On/Off Button, Failure

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jason73H

On/Off Button, Failure

Post by Jason73H » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am

I've traveled commercially with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, many times. In returning from Phoenix yesterday, I found that the Power Switch on my machine is damaged. It feels different - No click; more of a mushy feel. It appears to be slightly more "pushed in" than normal. If I push very hard, I'm able to make it turn on/off - otherwise pushing it does nothing. I have no idea how this happened - possibly TSA? Possibly caused by variable air pressure? Frankly - no explanation makes sense, to me at least. Regardless - I'm eager to know if anyone has experienced this, and if so, what they did about it? Maybe you haven't seen this before - any advice? Are there Resmed Repair Centers? Is it possible to buy replacement parts? Will I have to buy a new machine, and if so will I have to get a new prescription? Any input would be appreciated - thanks!!

LSAT

Re: On/Off Button, Failure

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:56 am

If you don't want to have the on/off button repaired, you could go into the settings menu and turn on "smart start". With that feature the machine will automatically come on when you put on your mask and start breathing...It will turn off a couple seconds after you take the mask off.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:25 am

Jason73H wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:10 am
I've traveled commercially with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, many times. In returning from Phoenix yesterday, I found that the Power Switch on my machine is damaged.
welcome to the zoo! if you don't want to heed lsat's advice, you could get it fixed. i haven't used these people, but forum members speak highly of them-

https://acbio.com/

and i just want to use you as an example to others. (nothing personal!) when traveling with your machine, take it on board with you. it's a medical device and thus doesn't count toward your carry on allowance.

hmm...it just struck me; you didn't say you checked it! just said it may be tsa.
:oops:
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Jason73H

Post by Jason73H » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Great feedback - thanks! I'll give the Smart Start a try, then look into the repair place if that for some reason doesn't work for me.

With Smart Start - how long does it take to shut off? I just tried it and after 10 minutes, it still hadn't shut off. Maybe it's because I only had it on for a few minutes? Is it adjustable?

Regarding the comment on not checking your device at the airport - I agree completely, however am generally too lazy to carry my machine around the airport. It has worked until now - might have to change my ways however.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm

The auto off should be fairly instant but if you are using a nasal mask and fairly low pressures it can affect the auto off, the answer is to remove the hose from the mask and it will turn off instantly

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:51 pm

Jason73H wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:25 pm
Great feedback - thanks! I'll give the Smart Start a try, then look into the repair place if that for some reason doesn't work for me.

With Smart Start - how long does it take to shut off? I just tried it and after 10 minutes, it still hadn't shut off. Maybe it's because I only had it on for a few minutes? Is it adjustable?
SmartStart should turn the machine off within a few seconds.

The only time it didn't work for me was when I first switched to nasal pillows, but didn't think to change the 'mask type' to pillow. The added restriction of the pillows tricked the machine into thinking it was just a bad leak, and not a mask off... changing the settings let the machine know to compensate for the added airflow restriction that the pillow mask creates.

Now, if you're using pillows, and the machine is set right, but you've got quite low pressures, the auto-off may not work for you. You could pop the mask off of the main hose and that should do it though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Jas_williams wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:32 pm
The auto off should be fairly instant but if you are using a nasal mask and fairly low pressures it can affect the auto off, the answer is to remove the hose from the mask and it will turn off instantly
oh! very smart, would never have thought of that.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:13 pm

Uh, did you let baggage handlers fool with your machine?
It should NEVER LEAVE YOUR SIDE.
EVER!

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Jason73H wrote:
I've traveled commercially with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, many times.
How old is it? They have a two-year warranty.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:47 pm

Jason73H wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:25 pm

Regarding the comment on not checking your device at the airport - I agree completely, however am generally too lazy to carry my machine around the airport. It has worked until now - might have to change my ways however.
Just a reminder...With ResMed machines, after you turn off the machine, the blower continues to run at a low speed for about 15-20 minutes to dry out the hose.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:54 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:25 pm
Jason73H wrote:
I've traveled commercially with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, many times.
How old is it? They have a two-year warranty.
Warranties don't cover abuse of product though.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

freetimecreations

Post by freetimecreations » Sat Mar 30, 2019 4:48 pm

Jason73H wrote:
I've traveled commercially with my ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset, many times. In returning from Phoenix yesterday, I found that the Power Switch on my machine is damaged. It feels different - No click; more of a mushy feel. It appears to be slightly more "pushed in" than normal. If I push very hard, I'm able to make it turn on/off - otherwise pushing it does nothing. I have no idea how this happened - possibly TSA? Possibly caused by variable air pressure? Frankly - no explanation makes sense, to me at least. Regardless - I'm eager to know if anyone has experienced this, and if so, what they did about it? Maybe you haven't seen this before - any advice? Are there Resmed Repair Centers? Is it possible to buy replacement parts? Will I have to buy a new machine, and if so will I have to get a new prescription? Any input would be appreciated - thanks!!
My on/off button got pushed in funky. The front cover pulls off. Note on bottom of front plate there is a place for a finger to pull up. At this point examine the button cover (actual switch is under this) and see if it has been pushed down or skewampus.

At this point I will leave it up to you and your technical skills. (this was easy in my instance) The on/off cover is held on by clips underneath each side and pops off and snaps back on. I pull from middle top or bottom. Check if the actual switch is broken.

Jason73H

Post by Jason73H » Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 am

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!! I tried Smart Start last night - worked great!! Wish I would have learned of it years ago! Jason

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:23 am

Jason73H wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 am
Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply!! I tried Smart Start last night - worked great!! Wish I would have learned of it years ago! Jason
good to know. and a free fix to boot!!

it's amazing how much one can learn here.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:46 pm

Jason73H wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 6:35 am
I would make sure to have a backup machine. One little knock on a broken button could end it all including Smart Start.

You may feel differently, but I wouldn't travel with the machine due to the increased risk of catastrophic failure.