2.5 Years and seeking help

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

2.5 Years and seeking help

Post by Rainmom17 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:07 am

Hi, I haven't posted in a long time, but I'm hitting a level of frustration and felt like it was time to reach out again. I started CPAP in July 2017. So, it's been about 2.5 years. I am comfortable sleeping with the mask, traveling with the equipment, and following the protocol. My AHI averages about 1.4. My husband is thrilled that i no longer snore. I sleep well - when I put the mask on, I can breathe through my nose, which isn't true for me when I lie down without the mask. I am 100% compliant. I sleep about 7 hours/night. I have the AirFit20 (I haven't posted in so long, I'm not sure that's the correct name.) So, why am I posting? Since starting CPAP, I have gained 30 pounds. Fastest weight gain of my life. I am counting calories and recording my activity with a FitBit. I burn a couple hundred more calories a day than I consume. I was gaining weight before CPAP, but gaining a little more rapidly since starting. I am going through perimenopause (at the age of 55, unfortunately still dealing with this) with no end to my periods in sight. A hormone test reveals that my female hormones are too low, but I can't do HRT because of a clotting disorder. I am using progesterone drops, and I think they've helped with anxiety but nothing else. Effects of CPAP: I do feel like my head is a little clearer. But my body feels like crap. Feels like a steady physical decline. Aches, pains, and problems literally from head to toe. Mornings are the worst. I never wake up feeling rested. I am chalking most of my problems up to hormones. But also wondering why after 2.5 years of CPAP, I don't feel better, despite having "good numbers." Blood work doesn't reveal anything significant, except somewhat low Vitamin D and low Ferritin. Any thoughts?

Julie

Re: 2.5 Years and seeking help

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:08 am

What are your pressure settings?

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:16 am

I think it's 9.5-14.5.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:26 am

Just curious why the max is that low... have you tried raising min. by 1-2 cms?

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:27 am

Last edited by Julie on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:14 am

I just looked it up and my pressure setting is actually 9-14.5. The 90% Pressure reading on my phone ranges from 9.8-11.3, but usually around 10.0. I thought because my AHI was good that there'd be no reason to raise my minimum. So once my AHI settled down into the low 1.0-1.5 range, I stopped tinkering with it. The weight gain and feeling crappy physically have been there since the start. So, help me understand: raising the minimum is good to do regardless of AHI?
(Can't post sleepyhead graphs for a couple of days)

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:19 am

Maybe wait for SH and then post again in this thread. Don't want to guess at anything.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:48 am

I just did a quick search on progesterone and WebMD lists several side effects including weight gain. Here is what it said: "However, progesterone can cause many side effects including stomach upset, changes in appetite, weight gain, fluid retention and swelling (edema), fatigue, acne, drowsiness or insomnia, allergic skin rashes, hives, fever, headache, depression, breast discomfort or enlargement, premenstrual syndrome (PMS)-like symptoms, altered menstrual cycles, irregular bleeding, and other side effects."

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:56 am

I am leaning towards the hormonal stuff messing with your sleep and how you feel more than something related to OSA that could be remedied by a little tweaking of the machine's settings.

Welcome to the joys that mother nature brings us at this stage in our life....she's a bitch. :lol:

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:40 pm

Pugsy, thanks for your reply. I only started the progesterone in Sept. 2018, and the weight gain, aches, etc, have been going on much longer than that. So, taking progesterone can't really be the problem. But, I saw your other reply and yes, I've been thinking it's hormonal crap. So much joy. :wink: