Asians! Any full face mask suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
casereport

Asians! Any full face mask suggestions?

Post by casereport » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:00 am

Asking all Asians(particularly East Asians?):
Most of the full face masks I've tried leak so badly because my nose bridge is relatively flat.
Any full face mask suggestions? I can't wear any nasal masks/nose pillows.

Hopeful50

Re: Asians! Any full face mask suggestions?

Post by Hopeful50 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:05 am

The Dreamwear Full Face mask might work for you, it doesn't go over the nose at all:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-dre ... k-headgear

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:30 am

Not Asian but I was going to suggest the above mask.

Topic reminds me of a comment by Goofproof -
Re: Best Masks for Asian Faces
Post by Goofproof » Tue May 20, 2014 8:52 pm

It's funny most of the masks for americans are made by Asians, but since we no longer have Americans making products, it might be hard to find a mask for Asians made in America. Thank you Global Economy, and the sellout Corporations. Jim

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 am

Asian-heritage female here.

I tried the F10, F30, and Dreamwear FFM. I only used the F10 for a week -- it put pressure on the bridge (?) of my nose that felt like the pressure I would put on it when trying to stop a nosebleed. The F30 worked for a few weeks but then leaked horribly. Dreamwear FFM is a little flatter and I used that for about a month. Although I was measured for a small, I found the Dreamwear was more comfortable in a medium. Used that for a while but found high leaks. Couldn't sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time from January-February.

Last week, I bought Dreamwear nasal pillows and new headstraps that fit in the Dreamwear frame and have been very happy with the results--slept 5+ hours without waking for a week now. Have not woken to a leak in the past week. I bought medium pillows but would like to try small next month when I go back to the DME.

Would be interested in comparing notes.

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:44 am

You might think about trying a hybrid mask.
Mine has pillows plus a mouth mask.

https://www.cpap.com/cpap-masks/hybrid-cpap-mask

D.H.

Post by D.H. » Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am

Your best bet is to find a sleep technician or sleep doctor who is Asian. Preferably, one who has a nose similar to yours.

Note also that you might need a different size that your overall dimensions might suggest if you live in European majority country.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 am

D.H. wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 8:49 am
Your best bet is to find a sleep technician or sleep doctor who is Asian. Preferably, one who has a nose similar to yours.

Note also that you might need a different size that your overall dimensions might suggest if you live in European majority country.
Quoted to preserve.

This is gold, even better than his comment on the African American nose.
  • OP: Hello, I'm looking for a new sleep doctor. Is your office taking new patients.
    Receptionist: Yes we are.
    OP: Good and could you please describe racial heritage of the doctor.
    Receptionist: Excuse me.
    OP: I'm looking for an Asian featured Dr.
    Receptionist: Uh......
    OP: But not just any Asian, preferably East Asian, but I might settle for South-East Asians, but no South Asians. Nothing South of Indonesia though.
    Receptionist: I...
    OP: And please, Western and Northern Asians aren't even a consideration.
    Receptionist: I'm not sure I can help you.
    OP: Just look at them. And while you're at it, have a look at their nose. The flatter the better and not much in the bridge area.
    Receptionist: ...
    OP: Have you got any pictures? Profiles would be helpful.
    Receptionist: I think you should try other Medical Centres.
    OP: OK. Hey while I have you on the line, do you know any good Asian fast food places. Something like the Panda Expess? Preferably East Asian, definitely not South-Asian. Thai wouldn't be bad either.
    Receptionist: [click]
@OP,

As suggested try the DreamWear or any mask that contact the nose at the base not the bridge.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:19 am

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 am
D.H. wrote:

Quoted to preserve.

• OP: Hello, I'm looking for a new sleep doctor. Is your office taking new patients.
    OP: But not just any Asian, preferably East Asian, but I might settle for South-East Asians, but no South Asians. Nothing South of Indonesia though.
    OP: Just look at them. And while you're at it, have a look at their nose. The flatter the better and not much in the bridge area.
    OP: OK. Hey while I have you on the line, do you know any good Asian fast food places. Something like the Panda Expess? Preferably East Asian, definitely not South-Asian. Thai wouldn't be bad either.
@OP,

As suggested try the DreamWear or any mask that contact the nose at the base not the bridge.
PERFECT response

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:53 pm

D.H..jpg
D.H. wrote:

metsfan302

Post by metsfan302 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:23 pm

Dog slobber, I am dying over here, you win. Thank you :lol:

Additional Comments: Prior - ResMed AirCurve ASV User
This is my Orig Post "The start of my venture to find proper therapy" - http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic.php?f ... &sk=t&sd=a

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:44 pm

Dog Slobber: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You totally made my day!

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 pm

On a more serious note to "casereport"....have you tried Amara View? It makes contact under your nostrils & goes over your mouth. Nothing on the bridge of your nose. If you look after my name, click on my mask and you'll see a picture.

casereport

Post by casereport » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Chris8243 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:46 pm
On a more serious note to "casereport"....have you tried Amara View? It makes contact under your nostrils & goes over your mouth. Nothing on the bridge of your nose. If you look after my name, click on my mask and you'll see a picture.
Thank you! This will solve the leak issue, but my nose gets irritated really easily when I try nasal or nasal pillows so I will keep it on my list just in case! Thanks a lot :-)

casereport

Post by casereport » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:19 am
D.H. wrote:

Quoted to preserve.

@OP,

Thanks. I will try the Dreamwear.

casereport

Post by casereport » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:20 pm

Spot123 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:46 am
Asian-heritage female here.

I tried the F10, F30, and Dreamwear FFM. I only used the F10 for a week -- it put pressure on the bridge (?) of my nose that felt like the pressure I would put on it when trying to stop a nosebleed. The F30 worked for a few weeks but then leaked horribly. Dreamwear FFM is a little flatter and I used that for about a month. Although I was measured for a small, I found the Dreamwear was more comfortable in a medium. Used that for a while but found high leaks. Couldn't sleep more than 2-3 hours at a time from January-February.

Last week, I bought Dreamwear nasal pillows and new headstraps that fit in the Dreamwear frame and have been very happy with the results--slept 5+ hours without waking for a week now. Have not woken to a leak in the past week. I bought medium pillows but would like to try small next month when I go back to the DME.

Would be interested in comparing notes.
Yes! Had the exact same problem with F10. It actually sat on my nose bridge and closed my nasal airways. And then I got a weird claustrophobic feeling at night and just rip it off my face in my sleep. F10 also leaked so much that I would wake up to the noise of pressurized air whistling out of my mask.

I am glad the nasal pillows worked for you. I have a really sensitive nose and I would nosebleed a lot whenever I tried nasal or nasal pillows.

I guess I will try F20... with thick silicon lining.