ResMed N30i User Review

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
realshelby

ResMed N30i User Review

Post by realshelby » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:31 am

First know that I bought this mask out of my pocket. No discounts, no freebie, no insurance. No affiliation. No commercial to follow.....

I want to first compare this to the Dreamwear nasal cushion. Very similar in design. The one functional problem I have had with the Dreamwear is a drop in air volume when laying on my side if/when the cushion shifts a bit. Otherwise it is one of two masks where I get basically zero leakage and it is VERY comfortable to wear.

Starting with the N30i headgear frame, it is more flexible than the Dreamwear. Touted as a spring, it does stretch more. It has sort of built in cheek padding. That does feel nice, but I also think it is slicker against the skin and moves when on your side more than the Dreamwear style. The adjustable strap is made nice and is secure enough. It does not have the stickier neoprene style backing like the Dreamwear, which doesn't seem to move around at all.

Nasal cushion is quite a bit different on the N30i compared to the Dreamwear. It has two openings, a support bridge between them. Openings are larger, even on small size. This does allow more airflow into your nose than the Dreamwear. Which only really matters like when you get up and walk a ways to the bathroom at night or first lay down. You absolutely MUST try different cushions with this! What seems to work when testing may not be what works all night!!! These cradle your nose a bit, not quite like a Bravida, but certainly different from the Dreamwear. The cushion is backed by hard plastic. Which might keep the shape better, but this does not seem to inflate and fit quite as well as other nasal masks. More on that part later.

Venting is similar to the Dreamwear in that it vents both at the nasal cushion and at the elbow at the top of the frame where the hose connects. Where is differs is the N30i has multiple holes in the cushion to better disperse the air flow vented out. I was hoping for something like the P10. It actually flows more air out the vent than the Dreamwear and is at least as bothersome as the Dreamwear in that respect. Not as bad as a Swift FX, but you can put your hand several inches in front of the mask and still feel significant airflow. So yes, it will blow against covers and pillows and make noise. Top vent is never noticed. Quite disappointed in the venting not being more dispersed like the P10.

Noise is similar to the Dreamwear. Both have noise that probably isn't audible, or barely so, to a partner ( except when venting hits a cover or pillow!). They both seem to amplify breathing patterns with the hollow air tubing/frame. I would say they are close to equal. This is something you have to get used to. It doesn't bother me now, but know the noise is there.

Hose attachment is supposed to be made by using the removable elbow on the N30i. It has two tabs on the sides that release it. This setup works really well on ResMeds full face masks. But it should have been left off this mask! Two things that are wrong with it. One is you cannot feel the opening on the top of the frame where it goes so you have to "hunt" for it. Which wakes you up even more.....Second is that the very flexible frame simply crushes down when you try to click it into place. Unless you have it aligned just right, it just doesn't work very well. Like the Dreamwear, I simply pull the hose off the connector. You can feel both pieces, simple and easy to reattach.

I have finished 3 full nights on this. Wanted to go a week before writing this. Not going to happen. My nose still hurts from wearing it night before last! Here is the problem that I don't see an answer for. To get this mask to seal decently, you have to tighten the straps more than any other mask I have worn. First night I woke my wife up twice ripping the velcro loose to tighten it. The headgear is softer and more flexible than the Dreamwear, and once you have worn it a while your body heat seems to soften it more. Leading to stretching and needing to tightening the straps more. I tightened it the second night so that I could make up for that and get a good seal. But the plastic part on the back of the cushion, along with just a lot of pressure, pushes into my nose bridge between the nostrils. Didn't realize how bad it was until I removed it that morning. Simply WAY too tight. But the leaks were ok. Last night I loosened the straps. Leaking was there, I just put up with it. But it did wake me. Which isn't going to work for me.

I LOVE a top mount hose. I have tried to make other masks work that allow you to velcro the hose to the top of the headgear. Just not enough support to work well. Both the Dreamwear and N30i work very, very well at keeping the hose a non factor in a nights sleep. Which is worth a lot as I have woken up with the hose fully wrapped around my neck before!

The venting was a BIG disappointment right off for me. ResMed had an opportunity to go with P10 style venting and did not. While the headgear is touted to act like a spring, it seems too soft to me and simply is NOT as secure as the Dreamwear because of that. While I like the larger air openings, for whatever reason I cannot get any of the different cushions to seal nearly as well as the Dreamwear cushion does. I suspect the hard plastic doesn't give, and that means the cushion cannot conform as well.

This is 11 masks I have bought since June. I just knew it would be perfect, as I thought it would fix a couple things I didn't like about the Dreamwear. Surprised when I read some negative reviews. But I see exactly where it doesn't work like it should. ResMed missed an opportunity here, I think this could have been a big hit like the P10. While there will be some noses this works for, with the number of reviews with negative reports already, I don't see this becoming more popular than the Dreamwear. The Dreamwear is still the best. In my opinion based on using them both. I used the Dreamwear several nights before this arrived, just to be sure about comparing them.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

CreativeChris

Re: ResMed N30i User Review

Post by CreativeChris » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Shit. I just got one to go along with my new machine. I always go back to the Dreamwear with pillows or the p10. I thought it would be nice to not have pillows up my nose anymore... I hope I have better results even though it doesn’t seem promising.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:55 am

It is still worth trying. Might be fine for you. For instance, I simply hate the Dreamwear with pillows, but the Dreamwear cushion is one of my favorite mask setups! The Dreamwear pillows are similar to the Nuance Pro pillows, which I would say is my favorite mask overall now. Just how the angle of them is held in the Dreamwear that doesn't work for me.

Most of the time when a new mask or about anything comes out the reviews are pretty positive. This mask really didn't get as much of that as I expected it would. I had my doubts but bought it anyway. I tend to be brutally honest with reviews of anything. Sometimes that hurts feelings. But it also may keep someone from paying a good bit of money for something that, like mine, will be put back in the box...........
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 am

CreativeChris wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:19 pm
I hope I have better results even though it doesn’t seem promising.
Try not to let one (or more for that matter) person's negative experience with any mask cloud your own perceptions of a mask.
Also....don't think that someone else's positive experience with a mask will mean that you have the same experience either.

We are all different individuals with different preferences, wants and needs which makes each of us look at a mask in a different manner and makes our own experiences very specific to our own needs.

With any mask out there there are going to be lovers and haters. It's the life of any mask.
All masks have pros and cons...all of them. One person's pros might just turn around and be someone else's cons because needs/preferences are so different.

The N30i is relatively new to the US market...just released here not long ago. With time as the forum members here (and most are in the US) will get a chance to try it...some will love it and some will hate it.

I have yet to even see this new mask. My DME didn't even know it existed until I called him up and asked him if I could maybe get a demo model to try. I try pretty much any new mask IF it looks interesting to me...not necessarily because I am unhappy with my current mask either. I don't try many full face masks...they simply don't interest me if they have anything that touches the bridge of the nose area. Same with nasal masks that touch the nasal bridge area. I learned from past experiments that I simply don't do well with anything touching my nasal bridge area. Experimenting with masks is how we learn what our own personal preferences, needs and wants end up being....we have to try to learn.

When you go into a mask experiment....go into it with the idea that it is a learning experience....to learn about yourself and what your preferences are. Don't expect your preferences to always be the same as someone else's preferences either......we are all individuals.
So sit back and take a hard look at what your preferences, wants and needs are.....because those are what are important to you.
Doesn't matter what someone else might say about any mask or their preferences. There's no guarantee that you will have the same.

And yes....I know mask experimentation is expensive...that's why I tell people to watch for other members failed experiments when they offer up a gently used mask for cheap or for free on the forum. I learned a long time ago that just because one person hated a mask doesn't mean that I would hate the mask.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Coffee Man

Post by Coffee Man » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 am

For what it's worth, I've been using the N30i exclusively for 8 weeks (original cushion has held up well) and really like it. For me, it is more stable than the DreamWear nasal cushion. Most nights I have no leaks.

Like Pugsy said, don't let positive or negative reviews discourage you. I have tried 8 masks and this is definitely my preferred mask.

Regarding the noise associated with the N30i and DreamWear, it becomes a nonissue if you are able to sleep with foam earplugs!

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:36 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 am
Regarding the noise associated with the N30i and DreamWear, it becomes a nonissue if you are able to sleep with foam earplugs!
And I've found it becomes a nonissue after the first night or two, even without earplugs.

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:59 am

The noise can be dealt with. But the venting is something different. Once you try a mask like the P10 or the Bravida, you know they can make a mask that does not blow cold air onto you or make noise when the vent blast hits a pillow or blanket.

Pugsy is exactly right in what she wrote. You cannot make a mask that fits all the noses perfectly. Or sleeping conditions.

But what I wrote was not biased, and I try to keep out the natural tendency to claim anything you just bought is the best thing ever. Brutally honest is just that.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

realshelby

Post by realshelby » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:04 am

Coffee Man wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:34 am
For what it's worth, I've been using the N30i exclusively for 8 weeks (original cushion has held up well) and really like it. For me, it is more stable than the DreamWear nasal cushion. Most nights I have no leaks.

Like Pugsy said, don't let positive or negative reviews discourage you. I have tried 8 masks and this is definitely my preferred mask.

If you are the same "coffee man" that is on the Apnea Board, then I wonder why your review over there was different?

Copied from Apnea Board post

I'm updating my initial review of the N30i.

I used the N30i for 2 weeks, and I've gone back to the Dreamwear.

The N30i and Dreamwear are very similar, but I went back to the Dreamwear for a few reasons.

The N30i vents much more air than the Dreamwear. This had the effect of depleting the humidifier reservoir to near empty on most nights. It never emptied completely, but probably would have if I required higher pressures, or if I slept longer. I have the humidity control set to Auto.

My leak rate was consistently higher (compared to Dreamwear), no matter how the mask was adjusted.

AHI doubled, usually from less than 0.5 to over 1 (I know, no big deal in the grand scheme of things!). My average and 95% pressure also increased with the N30i compared to the Dreamwear.

I didn't find the N30i frame as comfortable as it is larger and heavier than the Dreamwear.

I think the noise of both masks is very similar, despite the more diffuse venting of the N30i. Initially, I thought the N30i was quieter, but when I went back to using the Dreamwear, I realized the noise is about the same.

The N30i has some nice features, particulary the nasal cushions with different shapes, but the Dreamwear works better for me.

I'd be interested to see how other people compare the N30i and Dreamwear, once the N30i is more widely available.
Min 7 Max 20 (cmH2O)

Coffee Man

Post by Coffee Man » Fri Feb 22, 2019 2:30 pm

realshelby,

Same Coffee Man.

I went back to the N30i and gave it another try. I did have to do some adjustments to the straps to achieve a better fit, but now everything is set. My AHI is back under 1, most nights I have no leak, and feel like the N30i is much less likely to shift out of position. I was concerned about the longevity of the nasal cradle cushion but I have 56 days of use on the original cushion and it still seals and looks good.

The humidity has been fine and I think I might have been going through water more quickly due to leaks. The leaks are straightened out and the humidifier is still half full after 7 hours.

The N30i vents well and seems less likely to have condensation compared to the DreamWear.

So, for me, the N30i works better than the DreamWear.

I should post another update on the other board.

2kittymom

Post by 2kittymom » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:34 pm

I have used both and I like them equally well - so I’m doing a week with one, then a week with the other. They are so similar to me that I can’t honestly choose one over the other.

CreativeChris

Post by CreativeChris » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm

So I slept with mine for about 5 hours and just could not get a good seal. Also the frame is too small for me. I went back to my trusty Dreamwear with pillows. It may work well for someone with a smaller head but mine is huge (both literally and figuratively... :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I went so far as to call Apria and tell them I hate it and just do my replenishments with Dreamwear gear. It seemed so promising but I really just can't pull away from my trusty pillows. I did have a similar problem with the Dreamwear cushion as well.

On the other hand, with my new Aircurve despite the leaking and tight fit my AHI was 0.2! :D

fredouil

Post by fredouil » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:09 pm

yeah

a bit of the same here,

not as comfortable and silent as the P10, good concept, less leaks but the base of my nose hurts quite a bit in the morning :-(

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:29 pm

CreativeChris wrote:
Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:50 pm
So I slept with mine for about 5 hours and just could not get a good seal. Also the frame is too small for me. I went back to my trusty Dreamwear with pillows. It may work well for someone with a smaller head but mine is huge (both literally and figuratively... :lol: :lol: :lol: ).

I went so far as to call Apria and tell them I hate it and just do my replenishments with Dreamwear gear. It seemed so promising but I really just can't pull away from my trusty pillows. I did have a similar problem with the Dreamwear cushion as well.

On the other hand, with my new Aircurve despite the leaking and tight fit my AHI was 0.2! :D
I also have found the standard N30i frame to be on the small side. Hope that they will have an optional large frame in the near future. I have used the optional large Dreamwear frame which I have found to be only slightly larger that their standard frame....it just barely fit me. The Dreamwear cushion is on the sideline due to its noise.

Dave

KathyJL

Post by KathyJL » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:07 am

Thanks to my DME who encouraged me to try it, I've been using the N30i for 2 weeks now. Gotta say that I love it. I'm coming from the Aloha, which I've been a loyal user of for 5+ years. But the N30i is going to be a game-changer for me. I still will use the Aloha sometimes, because I seem to need a break from whatever I'm using every few months. However, N30i works for me because...
1) Headgear doesn't slip!!! Hallelujah! I've had problems with headgear slipping in back with every mask I've ever worn. Tried using velcro, but it ripped out my hair. The N30i stays in place!! This makes for a night with few interruptions to pull down the headgear.
2) Pillows don't go into your nose. The holes just form a seal. I used a size Small. I tried the other two, but the Small was better by far. It took a little getting used to, but now I'm all good. Maybe I can finally get that nose stud that I've wanted but been afraid the nasal pillows would bump at night.
3) The tubing on top of my head is awesome! I would often use the velcro piece to pull the tubing on top of my head for the Aloha, so it's perfect that the N30i just naturally does that.
4) Rubber material is soft and comfortable and doesn't leave marks on my face!
I'm telling you, this mask addresses so many of the issues I've had for years. As with any mask, it will work with some people but not with others. Hope it's a solution for many!
Daily user of CPAP since 2009.
Use very low humidity or pass through.
Slightly heated hose. Hose cozy.
Masks: Alternate between N30i, Aloha, Tap Pap, & occasional BleepSleep.

Hopeful50

Post by Hopeful50 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:34 am

Longtime Dreamwear user here. I picked up my N30i a week ago, and used it for 5 nights.

I had already made up my mind the N30i was going to be the perfect "upgrade" from the Dreamwear - diffused venting, a more stable cushion, and a stay-put headgear strap. And while it does have a more stable cushion and a stay-put headgear strap, the venting and leakage are disappointing:

- Though the front vent is diffused, it seems to put out a LOT more air, and the air is directed downward instead of straight out. This makes it hard to keep the air from blowing onto my hands and arms. (If I place my index finger across my upper lip, right under the cushion, the vented air actually hits my finger!)
- Sleepyhead consistently shows my baseline leak rate with the Dreamwear at 0, with a few "spikes" of leakage here and there. With the N30i, even though I can't detect any leaks when I put it on, Sleepyhead shows the leaks never going below 3, with significantly more leaks throughout the night.
- The Dreamwear cushion has one wide opening for the air to pass from the tubing into the nose. The N30i has two openings, separated by a "bridge." I experienced a sort of tickling sensation, as if that little bridge between the openings was flapping around and touching my nose.
I also have found the standard N30i frame to be on the small side. Hope that they will have an optional large frame in the near future.
There IS a large frame available. My DME brought out both for me to try on, and the standard size was just right.