Travel Machine

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: Travel Machine

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am

One of my main concerns about getting a brick no data machine for a back up or travel machine is what happens if my main machine craps out and/or maybe I need or want that data that I gave up to save a few bucks????

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am
One of my main concerns about getting a brick no data machine for a back up or travel machine is what happens if my main machine craps out and/or maybe I need or want that data that I gave up to save a few bucks????
A valid concern. Believe it or not I have 2 AirSence 10 Autoset, 1 AirStart 10 CPAP, 1 Respironics System One CPAP and a Respironics System One BiPAP basically never used. The BIPAP is my Wife and she would not use it. I sent it up as BIPAP with pressure at 11CC on both inhaul and exhale. The closet I could get to my CPAP 11cc.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:53 am

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:41 am
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:29 am
A valid concern. Believe it or not I have 2 AirSence 10 Autoset, 1 AirStart 10 CPAP, 1 Respironics System One CPAP and a Respironics System One BiPAP basically never used. The BIPAP is my Wife and she would not use it. I sent it up as BIPAP with pressure at 11CC on both inhaul and exhale. The closet I could get to my CPAP 11cc.

Roger
:lol: You are well covered for sure. I mention my concerns mainly for people who aren't necessarily getting a backup to their back up machine. I have had as many as 5 machines at one time but I am currently down to 3. I have had backups for the backups for the backups. I have always got full data backups though. Mainly because I hadn't stumbled across a screaming hot deal on a brick machine and I absolutely have to have auto adjusting. I can't get by with fixed cpap because of my REM stage pressure needs. Sometimes it is 8 cm higher than non REM and I just don't want to use that extra 8 cm all night just to cover REM.
I don't want to use 15 cm all night... :lol: Yuck. I much prefer 7 to 9 for 80% of the night and the other 20% at the much higher pressures if I need them.

I also absolutely have to have a heated hose because of my humidity needs and the household ambient temps in the winter.
I need pretty much max humidity to keep my nose happy and I keep the house on the cold side in the winter and I don't like snorting rain out in the middle of the night....not to mention the racket it causes which will even wake my husband. I have fought rain out in the past before heated hoses and I don't want to do it again.

For that reason even if I got the AirStart APAP for free...I wouldn't want it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Cardsfan

Post by Cardsfan » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:59 am

If you decide to do Craigslist, I have a few tips-

Meet at the library- quiet, have tables with electrical power. Take your own mask and long hose and give it a good trial. Or, take the hubs with you if you don't use a cpap.
Make sure the run hours are what you think they are.
Smoke free, pet free home- check it for yucky smoke smells while you use it.
Don't overpay- if it shoots craps, you do not have a warranty. It is not transferable.
Don't be in a hurry- take your time and check it out and use it.

How many Run Hours show on the screen? How much money are they asking?

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:16 am

Ron439 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 am
Okay, I'll have to agree, the best option would be to stick with a second AirSense 10, if I can get it. I've actually just found one on Craigslist ... so do y'all think that is trustworthy to buy that way? This is what the listing says:

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP that I no longer need and wanted to see if there was someone with the medical needs who could use a discount on a like new machine. Machine has low hour usage, can verify view settings at purchase. Also comes with original instructions, case and power cable (no water chamber or tubing included).

I think I've purchased from Craigslist twice -- once was a great purchase, the other was garbage. So I have mixed feelings. This one is a good deal and would fit my needs 100%.
I've purchased a few machines online (Letgo, FaceBook MarketPlace, Kijiji).

Considerations:
  • How old is the machine?
  • How many run hours? (verify it)
  • What accessories?
  • Smoking household?
  • Inspect it.
  • Bring a mask and hose with your and verify it's working. I went to visit a potential purchase and the smell of cigarettes smoke was overwhelming.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:22 am

Airstart is in NO WAY the "same thing".
Any claims to the contrary are pure LIES.
It is a discounted, bottom level machine--barely usable for "charity" use.
My old Devilbiss Intellipap auto (travel/DC machine) is preferable.

K5MOW

Post by K5MOW » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am

chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:22 am
I definitely don’t want this to turn into an argument. But I have talked to a certified repair technician and he told me most of The parts like the blower motor are exactly the same as the AirSence 10. The computer or the computer board is really the only difference. Quality is just as good. Obviously minus the data and some features. I will state this is just my opinion and the opinion of a factory certified technician.

Roger
Moderate to Severe Sleep Apnea

Airsense 10 Autoset AirStart 10 CPAP

Mirage Quattro Full Face Mask

Roger

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:56 am

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:14 am
A good option could be a AirStart 10. CPAP.COM has it for $279.00. Same machine with out the data.

Roger
Please stop recommending any airstart machine,
Even when traveling, actually, especially when traveling, it can be important to get good data, because different conditions may require settings changes for good sleep.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:58 am

Ron439 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:51 am
Hi! It's been a long time since I've visited the forum, but thought y'all could give me some advice. I'm ordering some supplies for my husband, and thought while I'm at it I would look at machines. He has said repeatedly that he would love to have a machine for travel. He's been using the ResMed AirSense 10 AutoSet, and very happy with it. He's not even using the humidifier any more, he's so well adjusted. Since his machine is working well at home, this secondary machine will be strictly for travel, and not used as often, so I'm not looking to make a significant investment. I'm not trying to be cheap, but I'm sure you can understand why I'd like to be economical about this purchase. Can you recommend a good machine to pack and go that won't be super expensive? I'd like to stay with an auto machine, since that's what he's used to. I appreciate anything you can tell me!
I'd recommend another Autoset, LSAT has them available for not super expensive... having the same machine means that he'd get the same results... he'd know everything about it, and everything should be the same.

I've got a spare duplicate of my main machine in it's bag, hoses, mask, everything, ready to grab and go.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:00 pm

I could be wrong but I think that ChunkyFrog is thinking about the RESmart models from 3B.
Those are indeed cheaply made Chinese knockoffs of the ResMed machines. They even tried to steal part of the ResMed name.

The ResMed AirStart models...indeed made with probably the same stuff as the AirSense models in terms of innards. Just minus some features but the guts are probably the same. Makes better business sense to do it that way. Just like the only real difference between the Elite and the Autoset....software/firmware installed.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:03 pm

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:47 am
One more thing I thought I would add. I believe I am correct on this. The AirSence 10 Auto set is more aggressive in the changing of pressure than most other brands. So if he is doing well on the AirSence 10 Autoset. He might not do as well with another brand not being quite as of aggressive as other Brands.

Please correct me if I am incorrect

Roger
The Resmed auto algorithm isn't more "aggressive", rather it is more RESPONSIVE than philips and many other brands... while a Philips machine sits there and ignores breathing events, the Resmed RESPONDS to them and makes your sleep better.

Watch this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzCCgNLya_g

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:07 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am
Essentially correct except I like to use the term "responsive" instead of "aggressive". It simply responds faster than some of the other brands when in auto adjusting mode. Goes up faster and comes down faster.
I don't know if it raises pressure "faster" than other brands, but it does raise it *sooner*... I know that's a slippery definition, ... it's faster in time, but I'm not sure that the rate of pressure increase is any faster than other brands... so yeah, more "responsive" is a much better way to say things, because it responds to needs more promptly.

ooof, that's a complicated thing to word.
Pugsy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:01 am
Aggressive denotes a negative in my mind but that's just me. Responsive sounds nicer. :lol:
And it's not like ResMed goes out trying to kill something that the other brands won't try to kill...it just makes a decision to go killing a little quicker and doesn't dilly dally around.

That going up faster can mean that people can use a lower baseline minimum with the ResMed and get the same or better results than with a different brand. I have used both the ResMed and Respironics apaps. With Respironics I needed a 10 cm minimum to do a good job and I can get the same good job with ResMed using 7 cm minimum and adding in 3 EPR to boot.
Now I can certainly do 10 cm easy enough but 7 inhale and 4 exhale is just so much sweeter than 10cm inhale with AFlex at 2...gave me about about 8.5 on exhale.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:13 pm

Ron439 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:17 am
Okay, I'll have to agree, the best option would be to stick with a second AirSense 10, if I can get it. I've actually just found one on Craigslist ... so do y'all think that is trustworthy to buy that way? This is what the listing says:

I have a Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset CPAP that I no longer need and wanted to see if there was someone with the medical needs who could use a discount on a like new machine. Machine has low hour usage, can verify view settings at purchase. Also comes with original instructions, case and power cable (no water chamber or tubing included).

I think I've purchased from Craigslist twice -- once was a great purchase, the other was garbage. So I have mixed feelings. This one is a good deal and would fit my needs 100%.
Yes, that sounds like something to look into, (just ignore K5MOW pushing the airstarts, they're junk)

When I do a craigslist buy of a cpap, I like to meet the person at a coffee shop or similar, where there's other people around, AND you can plug the unit in and test it. first, smell the intake and outlet *with the unit off*, for any objectionable smells... cigarette smoke is really hard to get out of those things. and if it's on, you won't be able to smell the stink...

Then plug it in, and run through the settings, check the run hours.. even hook up your hose and mask and put it on for a couple minutes, with the machine going, make sure that it feels like it should after you've set it to your settings... if everything looks good, THEN hand over the cash.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:17 pm

K5MOW wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:49 am
chunkyfrog wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:22 am
I definitely don’t want this to turn into an argument. But I have talked to a certified repair technician and he told me most of The parts like the blower motor are exactly the same as the AirSence 10. The computer or the computer board is really the only difference. Quality is just as good. Obviously minus the data and some features. I will state this is just my opinion and the opinion of a factory certified technician.

Roger
The programming is the *only* difference in all Resmed machines, The comments by your "factory certified technician" are irrelevant.

The airstart pieces of crap are the same inside as the many thousand dollar AirCurve ASV, and AirCurve iVAPS, the only difference is the *programming*.

That does NOT make them 'the same'. what they provide is *different*.

Please stop wasting everyone's time pushing airstart crap. (you're wasting people's time by causing people who know more than you to have to stop and refute your BAD ADVICE.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:18 pm

Response made all the difference for me.
I was stuck with an S9 Elite for several months--until I had the money for an Autoset.
Suffered for 8+ months. I never looked back.
I even donated the Elite to a free clinic.
(Even they prefer an auto--less need fo ar titration sleep study)
As nice as the S9 autoset was, I was amazed how much better I feel
with my Airsense 10 Autoset for her--in the for her mode, of course.
We pay big bucks for nice beds and decent hotel rooms.
Sleep is just that important.
Silly to cut corners, just to be miserable.