power pack

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
herefishy

power pack

Post by herefishy » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:51 pm

Never thought I would need a power source for my cpap, but am spending the summer in the mountains where the power goes out a lot. Should I just search for Captain Loki's posts, or does anybody else have an idea?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: power pack

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 pm

Send him a pm.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:17 pm

herefishy wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:51 pm
Never thought I would need a power source for my cpap, but am spending the summer in the mountains where the power goes out a lot. Should I just search for Captain Loki's posts, or does anybody else have an idea?
You don't have to search his posts, just look at his sig.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 pm

herefishy wrote:
Are you camping or in normal accommodation?

If in normal accommodation a battery tender, a U1 AMG battery and a 12v converter for your machine. Leave the battery tender attached to tend the battery, the battery can then be used if power goes out will give you up to 3 nights of continuous power use, but longer if power comes back to charge the battery

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:39 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:56 pm
herefishy wrote:
Are you camping or in normal accommodation?

If in normal accommodation a battery tender, a U1 AMG battery and a 12v converter for your machine. Leave the battery tender attached to tend the battery, the battery can then be used if power goes out will give you up to 3 nights of continuous power use, but longer if power comes back to charge the battery
This is a reasonable solution, especially if the power goes out for extended periods, like several hours to several days. If humidity is not used the smallest BatteryTender (0.75 amps) will cover the normal load, but if a humidifier is used, I would go to the medium (1.25 amps) or large (5 amps) to make sure the battery is not cycled on a daily basis. Frankly, I almost never use (or even bring) the humidifier to "rustic" locations, but this will depend on your needs and location.

To run the pump while charging the battery you'll need either the "1 to 5 splitter" or a second "ring connector" pigtail on the battery.

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

CapnLoki

Post by CapnLoki » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:07 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:47 pm
Send him a pm.
Although I usually (eventually) respond to PMs, I'd rather keep the discussion "in the open" so that others may benefit. Just make sure the topic includes a word like "battery" or "power."

Additional Comments: Pressure 9-20, average ~9.5; often use battery power while off-grid
Hark, how hard he fetches breath . . .  Act II, Scene IV, King Henry IV Part I, William Shakespeare
Choosing a Battery thread: http://www.cpaptalk.com/viewtopic/t1140 ... ttery.html

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:18 am

I guess my first question is what pap I need. Have a resmed s9, but am contemplating a 10. Do you know if either is compatible with 12v?

JHC

Post by JHC » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:24 am

The 10 runs on 24 volts and requires an expensive "Converter" to connect to 12 volt batteries. It's about $90 and the whole board seems to agree that there's no hack to get around that. There's a different converter to connect to the batteries that ResMed sells (which are also 12 volt).

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am

ResMed machines are all 24 volt....so you would need a converter with either the S9 or the AirSense 10 models. Runs around $80 to $90 and you have to make sure you get the appropriate model...the converters for the S9 aren't exactly the same as the converters for the AirSense models...so not interchangeable.

Respironics machines are all 12 volt so no converter needed.

S9 machines reportedly are less power hungry when running off a battery than the newer AirSense 10 models.

A converter is cheaper than a totally new machine but the Respironics models offer probably the most economical power consumption options since it doesn't require a converter.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:37 am

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:26 am
ResMed machines are all 24 volt....so you would need a converter with either the S9 or the AirSense 10 models. Runs around $80 to $90 and you have to make sure you get the appropriate model...the converters for the S9 aren't exactly the same as the converters for the AirSense models...so not interchangeable.

Respironics machines are all 12 volt so no converter needed.
No, but dreamstations require a special cord that's fairly expensive, though not as expensive as the official resmed cords.

Personally, I'd go for Resmed, because getting superior treatment of my sleep apnea *every night* is more important than (possibly) getting a little more time on battery in those infrequent instances where the battery is needed.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.