DMV - Driver's License - Sleep Apnea status

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
linagee

DMV - Driver's License - Sleep Apnea status

Post by linagee » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Has anyone had to recently apply for DMV driver's license renewal and have the form ask: "Sleep Apnea?"

Then... having to answer "Yes" (Because... lie to the DMV? I've been diagnosed by a doctor years ago and the record would be there if someone ever put the pieces together. That would not be nice to have in the back of your mind!)

Because I answered yes though, now I have to start checking in with a sleep doctor yearly. Forever. Fun stuff... :lol: ("Why are you at 7-10? Your prescription says 7-11?" :roll: Yes this was the actual conversation. So I guess there will be a lot less experimentation now.)

It almost makes me wish I never got diagnosed in the first place, and that I would have started therapy "under the radar".

edit: This might be the kick in the butt that I need to do "doctor shopping". My current sleep doctor charges an $85 copay. (So: $85/year (forever.) for a checkup to say "Hi how are you, yes I use my CPAP, please sign my form.")

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: DMV - Driver's License - Sleep Apnea status

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:30 pm

If you need a commercial license, you might be able to count the copay as a business expense.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm

If it would have been me, I'd have answered "No".
With an average AHI of less than 5.0 and 100% usage (which I can easily verify going back to the beginning of my therapy), for all intents, I don't have "apnea". This is why it's so important to have a data-capable XPAP machine and have and use software to download and monitor one's therapy.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

linagee

Post by linagee » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:30 pm
If you need a commercial license, you might be able to count the copay as a business expense.
I've heard of this being required for commercial trucker licenses in the past. This is just for a regular license.
Wulfman... wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm
With an average AHI of less than 5.0 and 100% usage (which I can easily verify going back to the beginning of my therapy), for all intents, I don't have "apnea". This is why it's so important to have a data-capable XPAP machine and have and use software to download and monitor one's therapy.
Den
By your definition, I also don't have "apnea", but I don't know if a courtroom would see it the same way. :lol:

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:31 pm

I recently renewed my regular license and there was no mention of sleep apnea on the renewal .

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:34 pm

linagee wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:14 pm
chunkyfrog wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:30 pm
I've heard of this being required for commercial trucker licenses in the past. This is just for a regular license.
Wulfman... wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 7:06 pm
Den
By your definition, I also don't have "apnea", but I don't know if a courtroom would see it the same way. :lol:
Well, you wouldn't have to worry about it being a criminal courtroom at least. Maybe a civil one if something unfortunate were to happen.

I would be answering "no" all day long, government doesn't need to know my medical history.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:01 pm

Drivers licenses are issues by states. Which state are you from op? Time to move ?

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm

linagee wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm
Has anyone had to recently apply for DMV driver's license renewal and have the form ask: "Sleep Apnea?"

Then... having to answer "Yes" (Because... lie to the DMV? I've been diagnosed by a doctor years ago and the record would be there if someone ever put the pieces together. That would not be nice to have in the back of your mind!)

Because I answered yes though, now I have to start checking in with a sleep doctor yearly. Forever. Fun stuff... :lol: ("Why are you at 7-10? Your prescription says 7-11?" :roll: Yes this was the actual conversation. So I guess there will be a lot less experimentation now.)

It almost makes me wish I never got diagnosed in the first place, and that I would have started therapy "under the radar".

edit: This might be the kick in the butt that I need to do "doctor shopping". My current sleep doctor charges an $85 copay. (So: $85/year (forever.) for a checkup to say "Hi how are you, yes I use my CPAP, please sign my form.")
No, but I failed for eyesight, due to Diabetes. I can see, I just can't see the tester, my eyes change 4 times a day. Jim

I'd gladly pay $ 85 for my licence. But for now mark me with the dead beats driving on a expired licence......
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Snoregone Conclusion

Post by Snoregone Conclusion » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Goofproof wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm
linagee wrote:
Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

No, but I failed for eyesight, due to Diabetes. I can see, I just can't see the tester, my eyes change 4 times a day. Jim

I'd gladly pay $ 85 for my licence. But for now mark me with the dead beats driving on a expired licence......
I'm glad I no longer live in central Indiana. Please don't drive out of that area! Actually, do everyone a favor (even you) don't drive at all: if you can't reliably even see the tester, you have no business driving, and you're likely to kill others, perhaps yourself with your greedy stupidity.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 am

Here in the UK sleep Apnoea is a notifiable disease so you have to tell the DVLA if you have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and then they write to your Dr to check you are adequately treated. You need to see someone at the sleep clinic once every three years but it’s normal to have an annual checkup. If you don’t have regular check ups your licence will be revoked.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:12 am
Here in the UK sleep Apnoea is a notifiable disease so you have to tell the DVLA if you have been diagnosed with sleep apnoea and then they write to your Dr to check you are adequately treated. You need to see someone at the sleep clinic once every three years but it’s normal to have an annual checkup. If you don’t have regular check ups your licence will be revoked.
Wow draconian rules much ? It no business of any government bureaucrat what my medical history is. I wouldn't answer the damn question. Just like I refuse to answer any non medical questions at my doctors office. I often write none of your damn business on their invasive forms.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 am

babydinosnoreless wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:35 am
Jas_williams wrote:
Wow draconian rules much ? It no business of any government bureaucrat what my medical history is. I wouldn't answer the damn question. Just like I refuse to answer any non medical questions at my doctors office. I often write none of your damn business on their invasive forms.
Point to ponder...

Is it better to restrict the privilege of driving to those that aren't going to fall asleep at the wheel because of untreated sleep apnea, or is it better to let the exhausted sleepy people drive, and kill people when they fall asleep at the wheel of their car, or truck?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:25 am

my .02
I would have answered 'No' As someone said, my Apnea is under control. The other part of my answer is that I do not see a "Sleep" doctor. I see a board certified physician, who happens to be my primary doctor. I see him yearly and we always talk about my therapy. He knows that I have tweeked my pressures and agrees with me (and the ResMed and SH reports).

All that said, I would answer no and what I talk about top my doctor is my concern.

-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

Midwest_non_sleeper

Post by Midwest_non_sleeper » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:04 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Jas_williams wrote:
Point to ponder...

Is it better to restrict the privilege of driving to those that aren't going to fall asleep at the wheel because of untreated sleep apnea, or is it better to let the exhausted sleepy people drive, and kill people when they fall asleep at the wheel of their car, or truck?
To your point, the question could be summarized as: Do you want actual freedom, and thus less safety, or do you want more safety, and thus less freedom? The two cannot mutually coexist, for if you take from one, you must give to the other. A balance can be struck, but in that case, does that necessarily constitute either freedom or safety at all?

Edit: My opinion is that I will take freedom and do my best to manage the risk of being less safe. Safety is a relative term in my view, for one can never be totally made to be truly "safe", because human nature. I work for government and wield an incredible amount of power, up to and including taking someone's life if justified and / or their liberty. I have seen what that amounts to in the wrong hands. I will take freedom and I will fight for that same freedom for others. Just my opinion. Some may not agree with that, which is perfectly ok, I welcome a healthy discussion, because that's how differences and problems get solved.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:19 am

palerider wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:33 am
babydinosnoreless wrote:
Jas_williams wrote:
Point to ponder...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Benjamin Franklin

I think I've had untreated and unknown sleep apnea for years. I was not diagnosed until September of 2017 and even then did not get a machine till Oct 2018.

There are days even with my machine I only sleep 5 hours. Sometimes I sleep 9. Should I not drive on the days where I only sleep 5 hours ? Probably. Do I anyway? Yes !

Is some pencil necked bureaucrat going to decide when I am unsafe to drive NO! On my most tired days I probably drive better than half of the idiots out there and half of the people out there probably drive tired better than I do even on good sleep filled days.

As an adult its up to me to make many decisions every day on simple common sense items. It is not IMO the governments job or place to be mommy or daddy especially when its subjective and unenforceable. Yes I'm a hard core libertarian. :lol: :lol: