More sinus congestion with more humidity?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jaime4

More sinus congestion with more humidity?

Post by Jaime4 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:35 am

I have something weird going on since I started CPAP therapy 5 months ago. First, I sleep through the night, which is kinda cool. But second, I've been having sinus pressure throughout the day after. So I started using a saline nasal spray to try and clear things out, which would help for only a few minutes. And then I added Flonase to the mix, which helped a tiny bit more (I could at least breathe a little through my nose - like breathing through coffee straws - but the sinus pressure was still there).

I was told to turn up the humidifier setting on my machine (a Resmed Airsense 10 Auto). I already had it at 4 (half way), so I slowly increased it night after night... which made things horribly worse. Eventually I got up to max humidity (level 8 ), and I couldn't even make it through the night without my nose being completely blocked.

So, I tried the opposite. I turned the humidity DOWN to level 2. I can now make it through the night again, and generally wake up with one nostril able to freely breathe. Though the sinus pressure is still happening during the day.

What else can I try? The pressure and headaches during the day are starting to become antithetical to better sleep.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Pugsy

Re: More sinus congestion with more humidity?

Post by Pugsy » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:41 am

Some people actually do better with much less humidity or even no added moisture.
Nasal mucosa in people are just funny that way. They like what they like.
I know households where both husband and wife are on cpap and one likes the maximum humidity and the other does better with really low or even no added moisture. While most people do seem to like more....there are people whose nasal mucosa like less.

When the nasal mucosa are unhappy with something they react in a way that is very similar to an allergy attack. They swell up, get congested, lots of drainage, itchiness, sneezing, sinus pressure, etc.

Reduce the humidity setting even more...consider maybe just having water in the chamber and no heat...this is called passover humidity.
Minimal humidity. Some people even prefer no water and you can do that simply by not adding water and turning off the humidifier heat to chamber.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Violet West

Post by Violet West » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:53 am

maybe an allergy pill would help? Like Singulair/montelukast. I take it for asthma/allergies. I also blow my nose right before putting my mask on. :)

kteague

Post by kteague » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 pm

Too much humidity turns me into a snot factory, but need a little bit to keep the passages from getting painfully dry. Hope you find your balance soon. What kind of mask are you using? If it a nasal pillows style mask this will be irrelevant, but if it is one that sits across the nose, make sure the mask pressure against the sides of your nose isn't complicit in your "congestion". You mention it's like breathing through straws but never used the word drainage is what made me think to ask.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:23 pm

kteague wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:00 pm
Too much humidity turns me into a snot factory, but need a little bit to keep the passages from getting painfully dry. Hope you find your balance soon. What kind of mask are you using? If it a nasal pillows style mask this will be irrelevant, but if it is one that sits across the nose, make sure the mask pressure against the sides of your nose isn't complicit in your "congestion". You mention it's like breathing through straws but never used the word drainage is what made me think to ask.
Good catch!
I am unable to wear many full face/nasal masks because I get swelling
from the slightest pressure on the sides of my nose.
Even though I take a nightly antihistamine, I have to blow my nose in the morning.
Otherwise, I am likely to sneeze into my oatmeal.

Sleepless-n-Ohio

Post by Sleepless-n-Ohio » Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:40 pm

AM I EVER THANKFUL I FOUND THIS POST.
(First my appologies for this lengthy post.)
I have the exact same problem as you, If I did not know better I would have thought I wrote your post.
Actually, I have been so miserable I have been in search of a cold air bi-pap machine because I am suffocating from the warm air. Sadly, they don't make a cool air machine.. Lol
I have a full face mask- the Resperonic F20. I have been so stuffed up and miserable ever since I became "bed partners" with a hose connected to 'hot air machine' aka bi-pap machine (that I desperately despise). Yes, our relationship is a permanent one since I have central apnea. I have been on search for help to get relief from a stuffed up nose since this past July. Out of desperation I got a hybrid mask (Resperonic F30). It is a cross between nasal mask and a full face mask. I loved it, but it didn't help. Like you I felt like I was breathing through a straw. By the way, great analogy. It all comes down to the air. I turn the humidity off, then I get a super dry nose, if add heat for humidiy then my sinuses close up. My husband is a c-pap user. He has a fond and loving relationship with his c-pap. He actually implied to me it was in my head that no one else has these issues. (That is another reason I am thankful to have found your post.)
I had a not so kind response to his comment.

The only way I get any relief is by using pepperment essential oil, wow that really opens me up. Just by putting a small drop on my tongue roof of my mouth it works but for a short time. I take an allergy pill now, and I keep my distilled water in the refridgerator. I once put a small ice cube in the water resavoir..AWE REFRESHING it was like the arctic air, I could breath opened me up, however i am not sure its good for the lungs. In addition, I was afraid the ice would somehow burn up my machine so I stick to cold water from the 'fridge'. On top of all that, I have to take a half a sleeping pill just enough to knock myself out on nights I am really stuffed up.
Final thought:
I have Central sleep apnea. My brain forgets to tell me to breathe at night, which is less common than obstructive sleep apnea. Central apnea is the reason I now look like Darth Vador at night. The machine is suppose to help me breath better, resulting in better sleep. Since getting my new bed partner I have yet to have a peaceful night sleep, with exception of nights a sleeping pill is involved.
I am totally frustrated and beside myself because I can't keep living like this, unable to breath.
If you find anything that helps you, please let me know.

By the way....
I hope someone invents a cold air machine for us unique people.

Sweet Dreams
Monica

Jaime4

Post by Jaime4 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:55 am

Monica, I was just coming here to say thanks to everyone when I saw your post. I feel your pain. I would run up and down the stairs to get my nose and sinuses to clear out, and it would only give me about 5 minutes of relief.

To report back to Pugsy (thank you!), I've turned my humidity completely off and fill the reservoir with water for some kind of passive humidification. I wake up feeling a bit dried out, but the sinus pressure is a lot less during the day. Using a saline nasal rinse once or twice seems to clear me out and alleviates the headaches.

I think Monica hit the nail on the head when she mentioned it's more about the heat than the moisture. I may have to try the ice cube or refrigerated water thing. I'm surprised these fancy machine manufacturers haven't made one with an ultrasonic humidification option.

Thank you everyone! I'll come back and let you know if I figure out a better solution, but for now, I'm at least doing better.