CPAP and vertigo

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
stevensheath

CPAP and vertigo

Post by stevensheath » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am

I have also had several episodes of BPPV. The last occurrence required five corrections by a physiotherapist after two attempts by my doctor. Then I started using a CPAP machine with maximum setting of 17. I woke up with similar feelings of BPPV when I rolled over and when I first got up and tried to walk. The symptoms are not as severe during the day as long as I don’t look up or down. I was blaming it on a resurgence of BPPV till stumbled on this site. Any suggestions?

ChicagoGranny

Re: CPAP and vertigo

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:00 am

stevensheath wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am
Any suggestions?
So sorry about the vertigo. I've heard it can be miserable.

1. Have you read from reliable sources like the Mayo Clinic - https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20370055 ?
stevensheath wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:32 am
The last occurrence required five corrections by a physiotherapist after two attempts by my doctor.
2. When you say "correction", did they perform canalith repositioning?

3. Are you tracking the effectiveness of your CPAP therapy? Do you look at the daily reports in the clinical menu on your machine's display? Do you ever look at your data in Sleepyhead?

4. Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

Welcome to the forum!

DavidY

Post by DavidY » Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:59 am

I have BPPV too. The initial CPAP treatment and any subsequent pressure increases triggered my somewhat dormant vertigo symptoms. I recommend keeping the minimum and maximum pressures as low as possible while still treating your OSA.

Dave

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:11 pm

I've had BPV but not related particularly to my CPAP. It was miserable and scared me to death thinking I was having a stroke the first time it happened. I walked into my doctor's office and the first thing he said to me was "you are not having a stroke". He knew exactly what I was thinking. Subsequent bouts have not been as severe, thank goodness.

Does your vestibular therapist have other eye and head positioning exercises for you to do? They have really helped me not only with BPV but I'm less prone to car sickness since doing them, too. You may have to wait a bit after an Eply maneuver to do some of these exercises, but some can be started right away.

I have not had a bout of BPV since I completely changed my diet to low carb, high fat. I can't say for sure that's why, but I had frequent bouts when I was eating poorly.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:10 pm

I have BPV which I question as all of my bouts occur when I get dehydrated. All I have to do is drink 25-30 ozs of water and stay vertical and the vertigo disappears in about 30-45 mins. Doc seems pretty insistent it's coincidental. Before I figured out the link with dehydration, the bouts might last several days of not leaving the house as I was so disoriented, hanging onto furniture and walls to move around. Scary and miserable.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Peppa

Post by Peppa » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 pm

I just started on cpap machine 11 weeks ago , then 3 weeks in started with vertigo..never had in my life , I’m now up to 7 attacks in 7 weeks! Terrible...has to be cpap 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:00 pm

I too have vertigo and osa. Vertigo appeared before I was on the hose and I ended up deaf in one ear after the first episode. Now I do have a dizzy spell most days but I have found a way to get rid of it easily. At the first sign of being dizzy, I will stop what I am doing and stare at a spot eye level on the wall and not move or even move my eyes. I takes a few minutes of doing this, but it works for me
and I am okay for the day after that. Perhaps my method will help one of you...… give it a try.

Cheers and good luck..
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:42 pm

I've had 3 severe bouts of vertigo in the last 5 months and one was so bad my wife called 911 and I took a ride to the ER. I have enough other problems that this made those worse, I have a balance problem to begin with. The ER doc gave me a script for Meclizine 25 MG to take when I feel one about to start. I also had an appointment with the ENT to check for inner ear problems. They did the inner ear test and I have inner ear problems in both ears. I will say the Meclizine works if you take it when you first get that feeling.I know how you feel, your heaving your gut's out and the room is spinning around at 90 MPH and if you stood up you would collapse. It's not a good feeling.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:04 pm

I've had vertigo 3 times in my life (72 years)--twice before cpap, once in the ensuing 9 years.
The movie was much better.
I enjoyed Mel Brooks' High Anxiety even more.
No connection to cpap use, sorry, no excuse here.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 am

squid13 wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:42 pm
I've had 3 severe bouts of vertigo in the last 5 months and one was so bad my wife called 911 and I took a ride to the ER. I have enough other problems that this made those worse, I have a balance problem to begin with. The ER doc gave me a script for Meclizine 25 MG to take when I feel one about to start. I also had an appointment with the ENT to check for inner ear problems. They did the inner ear test and I have inner ear problems in both ears. I will say the Meclizine works if you take it when you first get that feeling.I know how you feel, your heaving your gut's out and the room is spinning around at 90 MPH and if you stood up you would collapse. It's not a good feeling.
I carry meclizine everywhere. I have it next to my bed, in the car, in my work locker, in the bag that goes to work, etc. I buy it from amazon, 6 bottles at a time. Anytime, I start to feel a little dizzy, I take one.

I have recently learned that it might be caused by blocked eustacian tubes, and I have been popping my ears several times a day on purpose. That seems to be helping. I am still waiting for my referral to the new ENT. The one I had 3 years ago was useless.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Peppa

Post by Peppa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:23 pm

Thanks! I’ll try anything!

Peppa

Post by Peppa » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 pm

Thanks for sharing! Yes it’s sucks big time ..looking for new sleep doc ..see if he’ll agree to turn down pressure!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Peppa wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:27 pm
Thanks for sharing! Yes it’s sucks big time ..looking for new sleep doc ..see if he’ll agree to turn down pressure!
All of the regulars here use OSCAR and manage their own settings better than any doctor can. You can also. Please fill out your equipment profile - https://www.cpaptalk.com/ucp.php?i=prof ... pment_info

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:39 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:22 am
I have been popping my ears several times a day on purpose.
Wonder if chewing a stick of gum (sugarless) after each meal would help?

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:58 pm

Peppa wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:41 pm
I just started on cpap machine 11 weeks ago , then 3 weeks in started with vertigo..never had in my life , I’m now up to 7 attacks in 7 weeks! Terrible...has to be cpap 🤷🏼‍♀️🤦‍♀️
It does not have to be CPAP. While the two could be related, it is very possible that there is no relation at all. Analogy: You buy a new pair of shoes. After three weeks of wearing them,you twist an ankle. You repeatedly re-twist the ankle over the next two months. Was it the shoes? It could the shoes provide poor support. Or the first injury you stepped on a pine cone just right and injured your ankle (and your old shoes may have resulted in a worse injury). An injured ankle is much more prone to a repeat injury.

What you are experiencing is truly miserable. It is worth considering all possible causes...not just apnea (or cpap) related ones...and all possible solutions. Best wishes.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM