Getting (re)Started

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WarWraith

Getting (re)Started

Post by WarWraith » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 am

Hi there.

So, it's been about... oh... ten years since I last logged in.

Which means my Resmed S8 AutoSet Spirit II has been unused for about nine years.
I got the flu, I couldn't manage to re-adjust, I put it away and... yeah.

Anyway, tonight my new doctor said "You NEED to be using your APAP machine".

I can't even remember where to begin. I'm making an appointment tomorrow to see the local ResMed sleep clinic.

I pulled it all out, and the H3i Plus water tub is MIA, so I'm up for a new humidifier (at least).

The Mirage Quattro mask cushion is not long for this world. The straps had completely disintegrated into a mess of black rubber particles and sticky goop.

I've pulled the rest of it apart, and most of the other bits seem OK

That's assuming the machine itself still works.

Is it *worth* getting replacement parts for the mask, getting a H4i humidifier to replace the H3i, and continuing to use it (also my wife used to complain bitterly about the noise).

Or has technology moved on over the last decade to the point that I should look at getting a new one?

Julie

Re: Getting (re)Started

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:36 am

Get new everything... all has/have changed a lot. And even if some piece were to work a bit for a while, you'll still need new soon... why wait? It'll only seem like throwing good money after bad if you do, however hard it might be to shell out now.

And DL Oscar... read sticky 'Announcements' to get up to date.

WarWraith

Post by WarWraith » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:14 am

OK, if I am looking at starting again from scratch ($deity help me)... when I bought this, Resmed was THE way to go.

Is that still the case, or are there better options now?

(Quieter? I don't want a divorce...)

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 am

While certain new models are more (the most) popular, it's not that simple (as just the brand name), and there are lots of other factors to consider. Go onto Cpap.com, look under machines/auto and start reading reviews, etc. for the latest models... be smart enough to want autos (which can, if needed also do plain cpap, tho' those cannot do auto of course) and compatibility with the latest software (Oscar - way more useful than e.g. old (Encore) and/or mfgr's built-in programs). And look at masks (trying on FF ones lying down). Once you have a better feel for what's what, pick a few, come back to this thread, ask for feedback and then consider seeing if the 'choices' might be available on e.g. Secondwindcpap.com for less than new ones, depending on run hours, other features, etc.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:01 am

Yes...ResMed is probably still the best option when it comes to keeping noise down to a minimum.
Probably still THE way to go for various reasons.
The newest models even less noisy than the old S8 model.
Lots of changes have come around since that S8 was the latest and greatest.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:52 am

Welcome back! We'll help you thru this! Do you have insurance? As advised, I get new stuff. If the old machine still works, you may want to save it for a backup. As Pugs stated, the machines are far better now. Get the Resmed S10 Autoset.

Sheriff

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:44 pm

welcome (back) to the zoo!

yes to resmed as pugsy suggested.

please see the links at the bottom of my signature for the things that julie mentioned. it will help you to help us to help you when we get all the info.
:lol:

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

WarWraith

Post by WarWraith » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 am

So, the appointment went well.

Particularly as a final check of the cupboard revealed past-Warwick to have been lazy, and just left the humidifier tub in the cupboard, instead of putting it back in the bag.
Thus: working humidifier.

Sat down with the rep, who was surprised at the excellent condition of my S8, and the S8 itself: "I've heard of these, but I've never actually seen one!"

The Quattro Mirage mask: "Um, no. You could try and piece it together, but look... let me show you something." She pulled out the most amazing mask I'd ever seen, the Philips Respironics Dreamwear full face mask.

Here's the thing: when I originally started the APAP process, I hadn't yet been formally diagnosed as autistic (although I suspected it).

I know realise that a big part of the problem I had the first time round was *the mask*, and the sensory issues associated with it.

I tried on the Philips mask, and I think I can make it work.

The S8, indeed, is old tech. But it's *working* old tech (at the moment). Parts (like filters!) are no longer available for it.

Her plan is to start me on the S8 with the new mask, and become acclimated to the mask, and work towards compliance; once I've adjusted to the mask, if it's working for me, look to replacing the S8 with an S10 in 3-6 months.

OSCAR: Downloaded.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:43 am

WarWraith wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 am
Sat down with the rep... "I've heard of these, but I've never actually seen one!"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:07 am

WarWraith wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:07 am
So, the appointment went well.

Particularly as a final check of the cupboard revealed past-Warwick to have been lazy, and just left the humidifier tub in the cupboard, instead of putting it back in the bag.
Thus: working humidifier.

Sat down with the rep, who was surprised at the excellent condition of my S8, and the S8 itself: "I've heard of these, but I've never actually seen one!"

The Quattro Mirage mask: "Um, no. You could try and piece it together, but look... let me show you something." She pulled out the most amazing mask I'd ever seen, the Philips Respironics Dreamwear full face mask.

Here's the thing: when I originally started the APAP process, I hadn't yet been formally diagnosed as autistic (although I suspected it).

I know realise that a big part of the problem I had the first time round was *the mask*, and the sensory issues associated with it.

I tried on the Philips mask, and I think I can make it work.

The S8, indeed, is old tech. But it's *working* old tech (at the moment). Parts (like filters!) are no longer available for it.

Her plan is to start me on the S8 with the new mask, and become acclimated to the mask, and work towards compliance; once I've adjusted to the mask, if it's working for me, look to replacing the S8 with an S10 in 3-6 months.

OSCAR: Downloaded.
Parts and filters are not a problem.. https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... 8&_sacat=0

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:04 am

I hope you like that mask. It is suppose to be comfortable and leak free. Finding a mask that is right for you is a journey in itself.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 am

OSCAR won't work with the S8...sorry.
You would need ResScan, a smart card and a special card reader (both of which are hard to find a pricey).
We can get you ResScan easily but not the stuff to use the software.
There is still some information available on your machine's LCD screen though. It's enough to get you in the ball park though.

Filters are indeed available...pretty much everything is for the S8 except for the smart cards and special card readers.
Amazon and EBAY are also good sources for filters.

Let's get you comfortable with the new mask and work on getting you the new AirSense sooner than later.

There's a good video about using the DreamWear Full Face mask here. It has some hints on fitting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUwIa3xnsDQ

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:19 pm

Keep in mind that ResMed was very agressive in scoring Hypopneas with the S8. The general work around was to take the Hypopnea score and divide it by 2.

This was corrected in the S9 and Autoset 10 units.

WarWraith

Post by WarWraith » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:03 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:54 am
You would need ResScan, a smart card and a special card reader (both of which are hard to find a pricey).
We can get you ResScan easily but not the stuff to use the software.
Guess who thought ahead when buying the S8 ;)

The ResScan software would be helpful though, because I'm not sure where the CD-ROM ended up.

WarWraith

Post by WarWraith » Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:06 pm

It has not gone well for the first two nights.

I'm ripping the mask off after about 2 hours each night.

The mask is far more comfortable than the Mirage Quattro, but it's the sensory issue of being trapped inside the mask and having warm air forced into my face that seems to be the issue.

It also feel like someone is trying to punch their way out of my sinuses this morning.