bandana or mouth muffle

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
weroberts75

bandana or mouth muffle

Post by weroberts75 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

After wearing a full mask for nearly a year and a half... basically since the DreamWear Full Face Mask came out, I decided to try the Bleep DreamWay interface.
I like it, but I do not want to wear a chinstrap and have determined that mouth tape with the Bleep DreamWay is not necessary for my therapy or quality of sleep even though
taping definitely helped my numbers when I was wearing a full mask.

I would like to mitigate the effects of mouth leak without restricting jaw movement.
Basically, I have two goals:
1) decrease loss of humidity through the mouth
2) decrease extra noises due to mouth leak

Since I do not care about totally eliminating mouth leak, I was wondering if anyone has had success just using a bandana or a mouth muffle to cover their mouth at night.
I know that someone posted about using a scrunchie that looped around the ears, but I don't really want something tight or with excess elastic.

Gryphon

Re: bandana or mouth muffle

Post by Gryphon » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 am

I used to use a different mouth taping technique that involved one single strip from just under the nose to the bottom of my chin... this was mainly to help me keep my mouth shut to cut down on air turbulence from my full face mask, drying out my mouth and gums.

This way you can still breathe through your mouth if you need to like a trumpet player takes a breath with out taking the mouth piece from there mouth... through the sides. I found pinching my lips together made it so I didnt breath through my mouth with out deliberately trying so it cut way way down on mouth breathing.

If you're looking to try a bandana you could get one of those and fold it a few times and gently tie it to see if that gives you what you need.

If your picky about the fabric [no problem with that] you could always stop by a fabric store and get a 1/4 yard of something you really like, or try an old tshirt you can cut and re-use the fabric on.

Best of luck,

Gryphon

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:07 pm

Gryphon wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:34 am
I used to use a different mouth taping technique that involved one single strip from just under the nose to the bottom of my chin... this was mainly to help me keep my mouth shut to cut down on air turbulence from my full face mask, drying out my mouth and gums.

This way you can still breathe through your mouth if you need to like a trumpet player takes a breath with out taking the mouth piece from there mouth... through the sides. I found pinching my lips together made it so I didnt breath through my mouth with out deliberately trying so it cut way way down on mouth breathing.

If you're looking to try a bandana you could get one of those and fold it a few times and gently tie it to see if that gives you what you need.

If your picky about the fabric [no problem with that] you could always stop by a fabric store and get a 1/4 yard of something you really like, or try an old tshirt you can cut and re-use the fabric on.

Best of luck,

Gryphon
Thank you for those tips. I might try your taping suggestion, and I also found some posts that others had made on how to use different types of cloth.

I just realized that I also need to turn up my humidity. It is set for a full mask, but I remember now that I always needed it set higher when I used nasal pillows.

Billy

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:06 pm

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:11 am
Here's an item I suggest rather than tape. It's a stretch headband made from a thin, soft cotton like material similar to that of a T shirt. It is double thickness (a tube), but still thin with a seam at one edge. It doesn't unravel when cut. It is about 2.5 inches wide and fits nicely between the nose and chin. I think it would fit most without being too tight or loose. I wear it just like a headband only pulled down over the mouth and ears. I cut holes for my ears. It does not interfere with a P10 or Dreamwear nasal mask. When it is worn with the seam down, it tends to keep the bottom lip closed. It is porous so that chipmunk cheeks are less likely to form, but at the same time, it restricts the flow and reduces mouth leaks considerably. It also softens the noise of mouth leaks and discourages mouth inhalation. I've worn it for about two months and it has reduced my average nasal mask leaks (mouth) from an average of about 12L/m to about 5 rarely exceeding the large leak mark. I've see them sold at various places including grocery and drug stores. They cost about $5 for a set of five and are washable. One set should easily last a year. Here's some at Amazon.

P.S. I put the head band on and marked it with a pen to determine where to cut the ear holes.
Like this:

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Calling all zonkers...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:16 pm

palerider wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:54 pm
Calling all zonkers...
meerkat.gif

yeah, yeah , yeah. but JAY posted the original and i didn't want to tread on his toes.

but i do have something to add so i'll go respond to the OP.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:53 am

I know that someone posted about using a scrunchie that looped around the ears, but I don't really want something tight or with excess elastic.
you may want to revisit the scunci. next time your in the hair care aisle, have a look at them. feel them in your hand. they aren't that tight. plus, there is more than one kind within the brand. they come in different lengths and so on. and if the store is large enough, it will have competing brands as well. mine carries "goodie" as well as scunci.

you can get one that just covers the mouth. here, let me post you an extremely ugly pick, which may demonstrate-
IMG_0081.JPG
yeah i go a little nuts on the hair bands, i'll admit. but it truly works for me. what i want to draw your attention to, though, is the bottom band i'm wearing. this goes around the back of my neck and gently presses my bottom lip against my teeth. not tight at all.

so, i suggest you give it a try. i don't think it will be as uncomfortable as you imagine.

good luck!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm

I'll revisit that idea. I assumed the scunci was tight because I heard the word elastic.
I probably shouldn't have written it off so quickly.

I also discovered there's a thing called a mouth muffle, which can be worn only over the mouth if desired (even though most pictures show it over both the mouth and the nose):

Attachments
muffle.png
muffle.png (847.03 KiB) Viewed 2438 times

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:40 pm

Same idea. Looks a little larger than necessary, though. Probably more expensive than Scunci. A Scunci does exactly what you asked for in your initial post without being "tight".

From my post above:
When it is worn with the seam down, it tends to keep the bottom lip closed. It is porous so that chipmunk cheeks are less likely to form, but at the same time, it restricts the flow and reduces mouth leaks considerably. It also softens the noise of mouth leaks and discourages mouth inhalation

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:09 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:45 pm
I'll revisit that idea. I assumed the scunci was tight because I heard the word elastic.
I probably shouldn't have written it off so quickly.
please let me know if you do. i'm a very big fan of this method. but i'm a realistic person. if doesn't work for you, it doesn't work. have had a few people say they have tried it and they didn't care for it.

i just want to keep track of things like that! :lol:
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Darth Zonker wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:25 pm

you can get one that just covers the mouth. here, let me post a pic from my Jedi days, which may demonstrate-
Darth_Zonker.jpg
Darth_Zonker.jpg (182.94 KiB) Viewed 2412 times
You know I don't have any restraint with that pic.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:16 pm

Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm
Darth Zonker wrote:

you can get one that just covers the mouth. here, let me post a pic from my Jedi days, which may demonstrate-

Darth_Zonker.jpg
Jedi libel!!!!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am

zonker wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:16 pm
Dog Slobber wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:06 pm
Darth Zonker wrote:

Darth_Zonker.jpg
Jedi libel!!!!
I don't really use the internet during the weekend, but anyway it's Monday now and I went to Target to look for the Scunci things y'all were talking about.
I was a bit confused as to where to go but the lady acted like she helps lost dads and husbands all the time and she steered me the right way.

Now that I see that there is a difference between the Scunci "Headband" and the Scunci "Scrunchi" it all makes sense.
I have a pack of headbands, and I'll see if I can return the surgical masks, which my wife said probably wouldn't be very comfortable.
Mainly because she's worn those masks before and knows how hot they can get.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

weroberts75 wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:57 am

I don't really use the internet during the weekend, but anyway it's Monday now and I went to Target to look for the Scunci things y'all were talking about.
I was a bit confused as to where to go but the lady acted like she helps lost dads and husbands all the time and she steered me the right way.

Now that I see that there is a difference between the Scunci "Headband" and the Scunci "Scrunchi" it all makes sense.
I have a pack of headbands, and I'll see if I can return the surgical masks, which my wife said probably wouldn't be very comfortable.
Mainly because she's worn those masks before and knows how hot they can get.
ahhh! very good. as i said, please let me know what the results are, even if it's negative.

good luck!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 7:53 am

zonker wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:04 pm

ahhh! very good. as i said, please let me know what the results are, even if it's negative.

good luck!
Thank you!