BiPAP Under Medicare

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
DxRxTx

BiPAP Under Medicare

Post by DxRxTx » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm

I'm a patient of Kaiser Northern California. I have been using BiPAP therapy for 9 years. I am now a senior citizen and want to get a new BiPAP under my Kaiser Senior Advantage. Will I have to do a new sleep study, although I have been under BiPAP therapy for 9 years? How long will the compliance verification period be? The reason I didn't try to get one sooner is that I was splitting my time between two places and had a machine at each place. Now I can reasonably stay in one place for a while.

LSAT

Re: BiPAP Under Medicare

Post by LSAT » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:00 pm

DxRxTx wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm
I'm a patient of Kaiser Northern California. I have been using BiPAP therapy for 9 years. I am now a senior citizen and want to get a new BiPAP under my Kaiser Senior Advantage. Will I have to do a new sleep study, although I have been under BiPAP therapy for 9 years? How long will the compliance verification period be? The reason I didn't try to get one sooner is that I was splitting my time between two places and had a machine at each place. Now I can reasonably stay in one place for a while.
Check with your advantage plan...they make the rules.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:31 pm

DxRxTx wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:14 pm
How Long have you had your BiPap? Talk to your Sleep Doctor/Respiratory Therapist and call the Kaiser DME to find out what your specific coverage for the BiPap.

I have a Kaiser Plan, but not Kaiser Senior Advantage - and with mine I was able to get a New ASV, even though mine was only 3 years old (and from my understanding they only replace the ASV is it is not working), but I requested a different band, and they gave me an overnight sleep study which showed that I do much better with the new brand (ResMed) that they gave me.
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

DxRxTx

Post by DxRxTx » Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:43 pm

Under Kaiser Senior Advantage, even after the 13 month rental, Kaiser will still maintain ownership of the machine. They will fix it as long as it can be fixed. That I know. I have no problem with compliance. I was just wondering.