evidence in the manuals that convinced him that the for Her is the same as the traditional AutoSense but with the extra [Optional] mode.

I have the AutoSet for Her. I just tell people when I go to bed and strap on my machine, I identify as a Her for the next 8 hour. :)

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 pm

Is that what they call getting in touch with your feminine side? :lol: :lol:

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 am

Keep a copy of your prescription(s). You may need them later on. Especially the mask prescription.

Sheriff

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:23 am

It is interesting that companies can get away with marketing these products as "for her".
If they labeled the products as "for him" they would get rightly accused of sexist stereotyping.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 am
Keep a copy of your prescription(s). You may need them later on. Especially the mask prescription.

Sheriff
Rx is not needed for mask purchases in Canada. Most Canadian CPAP etailers require a Rx....not all however.

Dave

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am

DavidY wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am
Sheriff Buford wrote:

Sheriff
Rx is not needed for mask purchases in Canada. Most Canadian CPAP etailers require a Rx....not all however.

Dave
The original poster did not state their location.
Most people here that do that are in the US since this is a US-based forum.

The original poster mentioned OHIP but few people in the US would cross that to the location of Ontario, Canada. I am originally from Ontario, so I can make the association.

OHIP == Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Ontario's government run healthcare

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am
DavidY wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:

Sheriff

Dave

The original poster mentioned OHIP but few people in the US would cross that to the location of Ontario, Canada. I am originally from Ontario, so I can make the association.

OP's original post had included Toronto.

Dave

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm

DavidY wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am
DavidY wrote:
Sheriff Buford wrote:

Sheriff

Dave

OP's original post had included Toronto.

Dave
And how does that help?
2019-01-23_1801.png