Suggest best replacement ASV

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Mr Bill

Suggest best replacement ASV

Post by Mr Bill » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:03 pm

Hey All,

I've had such a hard time getting the system to let me log on! I've wanted to check up on y'all and see how you were doing for quite a long time but the system kept kicking me out with invalid log in notifications. I have not forgotten how much y'all helped me in the early months of getting used to my ASV. I've passed that on whenever I've met someone else who needed one or had just gotten one. My sister has one now! And I've gotten married and my wife has one. :lol:

Now I have an actual question. I got my Respironics BIPAPautoSV advanced just after thanksgiving 2009. As of last week, I had logged 19,996 hours and during the thanks giving week I surely went beyond but it just displays 19,999 hours. I've been thinking its time to get a new one for quite a while.

(1) How long can one of these last? It is quite a bit louder than it used to be and also it seems "weaker".

(2) What would be the best new model I should get?

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

Pugsy

Re: Suggest best replacement ASV

Post by Pugsy » Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:45 pm

Probably getting time for a new machine...sounds like yours is getting a bit tired. I wouldn't dally around waiting for it to just up and die though. I would start the process now. Murphy's Law says if/when it just up and dies it will likely be on a long weekend and DME will be closed and they probably won't have a replacement on the shelves anyway.

The latest and same model in the Respironics line now would be the DreamStation ASV.

If looking at changing brands...the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV is the comparable model.

Since you are used to the Respironics way of delivering therapy....not sure I would recommend switching brands unless your supplier will let you trial a ResMed to see if you like it. Some people can switch brands and it not be an issue at all but others simply don't like the change in how the other brand goes about doing its job. Since we don't know which way you might be...better to play it safe.

Those are really the only two brands that have ASV machines that I know of or would even consider.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Kiralynx

Post by Kiralynx » Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:05 pm

I got my first ASV a little before you got yours.

I have used both the System One 960 and the newer Dream Station ASV.

I like both, although I think I like the Dream Station better.

I second Pugsy's comment of get the process going now. Most DMEs will not have a rental if yours craters, and you do NOT want to have to go through the process when you are sleep deprived!

Beastie, 2008-10-28. NEW Beastie, PRS1 960, 2014-05-14. NEWER Beastie, Dream Station ASV, 2017-10-17. PadaCheek Hosecover. Homemade Brandy Keg Chin Support. TapPap Mask.
Min PS = 4, Max PS = 8
Epap Range = 6 - 7.5

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:43 am

I talked to the technician when I was dropping off a family member for a sleep study. He said my mode was an absolute tank but would eventually stop. I put the process in motion. They say I have to do a complete new sleep study. That seems like a waste of time and more importantly money. But they won't give me a prescription unless I get one. One thing I learned here, the local VA gets charged $600 for a sleep study. But my last two sleep studys were $2700. The profit margin is pretty hefty.

90% EPAP=7.0, Avg PS=4.0, Avg bpm 18.3, Avg Min vent 9.2 Lpm, Avg CA/OA/H/AHI = 0.1/0.1/2.1/2.3 ... updated 02/17/12

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:16 pm

My first ASV was the Philips Respironics 960T, I had a very difficult time adjusting to that device. I am so grateful that Kaiser allowed me to change to the ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV - I sleep way better with it and my average AHI is much better with it as well
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Fri Mar 27, 2020 3:01 pm

My new unit is ordered and should be on the way soon. :D This is good news since I think I have about 19,600 hours on my current unit and it feels rather anemic in its air delivery. I put it to my doctor that it hardly seemed that I would need an expensive sleep study since central sleep apnea probably does not go away. I told him I was prepared to buy the Philips Respironics DreamStation BiPAP AutoSV Machine w/ Heated Humidifier directly from CPAP.com and he said he would provide the RX when they call him. Got it for $2890. I'll be bugging you later after it arrives if its not obvious how to set it up. Hopefully it will come with a manual and not rely on secret access by medical provider.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:41 pm

If it doesn't come with a manual you can request one here via email...or go ahead now and read up. Several new features to it from what you old machine has.

https://www.apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap- ... tup-manual

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Mr Bill

Post by Mr Bill » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:36 pm

It came with a manual in which it cautions the provider to not pass on to the patient. The machine was super easy to set up. I decided to try it on auto optimization and it worked right away. I have always put my mask on before starting my machine. I was surprised to find out it starts up when you take a breath before I could press the on switch. In a few days, I will see if the Repsironics reporting software can talk with the SD card that stores the daily data.