Arms/hands go numb, SpO2 drops, heart races

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
WarpedTrekker

Arms/hands go numb, SpO2 drops, heart races

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 am

I had an event this morning, woke up on my back, with arms and face slightly numb/warm. My SpO2 watch showed 86% and heart rate 100bpm+. When I woke, it returned to normal quickly. These events have been reoccurring more often, when laying on my back. I have gained about 30lbs over this year and at 250lbs (6'1"). Laying on my side I usually don't have the problem. I used to be able to lay on my back fine most nights without this happening. But now I lay almost all night on my side.

I've mentioned this numbness and lack of oxygen to my sleep doctor multiple times and he wasn't concerned, since it would only happen a couple times a night and my SpO2 didn't get much lower. Due to my previous DVT/PE's (blood clots), my normal SpO2 at night is around 92-93%. So even a 10sec apnea drops it to the low 80's.

Should I raise EPAP to 5 or 6?

screenshot-20190721-093732.png
screenshot-20190721-093732.png (409.66 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
screenshot-20190721-093850.png
screenshot-20190721-093850.png (423.15 KiB) Viewed 3646 times
screenshot-20190721-094000.png
screenshot-20190721-094000.png (448.71 KiB) Viewed 3646 times

Pressure: 5-14 auto

Muse-Inc

Re: Arms/hands go numb, SpO2 drops, heart races

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:14 pm

bump

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:20 pm

Considering a better doctor might be a good idea.
Sounds like this one is not the one you need.

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:21 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:20 pm
Considering a better doctor might be a good idea.
Sounds like this one is not the one you need.
Unfortunately that's easier said then done. The Austin Texas area doesn't really have much selection of doctors that listen. I've tried going to two other sleep doctors, and also contacted others and sent them my history. Basically they had no thoughts and my AHI numbers looked fine. None of these doctors around here dig deep into issues, unless it is an emergency. My sleep doctor said unless it happens multiple times at night for a much longer time, he was not concerned.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:22 pm

I can't remember now if it was you I suggested to look something up a month? ago, but plse Google "Thoracic Outlet Syndrome"

It's not about OAS or equipment, but you might have it...

dogsarelife

Post by dogsarelife » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:34 pm

WarpedTrekker wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:58 am
I had an event this morning, woke up on my back, with arms and face slightly numb/warm. My SpO2 watch showed 86% and heart rate 100bpm+. When I woke, it returned to normal quickly. These events have been reoccurring more often, when laying on my back. I have gained about 30lbs over this year and at 250lbs (6'1"). Laying on my side I usually don't have the problem. I used to be able to lay on my back fine most nights without this happening. But now I lay almost all night on my side.

I've mentioned this numbness and lack of oxygen to my sleep doctor multiple times and he wasn't concerned, since it would only happen a couple times a night and my SpO2 didn't get much lower. Due to my previous DVT/PE's (blood clots), my normal SpO2 at night is around 92-93%. So even a 10sec apnea drops it to the low 80's.

Should I raise EPAP to 5 or 6?
I sent you a PM for a doctor's office that is close to you which I found helpful for me, but in another city. It won't be perfect because it's a new office, but technically I have found those doctors to be good. Apologies for derailing your other thread.

Hopefully someone else can take a look at your charts and speak to raising EPAP....

sometimes in order to succeed it just takes one more try. and a lot of frustration along the way.

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm

thanks. I went to see that place already but didnt have a sleep study there. I guess I may need to call them and talk to them again about my symptoms.

Is it abnormal for your arms and hands to go slightly numb and face warm, when oxygen deprived at around 84% or so?

I wouldn't think so. But then again, I see people reporting they get into the 70's for SpO2 and don't hear them complaining about arms/legs going numb. After looking at my chart, it appears I was having issues for around 40 seconds before my body woke me up.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm

WarpedTrekker wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm
Is it abnormal for your arms and hands to go slightly numb and face warm, when oxygen deprived at around 84% or so?
Yes, it's abnormal. Most people have no symptoms whatsoever at that level.

Here's an entertaining video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 pm

WT - Is there a reason you're ignoring my posts re Thoracic outlet syndrome?

I learned about it working for various neurologists.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Awhile back, I experienced numbness and tingling in my right arm--due to a shoulder impingement.
I had considered thoracic outlet syndrome, but PT helped me recover.
Physical therapy can be the first line of defense in many similar cases.
It could be worth your time and energy.

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 pm

palerider wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:34 pm
WarpedTrekker wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:30 pm
Yes, it's abnormal. Most people have no symptoms whatsoever at that level.

Here's an entertaining video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUfF2MTnqAw
Thanks. Watched the whole video. So I definitely don't want it to hit no where near 60%. I flew to Vegas in April, and on each flight, I started to feel lack of oxygen(hypoxic), and flushed face. Had two different planes going there, one coming back. I used my Samsung S10 phone built-in oximeter sensor, which showed around SpO2 85-90%. It sometimes went up higher but didn't stay there. When I took deep breaths it went to 90-95% but afterwards returned to the mid-to-high 80's.

I saw my pulmonologist who did just a quick walking test which was normal. A couple months ago, wore a two-week holter monitor which was normal. No AFIB during that time. Two weeks ago, had an Echo Stress Test where they got my HR to 170bpm, which was 105% of my max. The oximeter I wore stayed normal range around 95%-98%. No AFIB occurred, and my cardiologist gave me clean bill of health.

But when my HR is at rest, my SpO2 is always only 93-95% and never higher. And when I first lay down in bed, it goes down to 90-92% before staying at 92-94% for most of the night.

I've had two DVT/PE's which may have something to do with this. Before my first DVT/PE, I went on a trip to Hawaii and didn't have any issues on those long flights.

What would you suggest I tell my doctor to look for?
Should I have them do a VQ Scan or CT Scan again of my lungs, since they never did a follow up, once I started blood thinners?

I also had a Venus CO2 blood test recently which was good. Doctors have ruled out almost everything they could and my cardiologist and electrophysiologist both say nothing wrong with my heart. My pulmonologist says nothing wrong with my lungs... So where to go from here?

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Julie wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:53 pm
WT - Is there a reason you're ignoring my posts re Thoracic outlet syndrome?

I learned about it working for various neurologists.
Not ignoring. I have it written in my notes and was reading about it now. TOS does seem possible. I have to wear a neck brace at night to keep my neck straight, otherwise I would occassionally get a lot of OA's in my sleep one-after-another. In 2017 it got so bad, that it caused me to go into AFIB. After suggestions here about a cervical neck brace it has helped with that issue. My neck and posture is curved forward a bit, due to sitting all these years at a desk and computer. And at night I'm pretty sure I tuck my chin in which was causing some of the issues.

The other issue is that when I stand or sit up, it takes a minute for my SpO2 to regulate. I'll wear both my Contec SpO2 watch, and a finger tip O2 sensor. Both show same readings. When I walk around it will be around 95%. When I sit down, and watch the readings, it will drop to 88-90%, then slowly go back up to 94-95% which is my normal. Last year was tested for Dysautonomia, which was negative.

What type of doctor would I see for TOS?

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:51 pm

WarpedTrekker wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:10 pm
What would you suggest I tell my doctor to look for?
Should I have them do a VQ Scan or CT Scan again of my lungs, since they never did a follow up, once I started blood thinners?
I'm sorry, but I have no suggestions, I'm here to help people with cpap,
Anything I suggested to you to tell your doctor about this would be beyond wild guesses.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 am

Have you ever seen a neurosurgeon (not an orthopedic one) who could look at your neck and also check for TOS? Be wary of orthopods who only want to operate no matter what... n-surgeons also operate, but will have a more conservative and more knowledgable take on the overall picture, so if you have e.g. cervical disc or other problems, they could easily explain some of what you're experiencing.

WarpedTrekker

Post by WarpedTrekker » Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:46 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:13 am
Have you ever seen a neurosurgeon (not an orthopedic one) who could look at your neck and also check for TOS? Be wary of orthopods who only want to operate no matter what... n-surgeons also operate, but will have a more conservative and more knowledgable take on the overall picture, so if you have e.g. cervical disc or other problems, they could easily explain some of what you're experiencing.
No I haven't seen a neurosurgeon. Thanks for bringing that up. I never thought about seeing one for this issue. I'm going to contact my general doctor today to get some referrals. But in the past he hasn't been much help either since he is a family doctor at a clinic.

I always suspected though that this has something to do with nerves getting pinched or something in my sleep. Or something with my neck posture during sleep, which is why I now wear a soft cervical neck brace during sleep.