Newbie questions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Eblo

Newbie questions

Post by Eblo » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi all,
I have not been tested for sleep apnea yet but I suspect that I may have it. I know the "popular" symptoms like daytime sleepiness, snoring, headache, etc. But I wanted to know if there are other symptoms that are not always listed in websites. I want to know what actual people who have it felt before treatment. Daytime and nighttime symptoms. Thanks

Jas_williams

Re: Newbie questions

Post by Jas_williams » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 am

Nocturia getting up and going to the loo during the night

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am

Eblo wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm
Hi all,
I have not been tested for sleep apnea yet but I suspect that I may have it. I know the "popular" symptoms like daytime sleepiness, snoring, headache, etc. But I wanted to know if there are other symptoms that are not always listed in websites. I want to know what actual people who have it felt before treatment. Daytime and nighttime symptoms. Thanks
Heart racing, high morning blood pressure... a sensation of choking or gasping for breath.

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:43 am

Questions they asked me at the doctors office: if you sit down for 10 minutes, how likely are you to fall asleep? How likely are you to fall asleep in the car? Do you wake up tired?

Things that don't happen to me anymore or as much now that I am on CPAP....I don't take a deep breath when I wake up; I don't get sleepy after lunch at 2pm; I don't get sleepy after dinner at 9pm; I don't feel like sleeping while in the waiting room at the doctor's office (not my appt., but waiting for family members)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:47 am

Eblo wrote:
Hi all,
You do know a person doesn't have to have all the symptoms to have a bad case of sleep apnea? Just checking. We get a lot of people here who are in denial and looking for excuses.
Waking up with a very sore or dry throatsleep apnea symptoms
Loud snoring
Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation
Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day
Sleepiness while driving
Morning headaches
Restless sleep
Forgetfulness, mood changes, and a decreased interest in sex
Recurrent awakenings or insomnia
Nocturia
Anxiety
Depression
You have diabetes or other health problems
Others sleep apnea symptoms include:
Memory or learning problems and not being able to concentrate
Feeling irritable, depressed, or having mood swings or personality changes
Dry mouth or sore throat when you wake up
Weight gain
Left untreated, sleep apnea can have serious and life-shortening consequences: high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, automobile accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel, diabetes, depression, and other ailments.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:28 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:22 am
+1 i had NO idea before cpap that this was a symptom. i just thought i was getting old.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:46 am

zonker wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:28 am
Jas_williams wrote:
+1 i had NO idea before cpap that this was a symptom. i just thought i was getting old.
Me too, in fact it's the thing I love most about this machine is not getting up every hour to pee.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:37 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:46 am
zonker wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:28 am
Jas_williams wrote:
Me too, in fact it's the thing I love most about this machine is not getting up every hour to pee.
Having to get up and pee all night is a very common side effect of sleep apnea, and one that's not very well known.

Back in my stupider days, I thought "Oh, I'm so tired, my kidneys aren't doing much, but when I can get some good sleep, they've got enough energy to do their job"... how ignorant I was!

Kidneys are supposed to 'sleep' too, going into low production mode when you're asleep... but the apnea keeps them awake (trying to lower the blood pressure spikes that fighting to breathe causes)... and your bladder fills up all night long.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Eblo

Post by Eblo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:47 am
Eblo wrote:
Hi all,
You do know a person doesn't have to have all the symptoms to have a bad case of sleep apnea? Just checking. We get a lot of people here who are in denial and looking for excuses.
Waking up with a very sore or dry throatsleep apnea symptoms
Loud snoring
Occasionally waking up with a choking or gasping sensation
Sleepiness or lack of energy during the day
Sleepiness while driving
Morning headaches
Restless sleep
Forgetfulness, mood changes, and a decreased interest in sex
Recurrent awakenings or insomnia
Nocturia
Anxiety
Depression
You have diabetes or other health problems
Others sleep apnea symptoms include:
Memory or learning problems and not being able to concentrate
Feeling irritable, depressed, or having mood swings or personality changes
Dry mouth or sore throat when you wake up
Weight gain
Left untreated, sleep apnea can have serious and life-shortening consequences: high blood pressure, heart disease, stroke, automobile accidents caused by falling asleep at the wheel, diabetes, depression, and other ailments.
I understand people trying to deny it. I'm trying to just figure out why I have the symptoms I have that the doctors can't figure out.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm

Eblo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm
I understand people trying to deny it. I'm trying to just figure out why I have the symptoms I have that the doctors can't figure out.
Not sure what you mean??

What symptoms do you have?

Eblo wrote:
I'm trying to just figure out why I have the symptoms I have that the doctors can't figure out.
The situation has improved greatly in recent years, but a lot of doctors are still terribly ignorant about sleep apnea.

Eblo

Post by Eblo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm seeing a pulmonologist next week for something unrelated and I'm going to ask about a sleep study. I have been real fatigued and weak feeling for the last few months. I get heart palpitations in the morning after I wake up at my usual time of 6am. I have been waking up at 3 as well for no reason. My anxiety, panic attacks and depression have been coming back. My eyes have been get heavy starting around 2pm but I haven't been falling asleep at the wheel or anything. Also I've been getting easily winded doing normal things. Sometimes I have a feeling of shortness of breath but not the typical kind where you are huffing and puffing to get are. It's almost like my lungs feel dry if that makes sense. About 6 months ago I moved to a dryer climate and I have been waking up with a really dry mouth.

Eblo

Post by Eblo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:25 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:28 pm
Eblo wrote:
Not sure what you mean??

What symptoms do you have?
I listed them

Eblo wrote:
I'm trying to just figure out why I have the symptoms I have that the doctors can't figure out.
The situation has improved greatly in recent years, but a lot of doctors are still terribly ignorant about sleep apnea.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:29 pm

Eblo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 pm
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm seeing a pulmonologist next week for something unrelated and I'm going to ask about a sleep study. I have been real fatigued and weak feeling for the last few months. I get heart palpitations in the morning after I wake up at my usual time of 6am. I have been waking up at 3 as well for no reason. My anxiety, panic attacks and depression have been coming back. My eyes have been get heavy starting around 2pm but I haven't been falling asleep at the wheel or anything. Also I've been getting easily winded doing normal things. Sometimes I have a feeling of shortness of breath but not the typical kind where you are huffing and puffing to get are. It's almost like my lungs feel dry if that makes sense. About 6 months ago I moved to a dryer climate and I have been waking up with a really dry mouth.
Just a suggestion but have they checked your thyroid ?

Eblo

Post by Eblo » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:57 pm

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:29 pm
Eblo wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:35 pm
Just a suggestion but have they checked your thyroid ?
Yes. Multiple times and it is fine. That was one of my first concerns.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:05 pm

Do you have any other mental or physical heath issues?
Do you take any medications of any kind...even OTC? If so what?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.