Sleepyhead seems to not be showing my actual sleep time

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
coconut

Sleepyhead seems to not be showing my actual sleep time

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:40 am

Hi. I generally don't look at my data, but decided to fire up the Sleepyhead program and import. I had installed it sometime back and was impressed. But when I had it import my data, there seem to be a lot of nights with exactly 44 minutes of data, and a lot of nights with large therapy gaps which didn't exist in the real world. In fact, none of the recent nights looks particularly like reality.

I'm wondering if my CPAP's internal clock is screwy... no way I can see to set it or even read it.. if nothing is actually broken, seems like extreme clock drift might be the answer, but I can't tell. It would have to be VERY offset. Should I mess with that?

Thanks.

PAP Mode: ASV (Variable EPAP)
Min EPAP 4.0 Max IPAP 8.5 PS 0.5-3.0 (cmH2O)
Using Sleepyhead on Mac OS10.10.5

Dog Slobber

Re: Sleepyhead seems to not be showing my actual sleep time

Post by Dog Slobber » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:46 am

Sure, why not.

Now, if you want answers that aren't just guesses, post some SleepyHead charts.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:48 am

Get Encore Pro if you can and see what it says the usage is. You need to see what Encore is also showing to confirm whether the problem is with the machine or with SleepyHead.
There are a few bugs in SleepyHead and especially when the model 960 is being used.

Encore Pro...Windows only software though and you can find out how to get it over on the apneaboard forum.
Need to register and log in to see the area where it is explained how to get Encore.
https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:12 pm

Thanks, sounds like good advice. I actually have Encore Pro installed on an old windows laptop around SOMEwhere, so I guess I should try to find it and see if my password has lapsed.

In terms of posting charts, I'm trying to "use my words" first. Like, last night the machine was on me for about 5.5 hrs, but the "daily" chart shows only 44 minutes and 57 seconds. In fact, two days before there are only TWO sessions of exactly that same length separated by a blank spot of hours. Indeed, there are a LOT of 44:57 sessions and a lot of missing time. Most days show nothing but that... not all, but most

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:32 pm

It could be the sd card pop a new one in they do go bad.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm

OK, I found the windows laptop and managed to remember my Encore Pro password eventually - like 2+ years since I fired it up.

Bottom line, the session data all showed up normally.

This would seem to indicate that the SD card is fine and the CPAP is fine, and the problem is with Sleepyhead, right?

The issue of many nights consisting of one or two widely-spaced periods of exactly 44:57 seems like a real glitch. Has anyone seen that before?

Thanks.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:29 pm

here's an attachment... looks like the data went wonky around mid-December, with a lot of 44:57 sessions showing up in lieu of the actual sessions.

sleepyhead whatsis.png
sleepyhead whatsis.png (17.07 KiB) Viewed 3862 times

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:32 pm

coconut wrote:
Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:16 pm
OK, I found the windows laptop and managed to remember my Encore Pro password eventually - like 2+ years since I fired it up.

Bottom line, the session data all showed up normally.

This would seem to indicate that the SD card is fine and the CPAP is fine, and the problem is with Sleepyhead, right?

The issue of many nights consisting of one or two widely-spaced periods of exactly 44:57 seems like a real glitch. Has anyone seen that before?

Thanks.
Could you send me a zip of your entire SD card, please? I'll get it over to the people working on the sleepyhead replacement software, I'm hoping they'll care more about fixing weird bugs.

Upload link: https://www.dropbox.com/request/0LalWvEsijRIgX8sdM7H

Also, you can *try* doing a data rebuild (from the data tab on the menu) and see if that fixes it.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:51 pm

So... just to poke around, I decided to create a "new user" in Sleepyhead and upload from the same card, in case the existing user had gotten corrupted or something.

Interesting result. The days are all still screwed up, but instead of multiple 44:57 segments, the ubiquitous segments are now 1hr 14minutes. All over the place.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:05 pm

Palerider - I'm uploading a zipped copy of the data card per your suggestion. Perhaps you can copy them the symptoms as well. Nice to hear there's someone working on an updated program.

I'm now going to try a fresh SD card... why not, right? I don't expect it to change anything, but nice to isolate the variables.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:09 pm

Which version of SleepyHead? 1.0 or 1.1?
They did do some bug fixes with 1.1...and not some others...so I don't know if it will be less buggy or not but might be worth a try.
If you want to try 1.1 you can find it here.
https://www.apneaboard.com/sleepyhead/
It's not complete and with no official installer and some stuff is missing but it might give you sufficient information.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:17 pm

Aaaaand.....

here's the results of popping in a virgin 2gb SD card.

The data now only goes back to Nov, and it's seemingly almost entirely fragmented into segments of length 1hr 14min 57seconds. Check out the attached image.

So it isn't the SD card, it's something the sleepyhead program is doing with the data on the SD card.

sleepyhead screwy2.png
sleepyhead screwy2.png (24.55 KiB) Viewed 3843 times

BrianinTN

Post by BrianinTN » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:51 pm

I posted about this same issue with the same machine (PR 60 series ASV) a couple weeks ago:
https://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174673

So yes, it does seem like it's an issue with Sleepyhead and our ASVs.

As I mentioned in my comments in that thread, the Sleepyhead 1.1 beta exhibited this bug the same as in 1.0.0-beta-2.

@palerider, if a second SD card upload would be helpful, let me know, and I'm happy to provide mine. It has sporadic data going back to 2011.

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:08 pm

OK, and round out this exercise in deductive reasoning, I just installed the latest beta version of sleepyhead on an entirely different mac, created a new user, and inserted the "new" SD card, to see if the existing sleepyhead got corrupted somehow.

Result? Identical to the fragmentation which the last graphic shows from that card on the original sleepyhead and mac implementation.

So... it can't be the CPAP or card because it works on EncorePro OK. It doesn't seem to be a matter of the sleepyhead program being corrupted on the mac. It could be that the sleepyhead program is having a problem with my ASV machine, but until the last data upload it seemed to work flawlessly with that machine.

That doesn't leave us much to work with.

Could be that the internal memory on the cpap machine became corrupted sometime in Nov or Dec? But if so, why does it work fine with EncorePro using the same SD media?

Note that all the fresh data on the virgin SD card is fragmented, while it didn't appear until later in the first graphic. Could be that the data already written to the sleepyhead program prevented it from being fractionated prior to Dec 20 or so, while with a "fresh user" with no existing data, all data appears fractionated.

I had wondered if the sheer volume of data downloaded this time might have choked sleepyhead.... but on the fresh card there's far less data, and it's still messed up in a fresh version of sleepyhead on an entirely different machine.

Sorta seems like some idiosyncratic sleepyhead bug has surfaced.

I don't see where the problem is hiding. But it certainly exists, to the point that sleepyhead is not usable for me at present. A shame.

-DJ

coconut

Post by coconut » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:18 pm

BrianinTN - didn't see your reply until after I had posted my latest results.

Interesting... and concurs with my thinking that this must be a bug that shows up with the ASV machine. I read your string, and can report that NOTHING was changed or tweaked on my software before this occurred. Worked for a long time, then stopped working on this data upload.

Without understanding programming, or the structure of how the program works, I'm not qualified to speculate further. I appreciate the fact that you tested out the more advanced beta and confirmed that the bug is still there.

Also interesting to me that for any given implementation, the program will pick a specific spurious short file length to insert and stick to it, yours being different from my first, and my second being different from both. At least if ALL of our oddly short session segments were 44:57 or something, it would indicate some regularity.

Methinks that somebody will need to do a deep dive into the code to find a fix for this. Finger crossed.