Remaining Tank Water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jwoceanside

Remaining Tank Water

Post by jwoceanside » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:30 am

The next morning there's always some distilled water left over in my tank. Is it okay to reuse, along with new replaced distilled water. I usually ditch the left over distilled water. Wipe the tank clean and replace with new supply of distilled water

Thanks

ClayL
Location: Palisade, CO now, was Full time in a motor home for 12 years- Anywhere USA

Re: Remaining Tank Water

Post by ClayL » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:45 am

I often have 1/4 inch or so left. I add new distilled water each night for two or three days and then dump it and start over with all fresh water. The air coming in is filtered twice - first a foam filter and then a very fine paper one but some stuff can get by that I think.
Distilled water is cheap here ($0.98 a gallon) so I am not sure it makes sense to not dump it every night though.
Respironics DreamStation
Pressure = 11.5 min 14.5 max
C-Flex = 1

Dreamwear FF

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 am

When I used to use distilled water I always topped up. Never had a problem. There isn't enough mineral in the water to accumulate as the water evaporates away. I used to top up overnight for about two weeks giver or take, then wash the tank.

I don't use distilled water anymore. My tap water is pretty soft. With tap water, I do dump and refill as the minerals will start to accumulate. But tap water doesn't have the cost and inconvenience of distilled water.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:41 pm

I don't toss out unused distilled water. When I use tap water or bottled water, I do toss out the unused water each morning.

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:48 pm

I don’t refill my water chamber unless it’s like really low or almost empty when I do mine. I try to let it use all the water first.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:22 pm

I throw out what is left in the tank each morning.

Why? Because I am super sensitive to mold and the best way to avoid any hint of it is to keep the tank dry for about 12 hours a day. Because there is (a very remote) risk that something else bad could grow in there. And, finally, because the benefit of reusing the residual water is small -- I use an extra two to three liters of distilled water per month because I throw out the residual.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

tarpatel

Post by tarpatel » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:52 pm

i use distilled water and i throw away every morning and let my tank open to air dry.

i also unplug my hose from the machine and let it hang.

not sure if this is over kill or not but i feel better when the machine and all pieces stay dry when not in use.

at any rate makes me feel better.

Shnorky

Post by Shnorky » Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:20 am

I used to keep it in the tank. Then visited vietnam, and stuff was definitely growing in there (Even with the distilled water, and the double filters in a PR system). Even if not moving (yet) there was life.
So now I'd dump it, even at home - only in the past few months the tank was always empty and dry in the morning.

PaulKTF

Post by PaulKTF » Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:30 am

I always just top off the water chamber the next morning and I've never had an issue (when using distilled water).

-Paul.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Mon Apr 01, 2019 12:49 pm

I did an experiment and confirmed the first water used by the humidifier is the water that was left from the night before, so I just top it off every night.
Every month or 2 I will swish some tap water in the chamber to sterilize it. Every year or 3 I will use a new chamber.
With my original S9/H5i I sometimes had trouble distinguishing the old chamber from the new one. With PR it was easier to tell, with my new Resmed Aircurve, I haven't had it long enough to notice.
I do use Reverse Osmosis water so I don't worry about bottles or cost.