Searching for Most Comfortable Chin Strap to stop Mouth Leaks

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
NorwichTerrier

Searching for Most Comfortable Chin Strap to stop Mouth Leaks

Post by NorwichTerrier » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:17 am

I feel sure this topic has been addressed before, but my situation might be somewhat different. I know I am having leaks caused by mouth breathing or opening my mouth when I am deeply asleep. My recent supply order came with a chin strap, which I tried last night. It is the type with a hole for the chin and velcro at the top, with only a piece on each side going to the top of the head in front of the ears. I managed to keep it on all night, and the leaks were much less with it. I didn't sleep all that well, as the thing slipped on my head every time I moved. The deal breaker, though, was when I woke up at 5:30 a.m. and discovered a deep ridge under my chin that still hasn't completely disappeared, and it is now after ten o'clock. The ridge area was very sensitive to the touch when I took the strap off.

If there is a better option that will not cause painful lines or deep ridges in my face and is secure and comfortable to wear without slippage, I would like to give it another shot. Before I received the chin strap, I tried taping my mouth with 3M paper tape, but my lips were sore when I removed it, and have been for the past two days. It would be the most effective solution, but I sometimes cough in the night, which would mean putting a new piece of tape on, and that isn't really conducive to a good night's sleep, which is the goal for all of us on CPAP Therapy.

I have just finished looking at a large number of chin straps online, and there are just too many, and I know so little about them, so thought I would go to the experts here on this forum. Any help, suggestions, or other alternatives would be very much appreciated. And your input as to whether mouth taping would be a better solution instead of the chin strap. Thank you very much for your help. I really need it, as I have been having major leaks, which I can definitely say are caused by not keeping my mouth closed during periods of deep sleep.

Pugsy

Re: Searching for Most Comfortable Chin Strap to stop Mouth Leaks

Post by Pugsy » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 am

Have you considered Zonker and Jay's scunci?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

NorwichTerrier

Post by NorwichTerrier » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:51 am

Thanks, Pugsy, that looks very comfortable and might be something I could try. I also didn't realize that I should take my lips out of the equation when taping, so that may also work. I will try that again tonight.

bernieb

Post by bernieb » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:53 am

Of course, everyone is different but I have 5 or 6 different chinstraps that I have tried and the best one I have found so far is the Respironics #302425. I have been using that every night for more than a month. I do have the original (paid for by Medicare) and I know that there are some copies available. I think what makes this better is the band that goes around the back of my head.

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/respir ... -chinstrap

NorwichTerrier

Post by NorwichTerrier » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:22 am

Thank you - that does look very comfortable!

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:36 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:34 am
Have you considered Zonker and Jay's scunci?
meerkat.gif
works for me and leaves no visible marks.

oh, i can get marks where my teeth meet my lower lip, but that's when i put an extra tight elastic band on it. and that's on the INSIDE so no big.

as always, i highly recommend it.

plus the firm foam collar, of course.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Barbee

Post by Barbee » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:54 pm

I ordered this one from Amazon. Its very comfortable

Anti Snoring Chin Strap for Cpap Users [2019 Upgrade] The Adjustable Snore Solution - Stop Snoring Comfortable Devices, Breathable, Flexible & Easily Adjustable Chin Straps https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R4J5H6J/re ... oDbZ959Q1C

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:12 pm

Chin straps don't stop mouth breathing, they just hold your jaw closed.. clench your teeth, you can still breathe through your mouth, because teeth aren't airtight.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

CaptainPAP

Post by CaptainPAP » Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:21 pm

Hi - I am a Newbie but let me outline my chin strap selecting experience so far. This issue became almost important as what CPAP mask I should use (after trying several I have settled on nasal pillows and I am very satisfied with them).

Below are the masks I bought and used over the last month (labelled as Mask #1, #2, etc.).

Here are my findings and preferences:
1. The amount of mask material touching my face became very important as I prefer minimal gear on my head (hence my preference for nasal pillows). Hands down Mask #3 became my Go To choice. Long term though, I suspect it will loose its band tightness but it was only $15.00 so it's easily replaced when the time comes.
2. Even though a mask can be latex thin and provide good support, too much facial contact was irritating for me as in Mask #1.
3. Mask #2 is what I would call the Industrial Strength model. All the bands are the same thickness (4 mm - 3/16") and about 1" in width plus it is heavily stitched. You can be sure your mouth won't open. It felt like I was wearing something from a sporting goods store (and my mountain bike helmet should be attached on top).
4. Mask #4 attempts to take all the features for a perfect chin strap and put them in one model. In my opinion they did an excellent job. They used two different types of material - foam and fabric and engineered the different band widths to account for comfort and strength. It doesn't feel as big as it might seem in the photos. I'll keep this one since it's comfortable but my preference is still Mask #3.

Mask#1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G5 ... UTF8&psc=1

Mask#2
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN ... UTF8&psc=1

Mask#3
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4 ... UTF8&psc=1

Mask#4
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008M ... =UTF8&th=1

As you noted, on Amazon there's dozens of these things and from the photos it can be difficult to completely understand what you'll be getting. Thankfully they are low priced and most seemed to come with easy return policies, so I would not be shy about taking a few for a test drive.

Wishing you the best...

Full face masks highly recommended above 14,000 feet per Federal Aviation Regulations Part 91.211.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm

IMHO, "comfortable chin strap" is an oxymoron.
Just my own experience.

Okie bipap

Post by Okie bipap » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:21 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:03 pm
IMHO, "comfortable chin strap" is an oxymoron.
Just my own experience.
I agree one hundred percent.

Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional.

DeCoss

Post by DeCoss » Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:45 pm

I tried a number of chin straps and then changed to a Mirage Quattro Full Face mask. It covers my mouth completely and solved the problem. That was almost 10 years ago.

reversemigration

Post by reversemigration » Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 pm

The scunci solution works for me - when I combine it with taping. Alas, in my case, neither works alone.

I tried headgear-style chin straps and found them either too uncomfortable or that they left marks that lasted well into the day.

TheDuke

Post by TheDuke » Sun Jul 28, 2019 8:53 pm

I have tried several different brands of chin straps and disliked most of them. My personal choice of chin strap is called PAP-Cap.It is all cotton with no stretchy straps that stretch out of usability. I have been using it several years and have found it quite satisfactory. It costs quite a bit more than most chin straps, but mine last several years before getting too raggedy. My local DME can't or won't get it, but several on-line firms offer them.

TheDuke

Abbey sleeps

Post by Abbey sleeps » Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:32 pm

I’ve been using a scunci headband into which I cut a 3-4” length-wise slit to mimic the P10 headgear. I find this works quite well and stays on my head. I’ve been using this in conjunction with a P10. Hope this helps.