SleepyHead Project Takeover Attempt by AB

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jedimark

SleepyHead Project Takeover Attempt by AB

Post by jedimark » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm

Hi guys, just a quick SleepyHead announcement:

Please don't use ApneaBoard links downloading anything SleepyHead related, it's not an official source.

At the moment, my sleepyhead.jedimark.net server (in Singapore) is the ONLY authorised source for SleepyHead releases until I find new mirrors (which I'm actively looking for, if you can help, please let me know).

ApneaBoard is NOT affiliated with the SleepyHead project, nor is anyone there or anywhere else authorised to release on my behalf under the SleepyHead project - or announce SleepyHead releases for that matter.

ApneaBoard's recent "release committee" initiative is illegitimate and is seeking to undermine my years of work on SleepyHead and undermine my role in my own software project.

If it's NOT SleepyHead, don't call it SleepyHead, and don't make it look like SleepyHead... it's that simple!

I've removed all 1.1.0 testing links temporarily until this problem is sorted.

I'm annoyed it came to this, people I trusted to help me defend the SleepyHead project while I working toward 2.0, allowed this to happen because the grew impatient because my family obligations were temporarily slowing my progress.

1.1.0 was bad, I'm sorry... but it did identify critical flaws in SleepyHead's database design that pushed me towards this full code review and rework. so I guess not a total fail. I really wish I had an "interim" release ready for you guys, but it wasn't possible.. the ResMed bugs needed major attention.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Last edited by jedimark on Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

prodigyplace

Re: SleepyHead Project Undermining Attempt by AB

Post by prodigyplace » Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:40 pm

jedimark wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:37 pm
Hi guys, just a quick SleepyHead announcement:

Please don't use ApneaBoard links downloading anything SleepyHead related, it's not an official source.

At the moment, my sleepyhead.jedimark.net server (in Singapore) is the ONLY authorised source for SleepyHead releases until I find new mirrors (which I'm actively looking for, if you can help, please let me know).

ApneaBoard is NOT affiliated with the SleepyHead project, nor is anyone there or anywhere else authorised to release on my behalf under the SleepyHead project - or announce SleepyHead releases for that matter.

ApneaBoard's recent "release committee" initiative is illegitimate and is seeking to undermine my years of work on SleepyHead and undermine my role in my own software project.

If it's NOT SleepyHead, don't call it SleepyHead, and don't make it look like SleepyHead... it's that simple!

I've removed all 1.1.0 testing links temporarily until this problem is sorted.

I'm annoyed it came to this, people I trusted to help me defend the SleepyHead project while I working toward 2.0, allowed this to happen because the grew impatient because my family obligations were temporarily slowing my progress.

1.1.0 was bad, I'm sorry... but it did identify critical flaws in SleepyHead's database design that pushed me towards this full code review and rework. so I guess not a total fail. I really wish I had an "interim" release ready for you guys, but it wasn't possible.. the ResMed bugs needed major attention.
Thank you for all you hard work, Mark.

Many of us would not be here on CPAPTalk or using CPAP without your efforts.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:05 pm

Thank you JediMark for creating SleepyHead - You are greatly appreciated :)
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:07 pm

Mark, is there any supporter of yours that you're not going to alienate?

You seem to be having a paranoid delusional episode, and thinking that everybody is "out to get you".

The truth couldn't be further from that.

But, this time, like in the past, anytime someone doesn't agree with you, and say "yessss siiiirrr", you think they're out to get you, out to destroy SleepHead, and you lash out at them.

There's NOBODY in the sleep apnea community that wants to *hurt* sleepyhead and it's future.Please,

PLEASE, get help.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Bookit

Post by Bookit » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:12 pm

JediMark, thank you for all the time and effort you have put into Sleepyhead. You have blessed so many people. May your future endeavors be blessed!

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 pm

Thanks Palerider, your supportive message is invaluable right now. :roll:

I'm just trying to defend 8 years of hard work.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:23 pm

jedimark wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:45 pm
Thanks Palerider, your supportive message is invaluable right now. :roll:

I'm just trying to defend 8 years of hard work.
I was your friend, for several years, until you decided that I was your enemy because I suggested you talk to Pugsy about things that confused new users. Things that confused them then, and things that *continue* to confuse them now.

At that point, you decided I was *out to get you" and trying to destroy sleepyhead.

You've done the same with Arie, who's been helping you for far longer than I had, and now you've decided that Apneaboard is against you.

The fact that people don't *agree* with everything you might think DOES NOT MEAN THEY ARE AGAINST YOU!.

Your real friends aren't the sycophants that do nothing but shower you with praise.

Your real friends are the ones that actually give enough of a shit to tell you "hey, dude, you've got a problem.", or in the case of Sleepyhead "hey, what you're doing is hurting the program, and everybody that uses it.

Go ahead and let someone else work on 1.1, if you don't like it, FINE, just *ignore them*.

There's no reason for you to go off the deep end, making posts about how everybody is out to get you.

BECAUSE THEY'RE NOT out to get you[/u][/i][/b], or, destroy sleepyhead.

For Gods sake, you and I worked for hundreds of hours, you told me endless stories about your childhood and growing up and sent me pictures of your first Christmas tree, and you wearing the T-shirt I had custom made for you.... but when I suggested you talk to Pugsy about what confuses people... you were in one of your paranoid phases, and suddenly, I was *THE ENEMY*.

The same thing is happening now.

If I didn't care, about you... I'd just laugh and say "he's off his rocker again..." I'd really rather you get help though, so you can be a happier person.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 am

palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:23 pm
I was your friend, for several years, until you decided that I was your enemy because I suggested you talk to Pugsy about things that confused new users. Things that confused them then, and things that *continue* to confuse them now.
I clearly forgot to add you to the foes list on CPAPTalk PaleRider, that was a mistake, you clearly haven't changed.. You weren't exactly a true friend to me, you acted like an outright narcissist, and tried to manipulate how I spent my time invested on SleepyHead project activities, because I was doing something YOU didn't agree with it (ironically, while I was attempting to make the same kind of effort to move SleepyHead forward like I am doing now!)... and your sense of entitlement got so overwhelming to the point I simply couldn't take it anymore.

People were welcome to disagree with my decision to NOT release an official 1.1 build because of bigger issues.. That's fine. What they were NOT welcome to do, was constantly demand from me that I reconsider, when it comes at the expense of my creative vision and future plans for the project. Or at the expense of undermining the support of those committed to help out with the project. Or the extra demands of MY time that I have to put in EXTRA to ensure issues are dealt with from the community pushing releases out under the SleepyHead project name.

The simple truth is, with the current codebase problems, and constant influx of new machines, there would NEVER be a point where I could "safely" leave off development under maintenance and say let's move on to 2.0 and fix the issues that have been plaguing SleepyHead from the beginning (I was after all quite a wreck with poorly treated OSA and migraines at the beginning of this, It was NOT my best work!)

People talk about the benefits of community effort in OpenSource, but the fact of the matter, up till very recently there is really only been one person putting in the 98%+ of ALL the contributions to the projects software development... me., and people really need to learn to stop pushing and distracting me when I'm on a roll! It's not that i don't appreciate others contributions, I truly do, but I struggled to inspire people to step up and help, and it was not until it appeared from their perspective that I had stopped, that they realized they wanted to do something productive. Their productive choice was to overstep project boundaries, disrespect my rights as maintainer and push the project backwards with a binned codebase that causes problems for the massive work I'm undertaking.

These changes I am working on are totally necessary to properly support machines we have NOW, as well as provide opportunities to work on support for what's coming next, or at least allow manufacturers a path to having their intellectual property protected in a closed source importer modules (Incompatible with poorly chosen GPL3, hence my need to rework EVERYTHING and relicense under a less restrictive but still free OpenSource software license that benefits even more people) The Maintenance load for SleepyHead 1.x codebase just on keeping up with new machines is downright impossible, the code needed to be better modularised to pull this off. If I don't don't do what I am attempting to do now, SleepyHead HAS no future, even if I'm pushed out of it.

SleepyHead's code is free (as in freedom), but the time I put into building it certainly wasn't. You work in IT, I'm sure you know how a lot of the product development cycles work PaleRider...

If you want to know what SleepyHead actually cost me to bring it to your computers, add up a standard software project manager/engineers income for 8 years, and add another several hundred hours per year on top of that.... That's what I wasn't out there and earning, while a few overly entitled people amount SleepyHeads user base made sure I felt like shit by their constant demands that I spent my time offering free support and focusing on much less important bugs on my kill-list. Add to that the project resources like software & hardware I've needed, server hosting costs, basic office needs, CPAP equipment, etc which thankfully were (mostly) covered by much appreciated donations. (Thank you donators! This would have totally sucked without reliable tools & hardware!)

Basically time wise though, I did all this unpaid, for the love of it... 8 years of my life given away, in my poorly executed little attempt to help the world... Most seem only to value my work based on flow of code output, if that's your belief here's an analisis, and no not entirely an accurate model, but not complete BS either because I damn well know what I've put into it: https://www.openhub.net/p/sleepyhead/estimated_cost and not including the last 12 months of project code review and rework activity people expect me to throw away, or the other insane masses of code disgruntled community members have effectively forced me to throw away the two or three times previously I've attempted to solve these issues.

I don't bring up what this cost because I'm begging for financial support (though holy crap, after 8 years it would seriously freaking help!), I only bring it up because *I'M* the one paying for it with my effort, and my WIFE funded it by keeping me alive, forgoing the life we could have been living if had if had of been focusing my time elsewhere.

Nobody has the right to expect anything more from us than the work that has already been put in.. Says so in the license: "THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROGRAM, TO THE EXTENT PERMITTED BY APPLICABLE LAW. EXCEPT WHEN OTHERWISE STATED IN WRITING THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND/OR OTHER PARTIES PROVIDE THE PROGRAM “AS IS” WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY AND PERFORMANCE OF THE PROGRAM IS WITH YOU. SHOULD THE PROGRAM PROVE DEFECTIVE, YOU ASSUME THE COST OF ALL NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION." <-- Support costs aren't mine. Bug hunting costs or responsibility aren't mine either, although I do still somehow end up doing the vast majority of those (mainly because I don't want my work to be a pile of crap, but still nobody has any say over my time spent doing this). In short, to those entitled few who demand more from me than I have to give, read the license and either pay for the "service repair or correction", or put the work in yourself. Just note that I'm not obligated to accept contributions that aren't up to standard, break my REPOs, or diverge SleepyHead's direction or interfere with my creative vision, at the moment, in this phase of development these code contributions are useless to me.

I'm not disgusted over Pholy's fork (it's existed for years with me knowing about it)... there's tons of other forks doing awesome stuff out there.. I love them.. I'm disgusted over my decisions being disrespected and constantly questioned, my project's identity being abused, and my entire sleepyhead-dev team being undermined and taken over, leaving me with nobody I can rely on when I get close to needing testers and code contributors again on a solid code-reviewed updated codebase.

I'm disgusted others spoke for me without being authorised to do so, and nobody having the balls to outright ask me... They simply TOLD me this was happening, as if I had no choice in the matter.

If they had of afforded me a little respect and dignity out of appreciation for my work, perhaps I COULD have been motivated to come up with a workable interim solution with community help. I have no desire to keep people who refuse to do that in my inner development circles. I also didn't want to continually be jumping back and forth between two codebases like I was when I left off Discord in disgust over people not listening to me. THEY threw away the opportunity, not me.. They are just demanding it back after I already shut the door on the offer.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:35 am

jedimark wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:31 am
palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:23 pm
I clearly forgot to add you to the foes list on CPAPTalk PaleRider, that was a mistake, you clearly haven't changed.. You weren't exactly a true friend to me, you acted like an outright narcissist, and tried to manipulate how I spent my time invested on SleepyHead project activities, because I was doing something YOU didn't agree with it
Yes, this is true, I tried to get you to spend some time fixing, and changing things that confused users, and continue, to this day, to confuse users, first, instead of adding some new flashy thing.

Considering the hundreds, if not thousands of man hours that are spent telling Respironics users who are in a panic that "no, your leaks are *JUST FINE" ignore SleepyHead when it says that they're out of control... I don't think I was all that far off base.

I know you disagree.
jedimark wrote:
and constant influx of new machines,
The last big release was what, *three years ago*? .... as you put it :roll:
jedimark wrote:
Their productive choice was to overstep project boundaries, disrespect my rights as maintainer and push the project backwards with a binned codebase that causes problems for the massive work I'm undertaking.
So, why don't you just *ignore them*... why all this DRAMA?
jedimark wrote:
the last 12 months of project code review and rework activity people expect me to throw away, or the other insane masses of code disgruntled community members have effectively forced me to throw away the two or three times previously I've attempted to solve these issues.
NOBODY has suggested you throw away *anything*. I read the whole log over on your newest development chat. Nobody said anything about what you were working on, nobody said you should stop, nobody said you're help was desperately needed to fix some bugs in 1.1, nobody said you should stop what you were doing.

The first mention of you was when you started ranting at people for 'attacking you'. Then Arie made the mistake of trying to reason with you, and you dumped him as your "second in command"... for disagreeing with you.
jedimark wrote:
I don't bring up what this cost because I'm begging for financial support (though holy crap, after 8 years it would seriously freaking help!), I only bring it up because *I'M* the one paying for it with my effort, and my WIFE funded it by keeping me alive, forgoing the life we could have been living if had if had of been focusing my time elsewhere.
Do you seriously expect people to believe that you've given up a lucrative career just so you could slave away on sleepyhead? I hope nobody's that dumb. There's a reason that you've had so much spare time, but I'm not going to blab it to the world.
jedimark wrote:
. I'm disgusted over my decisions being disrespected and constantly questioned,
What happened to "people are welcome to disagree".

For you, the only "respect" is "agreement".
jedimark wrote:
my project's identity being abused, and my entire sleepyhead-dev team being undermined and taken over, leaving me with nobody I can rely on when I get close to needing testers and code contributors again on a solid code-reviewed updated codebase.
You chase them away, Mark. Anybody that dares to disagree with anything you wish.

You shouldn't model yourself after Henry VIII.
jedimark wrote:
I'm disgusted others spoke for me without being authorised to do so, and nobody having the balls to outright ask me... They simply TOLD me this was happening, as if I had no choice in the matter.

If they had of afforded me a little respect and dignity out of appreciation for my work, perhaps I COULD have been motivated to come up with a workable interim solution with community help. I have no desire to keep people who refuse to do that in my inner development circles. I also didn't want to continually be jumping back and forth between two codebases like I was when I left off Discord in disgust over people not listening to me. THEY threw away the opportunity, not me.. They are just demanding it back after I already shut the door on the offer.
You shut the door, you moved on, they decided to do something with the scraps you no longer wanted...

But now, you insist they can't even do that, and have decided to have your temper tantrum in public.

Hopefully, people will see the truth.

YOU throw away opportunities, and friends. I was a friend, not a sycophant, Arie was a friend. How many other friends have you discarded in your fury when they strayed from the path of "Yes Mark, whatever you say Mark, You're a god Mark."???

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:52 am

Lest anybody think I'm being "really mean" to Mark....

Here's another take on his recent actions:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread ... #pid284578

justvisiting

Post by justvisiting » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:21 am

This is really interesting. It made me sign up here.

@jedimark: Have you seen this thread here? viewtopic/t174455/SleepyHead-software-d ... POSAL.html If I recall correctly it was even a sticky for quite some time.
Is cpaptalk now equally "bad" as apneaboard?

I mean literally every Hosehead on this planet is forever absolutely grateful to you and has the deepest respect to you and for all your work. Myself included! And I donated too. (was actually more than I expected; wasn't aware of the exchange and transactions fees :? lesson learned)

But this actually pisses me off!
What do you actually want? Absolute control over your program? Maybe you should have thought about that in the first place and put it under a license that fits your personal need or desire.
You choose to put it under the GPL and you keep emphasizing the "free and open source" aspect. Yet, you wreak havoc if someone picks it up?

I don't see anything about the Sleepyhead name beeing your brand or any brand at all or even that the name sleepyhead is not included in your GPL-license. In fact your "license info" an your gitlabpage makes it quite clear that keeping the name and making it clear that everything is based on your work is your request. Maybe you should make such things clear before you release it.

SuperSleeper summed it up pretty good! It is not the community undermining you! It is you now undermining any community effort.

If you don't like the GPL then don't use it! - It is as simple as that.
Although: this might be a little too late. I don't know how many contributed how much of the code (under the GPL v3) - just because you are the maintainer of the repo and the core-coder does not mean that you can decide under which license the work of others is released. A License change might also intereset QT. As fas as I know they don't take lightly on license changes of the QT framework used (they actually prohibit that explicitly). You clearly have choosen the GPL-version of all the licens options.
If you need a good example look at chromium!They managed to make the difference between google chrome and chromium and still making and keeping it open source. With all the benefits for them included. (yes! all the other derivates are also providing code to chromium!)

I really don't egt why you release the binaries in the first place and then whine about those getting spread. Why do you want to sit on the ability to read new machines? Isn't sleepyhead meant to HELP patients? Wasn't that your motivation in the first place? When did that got lost in the process?

All in all this or more YOU remind me of Linus Torvald. You might want to check out how that ended up and take an example in him.

and by the way: I don't know nothing about pholynyk - but publicly discredit him because he didn't provide the proper or easiest way for you to pull HIS CODE is also not the nicest way to do things. NOT Shame on him - SHAME ON YOU!

Get some help with your project - at least with the public realtions part! (Yes! even an open source project has a community around it - you obviously about it - or US!)
But wait! That would mean, that you loose some part of your control over it ... :roll:

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:20 am

I want to start off by saying I am not a coder, software developer or anything of the sort is out of my wheel house.

To me (I may be wrong) it looks like a few people stepped up - made a post / posts on forums asking for help in the things that you have been doing by yourself, to relieve your work load, and to fix the bugs or whatever in sleepyhead. I myself do not think they were trying to take over, push you away etc. I think in the past you might have asked for help with sleepyhead and did not get the response as they have

I had some Sleepyhead print outs and my Sleep Dr said they are way better then the program she uses lol.

I want to thank you personally Jedi for Sleepyhead. Man that program along with learning how to use it, pugs and others and the 2 forums saved my life some 5 or so years ago. --- Ill leave "the story" in my signature as that is when my journey started.

Thank You
Eric D.

I wish there was a way all of you guys could mend fences etc life is just too damn short

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:32 am

As interesting as this tour of the SleepyHead Sausage Factory is, could someone please walk me back to the lobby before there's a need to call a carpet cleaner?
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am

Well, you'll all be glad to know my piece of shit effort is shut down for good
http://jedimark.net/2019/02/08/sleepyhe ... -shutdown/

Thanks for all the support

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:37 am

jedimark wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:13 am
. . . shut down . . . Thanks . . . support . . .
Mark,

The work you did stands. But all volunteers have to know when to modify the nature of their participation for reasons of health and well-being.

Children eventually move out of the parents' house, but the influence of the parents can continue to live on in the love they have shown and continue to show as they remain available as supportive consultants. There can be pain in that, sure. But there can also be joys whenever that door is kept open.

I don't know you, Mark. But thank you for what you have done for others in your life and for whatever you see your way clear to do for others in the future, too, sir.

Do take care of yourself.

-Jeff
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.