F20 nor Amara View working - what to choose?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tigerette

F20 nor Amara View working - what to choose?

Post by Tigerette » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:08 am

Hi all CPAP'ers!
I need your expertise advice please...
I've been using a CPAP mask since Oct 9th.
I have two masks at home for trial, F20 for her, size small and Amara View.
The F20 has the silicone fitting for further sealing area due to my very thin bridge on the nose.

I have problems with both masks.
The F20 gives me hurtful marks on the sides of my nose, hurting all day. The mask also slides up during night and into my eyes making them irritated and also starts to leak some when it has slid up. I don't like it at all due to that.

I love the Amara View due to not resting against the bridge of my nose...but it's leaking as heck..(although my cpap-machine still shows a smiley?!).
I'm turning like a carousel when sleeping and shifting position is what makes the leaks. It leaks either from one of the sides around the corners of my mouth or at the nose. Heavy leaks imo...which makes me wake up and having to adjust the mask. I'm so bloody tired cause of this that I'm now beginning to experience short time memory loss. Last night I drew a pencil mark every time I adjusted my mask and counted to 7 times this morning....I probably don't get any deep sleep.

In the county of Stockholm, Sweden, where I live I will only get one mask - ever. More masks, replacement of straps or anything else I have to pay for myself. The machine is rented for 10 US dollars/month and replaced if broken or too old. Since the FFM are more expensive maybe I should go for one of those and then pay for a nasal mask myself?

I was hoping you guys could point me in direction of masks that are good for people shifting positions during the night especially FFM or hybrids but also some nasal ones...

I asked my physician about an AirFit F30 but the healthcare system in Stockholm doesn't carry that model. I have to pay for it myself and buy it at ResMed in that case. (Cost: ~200 US dollars and no possibility to return if not fitting). What else do you think could be interesting for me?

Regarding nasal masks:
I've been on the forum some and I've noticed that Airfit P10 is popular but not sure if it fits a carousel like I am...Was looking at N20 too and N30i (as well as new N30) or perhaps P30i. (The healthcare system in Stockholm doesn't carry the 30-models though for some reason.) Any suggestions or recommendations?

Pugsy

Re: F20 nor Amara View working - what to choose?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:17 am

Welcome to the forum.

If you just have to use a full face mask take a look at the DreamWear full face mask from Respironics. Think of it as a much improved Amara View.
The frame for it can also be used to accommodate a nasal cushion interface or a nasal pillow interface (just need a different headgear)...might save some money.
https://www.usa.philips.com/healthcare/ ... on-options

Don't let the fact that you toss and turn keep you from trying a nasal pillow mask like the P10 if you want to. I toss and turn all night long because of back pain issues (just can't stay in any one position for very long) and you would be surprised as to just how "stuck" those nasal pillows stay.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

ragtopcircus

Post by ragtopcircus » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:30 am

I find the P30i to be a great choice for tossing and turning. The pillows are similar to the P10, but the hose swivel on top of the head is nice.

I found the N30i version to be too noisy for me.

The F30 is good, better than the F20 for me, but it can be finicky to get adjusted right.

I could not stop the Dreamwear FFM from leaking at my chin.

Tigerette

Post by Tigerette » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks for quick responses @ragtopcircus and @pugsy <3

I was somewhat under the impression that I needed a FFM, if nothing else as an extra mask, for when you get a cold....

I'm also not sure if I sleep with my mouth open (which will not work with a nasal mask). However, due to the forum here, I have already tried to sleep (one night) with my mouth sealed with surgical tape - and it worked for me - so nasal might still work. :)

JeffV

Post by JeffV » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:20 pm

Tigerette wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:52 am
I was somewhat under the impression that I needed a FFM, if nothing else as an extra mask, for when you get a cold....
Personal preference, really. I've used my nasal pillow mask every night for the last five years, even when I had a cold. I dial the humidity up a notch or two from where I usually keep it, and the humidity and positive pressure seem to help clear out my nose and I breathe through my nose pretty well. Many people do prefer to have a FFM on hand for this.

babydinosnoreless

Post by babydinosnoreless » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:50 pm

I toss and turn a lot. Pillows make my nose sore. I love my N20 for her. It comes across the sides and seems to give me more stability than the dreamwear nasal which is my backup mask for when I get a sore on my nose from my glasses. That being said if you have trouble with it fitting the bridge of your nose the dreamwear might work better.

I want to try the new N30 as I hear it has diffused venting like the p10.

weroberts75

Post by weroberts75 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:13 pm

Fisher-Paykel just released the Vitera full face mask in the U.S.

It's similar to their Simplus but is supposed to have fewer leaks around the nose and be more comfortable around the mouth.

bluper@cableone.net

Post by bluper@cableone.net » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:51 pm

I used the Amara View for over a year. I toss and turn all night and am a side sleeper. I switched to a Dreamwear nasal mask a few months ago. I love it! No hard plastic to dig in and leaks are minimal. I have to use a C collar too, I am a mouth breather. I ordered the Dreamwear kit from Amazon. The frame was a medium-sized and too big. I ordered a small frame and all is good now.
Bluper

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:27 pm

I have had great success with Full face: Resmed F30, Nasal: Dreamwear Nasal Pillows. You MAY need to use a chin strap with it if you are a mouth breather. Tried the Dreamwear Full face as well, but could not stop it from leaking. It may work for you though.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

Chris8243

Post by Chris8243 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:08 pm

I used Amara View for probably a year before I started having issues with leaking causing me to wake up every night. Tried AirTouch F20 and liked that for a while. Someone offered an AirTouch F20, interchangeable with that headgear. Loved it (as much as you can love a CPAP mask). I've been using the AirTouch F20 for at least 6 months now. It has memory foam around the edges which for me makes a great seal PLUS it does not leave dents in my cheeks.

Interesting (but bad for you) that your health system doesn't support the need for replaceable CPAP supplies that do wear out. I'm in the US and some people want & support socialized medicine, others are totally against it. It's a hot topic of political debate.

Tigerette

Post by Tigerette » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 am

Thanks all for comments and help!
The doctor recommended me to try a nasal mask instead and gave me me a N20. I have slept two night with it now and have slept really good! No leaks with this one! Seems like I don't need to seal my mouth nor use a chin strap either.

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:38 am

Good news! Glad you found a mask that works well for you & you discovered you don't need a chin strap.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.