Should my mask be venting?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Rainmom17

Should my mask be venting?

Post by Rainmom17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 am

Hi all, this is my first time on in quite awhile. In general, cpap therapy is going well. However, I recently put on all new everything - hose, mask, connector. Same products I’ve always used - mask is a Resmed AirFit F20 - just replacing the older parts. With my previous mask and connector (elbow connector from mask to hose), there were vents. As I slept, air blew out of those vents (I think on my exhale). With the new connector, there aren’t any vents. When I place my hand in front of my mask, no air blows out. Aren't there supposed to be vents? Ive used it for about a week, and I’m feeling a bit suffocated. Last night I had a full blown panic attack from a suffocated feeling with my machine. First time that’s happened in the 2+ years I’ve used cpap. I ended up sleeping without machine - also for the first time since I started - because it made me so anxious. So, I’d love to hear from you. Should air be blowing out of vents as I sleep? Just to be clear, it wasn’t a leak in the past - there were clearly vents in the connector. I always found the blowing air soothing, although my husband didn’t like when it blew on him!
Thanks in advance.

LSAT

Re: Should my mask be venting?

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 am

Of course there are vents...you would suffocate without them. When your machine is running put your hand in front of the elbow and feel the air escaping. There are small holes in a circle around the elbow...those are vents. The air is diffused so it may not feel as strong as with other masks.
Last edited by LSAT on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:26 am

Rainmom17 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:19 am
When I place my hand in front of my mask, no air blows out. Aren't there supposed to be vents? Ive used it for about a week, and I’m feeling a bit suffocated.
If it wasn't venting, you'd be dead.
Put your hand closer.
Some newer masks have very diffused vents, so that they don't annoy your bed partner.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 am

Ok, I get it. But I feel no air when I put my hand near the connector. There’s a thick plastic piece that looks like it’s largely covering the vent holes. I hate it. The air that came out of my previous one prevented the suffocating feeling and also felt like air conditioning, which was really pleasant.

raisedfist

Post by raisedfist » Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:52 am

Crank up the pressure as a test and see if you can feel air venting. Try making your hand damp and see if you can feel the "breeze" on it after.

PS Min 6, PS Max 18, EPAP Min 4, EPAP Max 12

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:11 am

Agree with what everyone else said.

I use F20 AirTouch, different mask insert (they are interchangeable, mine has memory foam). It vents - very hard to feel it - but I see that as an awesome feature. No noise, doesn't cause me any grief when I'm smushed into the pillow (side sleeping, not an intentional smush) and air does not blow onto my husband.

You won't suffocate. As Palerider said, if it didn't vent you'd be dead.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:13 am

Maybe ask your dealer if your particular mask is defective somehow.

PS - the vent vents CO2, not plain 'air'.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:22 am

Rainmom17 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:38 am
Ok, I get it. But I feel no air when I put my hand near the connector. There’s a thick plastic piece that looks like it’s largely covering the vent holes. I hate it. The air that came out of my previous one prevented the suffocating feeling and also felt like air conditioning, which was really pleasant.
I have that mask..there is nothing that covers the vent holes. They go in a circle around the elbow...they may vet up or they may vent down...they are still venting. Take out the elbow and look at it against a window...you should see light through all the holes...if you don't, your elbow is very dirty and should be thoroughly cleaned.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 am

That was true until I replaced it. Something changed in the design and there is no longer that ring of circles. There’s a big plastic chunk covering them. It isn’t removable.
And it’s not dirty at all. It’s brand new.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:31 am

Can you post a photo?
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:36 am

Good idea on the photo. 12-hour work day today, but I'll try to get to it tomorrow.

Cruiser1234

Post by Cruiser1234 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:48 am

I have been using a quiet elbow for about a month and kept waking up with headaches. I switched to the old style and no more headaches. There is a difference and I prefer the older design.

PS you can just try your old elbow with the new mask/hose. They are interchangable.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:51 am

Rainmom17 wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:41 am
That was true until I replaced it. Something changed in the design and there is no longer that ring of circles. There’s a big plastic chunk covering them. It isn’t removable.
And it’s not dirty at all. It’s brand new.
Send picture.

But, the fact is, if it *weren't* venting, you'd have been dead within a few minutes.

Have you put your fingers right up against the vent? if I don't get within an inch or so of the vents on my last couple masks, I can't feel anything either, which I like.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:20 am

This is what mine looks like..lots of vent holes
F20.jpg
Last edited by LSAT on Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rainmom17

Post by Rainmom17 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:34 am

I'll post a photo when I can. Good idea to just use the old elbow...but I threw it away. :roll: