Hacking the Swift FX short tube

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
marcurelio

Hacking the Swift FX short tube

Post by marcurelio » Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm

Hello, friends.

Can anyone tell me why does the Swift FX has that short tube?Wouldn't it be simple to just have a plastic connector so it would just fit into the main tube?

And then I thought: maybe I could make this connector by cutting off both extremities of the short tube and gluing them together. It's not (just) a matter of being cheap: I can't find this short tube anywhere to buy here (I'm from Brazil).

Has anyone ever tried this? Do you guys think it would work? Would you want pictures of it?

Thank you all!

EDITED FOR CLARITY
Last edited by marcurelio on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goofproof

Re: Hacking the Swift FX short tube

Post by Goofproof » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 pm

You are doing it all wrong, wrap the cat then blow dry it, the new tube will last longer. (Not Really), Call Animal Control or Control your Cat! :lol: Jim

Show them you are the Alphacat.
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Suggest you get a plastic box with a tight fitting lid and put your entire hose and mask apparatus in it during the day to keep if from the cats.

If they are chomping down on your supplies while you sleep, either ban them from your room or wrap the hose in aluminum foil as they will find that very unpleasant to bite down on.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

marcurelio

Post by marcurelio » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:05 pm

I made a newbie mistake with the cat story. That was not relevant to the issue, it was just to provide context. Now I'm getting to the point. Sorry, my bad

HoseCrusher

Post by HoseCrusher » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:50 pm

It is more comfortable to manipulate the smaller short hose than the full sized hose. In addition the stiffness of the short hose is much smaller than the main hose. This means that if you roll over, there is a great reduction in the possibility of pulling your mask off of your face if you have the smaller short hose.

With that said, you may be able to re-train your sleep habits and patterns to deal with a stiffer hose. A good wrapping with Rescue Tape would make the connection.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:22 pm

Hacking on the tubing may cause air leaks. :lol: Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:57 pm

marcurelio wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:34 pm
Hello, friends.

Can anyone tell me why does the Swift FX has that short tube?
So that the longer, heavier regular tube is further from your face and less likely to pull the mask off.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

marcurelio

Post by marcurelio » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:05 pm

Yeah, you guys have a good point: the last mask I used that was connected directly to the main tube whas a much bigger one. I see where this could be an issue with the Swift FX.

I'm now considering buying the Philips Respironics Dreamweaver. It is connected to the big tube, but its desing seems to have thecapacity to deal with it. Would anyone recommend it?