First time CPAP purchase

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: First time CPAP purchase

Post by palerider » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:23 pm

prodigyplace wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:06 pm
DavidY wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:32 pm
prodigyplace wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:05 am
DavidY wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:00 am
Sheriff Buford wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:48 am
Keep a copy of your prescription(s). You may need them later on. Especially the mask prescription.

Sheriff
Rx is not needed for mask purchases in Canada. Most Canadian CPAP etailers require a Rx....not all however.

Dave
The original poster did not state their location.
Most people here that do that are in the US since this is a US-based forum.

The original poster mentioned OHIP but few people in the US would cross that to the location of Ontario, Canada. I am originally from Ontario, so I can make the association.

OHIP == Ontario Health Insurance Plan - Ontario's government run healthcare
OP's original post had included Toronto.

Dave
And how does that help?
People who aren't foolishly pedantic knew what OP meant.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

botalk6

Post by botalk6 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:32 pm

Thanks for all the helpful feedback guys!

I visited a few vendors today - only one of them was willing to discussing pricing without setting up an appointment first, and they had the AirSense 10 AutoSet available for purchase, but only in the form of a package with accessories included (mask, filters and tubing).
The machine itself was the price that is covered under Ontario's Health Insurance Plan (they cover 75% of $860), but the rest would be out of pocket. So the package would be deducted from $1,700 to around a grand after the machine is deducted by OHIP. That's a lot for me - are the accessories normally this expensive?

I'm planning on contacting my corporate insurance to see how much they would cover the package - but from what I've heard, it probably won't be much. I'd be willing to buy online as well - are there any affordable online vendors that people use to buy CPAP machines/accessories? The only thing I'm concerned about is the mask - I feel like trying out different masks in person would be better than buying one outright online.

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:17 pm

$1700 to include an APAP, a mask, heated tubing and filters is way too pricey. The same package from several Canadian online CPAP etailers vary from $700 to $900 Canadian. During Black Friday and Boxing Week, these packages were as low as the mid to high $500 range. Unfortunately it is my understanding that OHIP pays 75% of an APAP from an ADP approved dealer. I am in Alberta so I don't keep track the finer details of this OHIP program. For OSA, insist on getting the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. A second choice would be Philips Respironics Dreamstation Auto. The Dreamstation Auto is usually a little cheaper than the Airsense 10 Autoset or Autoset for Her in Canada....at least online.

Masks in Canada vary from less than $70 to $150 (a few FFM may be more) typically online. This is good once u know which mask that works well for you.

I have bought heated tubing for $40. Some packages include heated tubing (vs standard).

Filters from Amazon Canada were like $20.

Dave