Cheapest Source for Distilled Water

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
derlaine

Cheapest Source for Distilled Water

Post by derlaine » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Hi all, I have to rinse my nose everyday with saline. Wondering what everyone is using to get distilled water cheaply and efficiently ? Right now I can get a gallon for 99 cents which isn't too bad but i'm wondering if there are better ways.

The manual for the Neil Med says boiled water is good for 7 days but that seems like it'll introduce minerals.

Look forward to hearing what everyone is doing !

TropicalDiver

Re: Cheapest Source for Distilled Water

Post by TropicalDiver » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:34 pm

There are a few people here who set up their own distilling rig. Many people here use potable tap water (and deal with cleaning any mineral deposits). In the US, distilled water is typically inexpensive and widely available -- but is a hassle to lug home. I figure a gallon lasts at least ten days (fill tank completely each day)-- so that is about $40/yr max. That is CPAP.

That said, given some complications that have arisen, I would be extremely cautious with anything I am using to directly rinse my nose or sinus. I would follow those directions closely.
Machine: Aircurve 10 Vauto (Prior S9 VPAP)
Mask: Quattro Air FFM and AirTouch F20 FFM

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:46 pm

derlaine wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:11 pm
Hi all, I have to rinse my nose everyday with saline. Wondering what everyone is using to get distilled water cheaply and efficiently ? Right now I can get a gallon for 99 cents which isn't too bad but i'm wondering if there are better ways.

The manual for the Neil Med says boiled water is good for 7 days but that seems like it'll introduce minerals.

I just use tap water, (properly treated municipal water).

But, to answer your question, the cheapest distilled water is that which you make yourself with a home distiller.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:41 am

I used to make my own distilled water, there are several table top distillers you can purchase online -
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:42 am

NeilMed only uses 6 oz...a gallon is 128 oz. You can get 20 refils from a gallon. Even with your CPAP I think a gallon will last over 2 weeks. For $2 a month it wouldn't be worth the effort to look for an alternative.

Divinitous

Post by Divinitous » Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:42 am

LSAT wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:42 am
NeilMed only uses 6 oz...a gallon is 128 oz. You can get 20 refils from a gallon. Even with your CPAP I think a gallon will last over 2 weeks. For $2 a month it wouldn't be worth the effort to look for an alternative.
I completely agree. I use the NeilMed bottle about twice a day now. I only use distilled water and I would strongly suggest not using tap water and definitely not well water. The instructions say to only use distilled or boiled water anyways. For the few $$ a month it's worth the peace of mind.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:28 am

derlaine wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:11 pm

Rain! Very Cheap, may have things picked up from falling from the sky. :lol: Jim

Catch it in a pan boil it and strain it thru a coffee filter.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:35 pm

Just to be clear, the risks of nasal and sinus irrigation is very different from breathing air passed over a heated tank of water.

While not giant in number, there are numerous cases where using municipal or other potable water sources for sinus rinses have resulted in very serious illnesses; including fatalities. I would not use tap water for this purpose!

prodigyplace

Post by prodigyplace » Mon Jul 22, 2019 1:44 pm

i buy it from Walmart in a gallon jug About 88 cents, I believe.

Please visit our sponsor, CPAP.com at https://www.cpap.com/ for all your CPAP needs.

Spot123

Post by Spot123 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:24 pm

I have alternated between the supermarket brand and Walmart. Supermarket brand is usually about 89 cents but sometimes they are out and I have to get Poland Springs, which adds 30 cents. We have several markets in town and the other supermarket brand costs 10 cents more so it mostly depends where I am when I remember. I usually buy 2 gallons at a time which is enough buffer time for me. I had been using the distilled water to rinsing out the tubing and tub after their weekly vinegar soaks, but stopped that after a few months and the gallon lasts a lot longer.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:20 pm

While water is sterile by boiling, distilled water may not be, in the supply chain it can pick up things. Boiling distilled water will kill problems. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:56 pm

synapse wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 pm
I definitely would be careful with municipal water.

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/naegleria ... siana.html
2013 called....

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ajack

Post by ajack » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am

I have no hesitation in using tap water. Think about it, it's good enough to drink.
Have a google here on old threads, Studies show germs from the tank can not be transported to the mask. Also these germs are naturally in your environment that you live in.

TropicalDiver

Post by TropicalDiver » Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:23 am

ajack wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:19 am
I have no hesitation in using tap water. Think about it, it's good enough to drink.
Have a google here on old threads, Studies show germs from the tank can not be transported to the mask. Also these germs are naturally in your environment that you live in.
For CPAP, I agree. For nedi pot, no. Plenty of cases including in the last few years....