Do you still take low-dose aspirin daily?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ChicagoGranny

Do you still take low-dose aspirin daily?

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:01 am

The thinking on this has changed due to some recent studies. Gramps and I discontinued daily aspirin a few years ago.
"Often, people come into my office and tell me they're taking aspirin because they've heard it prevents heart attacks," says Dr. Cannon. These new studies show that's not always the case — and that aspirin may do more harm than good for people who've never experienced a heart-related event.

In a nutshell, people with diabetes appear to benefit from aspirin, but the risk of bleeding offsets some of that benefit. These studies suggest that for people who don't have diabetes — as well as anyone who is age 70 or older — aspirin provides no heart benefit and seems to increase your odds of bleeding. This means some people currently taking low-dose aspirin should consider stopping it, says Dr. Cannon. (Note that these findings don't change the advice for people who've already had a heart attack or stroke; for them, aspirin is still recommended.)

The bottom line: The decision to take low-dose aspirin is complicated, so if you are otherwise healthy, talk to your doctor before considering aspirin for primary prevention.
Full article: https://www.health.harvard.edu/heart-he ... se-aspirin

LSAT

Re: Do you still take low-dose aspirin daily?

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 am

I have been taking a low dose asprin for about 10+ years. After reading about this controversy, I emailed my Cardiologist and asked him if I should continue. After reviewing my records he explained why he wanted me to continue. I have never had a heart attack or stroke. I think everyone should consult their doctor and make their decision based upon that discussion.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am

LSAT wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:22 am
my Cardiologist
Why do you have a cardiologist? Gramps and I have never visited one, and we are considerably older than you.

Tricky Wash

Post by Tricky Wash » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:46 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am
LSAT wrote:
my Cardiologist
Why do you have a cardiologist? Gramps and I have never visited one, and we are considerably older than you.
His cardiologist owns stock in Bayer.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:50 am

LSAT wrote:
he explained why he wanted me to continue.
And, what was the explanation?

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:43 am
LSAT wrote:
my Cardiologist
It is always good to get a stress test & CT-Scan to verify health. The CT-Scan assesses any calcium buildup in the arteries. Also, may cardiologist is convinced that general practitioners are not qualified to evaluate high blood pressure & prescribe any necessary medications.

Our cardiologist is one of the few good, trusted medical professionals in our area.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:08 am

prodigyplace wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:53 am
It is always good to get a stress test & CT-Scan to verify health. The CT-Scan assesses any calcium buildup in the arteries.
Years ago I was using a GP who didn't believe in stress tests for healthy people with good lipid levels. He said the only time a stress test was of value was when the patient had a heart attack on the treadmill.

As far as arterial calcium buildup, my current GP says if you get a high result, there is no known action to take.

What would you recommend for a healthy individual with normal lipids and normal blood pressure if the calcium scan is high?

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am

LSAT wrote:
. . . wanted me to continue. . . . I think everyone should consult their doctor and make their decision based upon that discussion.
+1
ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:50 am
. . . what was the explanation?
Possible reasons are strong family history and specific well-documented risk factors.

Studies of recommendations for segments of populations are about no-brainer general-practice guidelines, not what a specific patient should do.

My primary said he's good with my decision either way, since he doesn't consider the science compelling one way or the other for my history and health. I decided to stop taking it.
Last edited by jnk... on Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 am

jnk... wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am
Possible reasons are strong family history and specific well-documented risk factors.
But, that doesn't say what LSAT's doctor's explanation was.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:36 am
jnk... wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:31 am
But, that doesn't say what LSAT's doctor's explanation was.
No. It does not. But LSAT's doc's explanation would only be relevant to LSAT's specific situation. And LSAT, on advice of fellow forum members, may not choose to waive his HIPAA rights on such matters in a public forum. :wink: :)

Then again, he may want to post a full recording of the entire conversation with his doc. Who knows. :shock:
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

Accounts to put on the foe list: Me. I often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:43 am

jnk... wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:40 am
But LSAT's doc's explanation would only be relevant to LSAT's specific situation. And LSAT, on advice of fellow forum members, may not choose to waive his HIPAA rights on such matters in a public forum.
That's his choice. I just wanted to let him know that your post did not answer my question about his cardiologist's explanation. It's possible it would surprise both of us. Or, it could just be the mundane you mentioned.

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am

"Aspirin therapy is not recommended if you have never had a heart attack or stroke, except for certain carefully selected patients." -- https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/ ... rt-disease
[color added by me]

Apparently LSAT's doc considers LSAT to be certain, careful, and select!

At this point in time, . . .
"there's some disagreement among experts" -- https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... t-20046797
. . . on the matter of which specific patients should and should not continue, I believe.

I almost stayed on aspirin just to avoid any rebound effect of increased risk from discontinuing, as mentioned in the Mayo article. But as I said, my doc left it up to me.

Thanks for this thread, CG. Good stuff!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 am

There are other considerations besides stroke and heart attack. I don't want to get into my entire medical history, but I have had episodes of AFIB where many people are put on blood thinners. Because of other factors, I shouldn't take a blood thinner, so that is 1 reason for remaining on the asprin. I have a close relationship with my cardiologist and he thoroughly explained his rationale.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am

jnk... wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am
LSAT to be certain, careful, and select!
Goes without saying. Would you buy a used machine from that man? (I would.)

jnk...

Post by jnk... » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:59 am

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:56 am
jnk... wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:46 am
LSAT to be certain, careful, and select!
Goes without saying. Would you buy a used machine from that man? (I would.)
:lol:

I would, too!
-Jeff (AS10/P30i)