Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
RayWH

Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask

Post by RayWH » Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:18 pm

I have been on CPAP for 20 years, first with a nasal mask, and for the last 5 years with nasal pillows. I may need to have sinus surgery, which would necessitate using a full face mask for my CPAP. I have tried to use a full face mask before, for only a few minutes. It seemed intolerable, with air either blowing back through the nose or mouth, and feeling a burst of air on to the face in exhalation. What is the secret to using a full face mask? Should I need less pressure? Is it easier with exhalation relief (EPR) or without EPR? Would a nose clip help? Are there mouth devices that assure I keep my mouth open and breath through my mouth? Has anyone else had these issues, and if so, how did you solve it?

Janknitz

Re: Learning to Tolerate Full Face Mask

Post by Janknitz » Wed Mar 20, 2019 5:47 pm

I have tried to use a full face mask before, for only a few minutes. It seemed intolerable, with air either blowing back through the nose or mouth, and feeling a burst of air on to the face in exhalation
First, are you SURE you are going to be able to really use even a FF mask after sinus surgery? You may have a lot of swelling--are you really going to be able to tolerate a FF mask over the sinus cavities??? Sounds like you need to discuss this in more detail with your ENT. What about a total face mask that doesn't touch your face anywhere near your nose and cheeks???

Secondly, ordinarily you should still try to keep your mouth closed in a FF mask. You will not be able to breathe through your nose because of the sinus surgery, I'm guessing so mouth breathing may be obligatory. Prepare for a very dry mouth! I use a FF mask when I have a cold or bronchitis or pneumonia (very recently) and mouth breathing is just going to dry out my mouth--I know it. My asthma has been so bad and the pneumonia shortness of breath, though, that I didn't feel like I was getting enough air in my usual nasal Dreamwear mask, causing panic attacks, so I'm more comfortable in the short term in my FF mask. I hope to switch back to my DreamWear soon.

I've never had the sensation of the FF mask "blowing back through the nose or mouth" or a "burst of air to the face on exhalation" you describe, unless the exhalation port is positioned to bounce the air off the bedclothes back into your face--be sure to check that. It may be because I have my APAP set to NO pressure relief. I don't need it, and on my old machine it was too noisy. I like the steady pressure and find it comforting--you may want to try that to see if these sensations are decreased. (Practice before your surgery).

The single most difficult thing with a FF mask, IMHO is getting a good seal without tearing up your nose. There's so much surface area where a leak can occur. I tend to tighten the mask around the lower straps and leave the upper straps as loose as possible without allowing leaking--you want the cushion around the nose to fully inflate so it will hug your nose without pressure from the straps as much as possible. That will reduce leaking or at least direct leaks down your chin instead of into your eyes. Especially after surgery with swelling, you don't want to be cranking on those straps over your sinus cavities.

Good luck with your surgery--I hope you have the outcome you hope for.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:29 pm

I found that to be the easiest mask to get used to. I hated the pillows.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:59 pm

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

chartle

Post by chartle » Wed Mar 20, 2019 7:48 pm

When I first started I started to wear a sore on the bridge of my nose so I put a little triangle of toilet paper to cover it. It toughened up but then I found mask liners.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:47 am

RayWH wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:18 pm
RayWH
1. What is the reason for the surgery?
2. What type of surgery?
3. Will packing be used? Which kind of packing?

See - https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/316953.php

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:41 am

For me there was no great secret. The easiest way to get used to something is to use it. Wear the mask while you're awake and reading, watching t.v., or whatever. Eventually you 'just get used to it.'

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12