Travel CPAPs?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
USMCVet

Travel CPAPs?

Post by USMCVet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:58 pm

Before making a final decision and pulling the trigger I was hoping to get opinions on pros and cons of travel CPAPs for my purpose.
I'm looking for something mostly to use while camping with the possibility of hiking trips.
For camping I want something to use for hammock camping so smaller the better and obviously the more power efficient the better.

That said I don't want something super loud but a little louder then my current dreamstation without humidifier would be a fair trade off.

Any suggestions? I have a backup airsense 10 autoset but that's less power efficient then my dreamstation.

I'm thinking the HDM z2 auto might be a good fit for what I'm looking for? Any other suggestions?

ETA: I can get a brand new Z2 auto for $442 to my door.

Cardsfan

Re: Travel CPAPs?

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:29 pm

I have the Dreamstation GO with battery. It works just a well as my Resmed Airsense 10 auto. The battery lasts 2 full 8 hour nights on a full charge. It is quiet, and has an optional humidifier. The other one I would suggest is the Resmed AirMini, but I don't know about its battery. The Airmini has a 30 day free trial.

USMCVet

Post by USMCVet » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:45 pm

The air mini is also restrictive in what masks you can wear I thought.

Legrunt

Post by Legrunt » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am

USMCVet wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:45 pm
The air mini is also restrictive in what masks you can wear I thought.
There are adapters you can buy (or 3D print on your own) to allow the use of any mask.

Additional Comments: Uses a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask for travel as it packs a lot flatter than the F20. But it's a little noisier.
Derek

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:14 am

Legrunt wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:53 am

There are adapters you can buy (or 3D print on your own) to allow the use of any mask.
By using a standard mask and hose, does this make the air-mini much quieter? I have seen posts about making the adapters and/or muffler with a 3d printer; but where can you purchase the adapters?
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set
Mask: AirFit P10

MVPinBoynton

Post by MVPinBoynton » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 am

I have found where to buy an adapter, so now just need to know if’s normal mask reduces the excessive noise. I would think it would, since the HumidX area seems to be the cause of most noise.
ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set
Mask: AirFit P10

Legrunt

Post by Legrunt » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:10 pm

MVPinBoynton wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:50 am
I have found where to buy an adapter, so now just need to know if’s normal mask reduces the excessive noise. I would think it would, since the HumidX area seems to be the cause of most noise.
Yes, the humidX area produces a lot of noise. But that is also where the vent is, if you use it with the P10 or N20 (Airmini Specific versions). If you buy an adapter to remove the humidX housing, you MUST MUST MUST make sure that it is a standard mask you will be using with the adapter that has its own vent. If you somehow (can't imagine how, but just in case) manage to stick the original P10 or N20 mask into that adapter, you will have no vent and that's very dangerous.

Having said all of the above, the Airmini itself is quite a noisy machine, compared to the Dreamstation Go. You may eliminate a lot of noise by getting rid of the humidX, but the machine itself will still be noisy, due to the fan being smaller than the others (hence having to spin faster to produce similar pressures)

Additional Comments: Uses a Dreamwear hybrid full face mask for travel as it packs a lot flatter than the F20. But it's a little noisier.
Derek