Why the hell would I use a humidifier.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Guinges

Why the hell would I use a humidifier.

Post by Guinges » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:07 pm

The following is a replacement of the original post that wasn't received well (my fault).

1) I started the thread mostly because I couldn’t understand why humidification should be necessary based on a modest scientific understanding of human anatomy, physiology, physics etc. My argument was that CPAP doesn’t dry out the air we breathe or increase the amount of air we breathe and so it shouldn’t be necessary.

2) I took that argument a step further and suggested (for the sake of argument) that we were all being duped, and that humidification shouldn’t in theory (my theory) be necessary.

3) Thirdly, I was experiencing an unpleasant smell in my tube that I couldn’t eradicate. I stopped using humidification and changed the tube and am now enjoying cool fresh air that is like “breathing morning air”. With my modest knowledge of bacteriology and mycology I couldn’t understand why I had been following convention and breathing air that passed over a heated tank of water and through a heated moist tube and was suffering the (in my case) smelly, stuffy consequences.

From the information in this thread and from thinking further and doing some more research I have come up with the following theories and observations:

I) It is clear from this thread that a lot of people do need humidification to prevent dry nose and mouth and other symptoms and are not being duped. I would add, however, that some people may be using it when they don’t need it. A few people on the thread reported that they didn’t use humidification.

II) My theory is that with a nasal mask, mouth leaks are common. A mouth leak will increase the flow of air through the nose and mouth leading to dryness of both. The people who find they need humidification with a nasal mask may be experiencing a degree of mouth leakage. A person using a full-face mask who is often mouth breathing will get a dry mouth just like someone who mouth breathes without using CPAP does. The mouth isn’t really designed for breathing like the nose is. Someone commented that some people require humidification and yet have flat leak rates. It may be that these people, have other nasal conditions such as chronic rhinitis (very common), Sjogren's syndrome (much less common) and that nasal humidification is helping them significantly. These people would benefit regardless of whether they had sleep apnoea or not.

III) Regarding bacteria, fungi and resulting smells. I have learnt from this thread that many people manage their humidification system well and have not encountered issues.

Thank you.
Last edited by Guinges on Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:33 am, edited 8 times in total.

Raticate

Re: Why the hell would you use a humidifier on your CPAP

Post by Raticate » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:16 pm

I hate the humidifier. The first thing I do is remove it and split it and just use the bipap

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:17 pm

Thank God the rest of the medical profession doesn't adhere to your line if thinking.

You are of course entitled to your opinion on just about anything in life.

Ever hear of cpap rhinitis?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:29 pm

Guinges wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:07 pm
Excuse my rudeness but!!!!!!!!!
I hope I am reasonably educated in bacteriology, physics, medicine, respirology etc as I am a GP.
Ah, a shambling moron that thinks they know everything... right.
Guinges wrote:
Why would you pass the air you breath through a heated bacterial culture/cesspool
Do go on spewing your ignorance.
Guinges wrote:
The CPAP machine doesn't dry out the air that you breath.
Too bad that medical school didn't teach you the difference in 'breath' (noun) and breathe (verb).
Guinges wrote:
It is just passing through a fan of sorts that is increasing your pressure.
Idiots posting stupidity are what increases my 'pressure'
Guinges wrote:
You are breathing room air in the normal amounts and at the normal rate.
At least you didn't that we are 'breathing'...
Guinges wrote:
and now I'm smartening up.
No evidence of that.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Becca8104

Post by Becca8104 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:55 pm

Yikes! I went without my humidifier once & regretted it. Slightly bloody nose the next morning. My humidifier keeps my sinuses moist and therapy comfortable.
“We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. ” —Aristotle.

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:03 pm

Guinges wrote:
your rudeness yes, your ignorance, no.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

jimbud

Post by jimbud » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:09 pm

Wow!

Is this Full Moon Friday?
The weirdos are out in force today. :lol:

JPB

Raticate

Post by Raticate » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 pm

Guinges is right though. I can relate !

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 pm

Humidity needs vary widely among individuals.
There is no right or wrong...there's just what a person happens to need for their own individual self.

If OP doesn't want to use a humidifier...hey, that's fine and dandy but most people will need or want some added moisture and there's nothing wrong with adding it. How much depends on the individual.

There is a medical reason that most prescriptions for CPAP will include a heated humidifier as part of the standard RX.

One man's treasure is another man's trash.

Just because one person wants to come here and spout his personal preferences doesn't make it the gospel that works for everyone.
It works for a few....big deal.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:38 pm

Raticate wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:25 pm
Guinges is right though. I can relate !
I ran that through google translate:
Raticate wrote:Guinges is stupid, and I shouldn't be able to post where there are adults

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

MurrayNevada

Post by MurrayNevada » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Guinges does not sound like a medical professional. And if he or she is a GP I'm glad they're not mine.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:13 pm

MurrayNevada wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:03 pm
Guinges does not sound like a medical professional. And if he or she is a GP I'm glad they're not mine.
Certainly nothing "professional".

tlohse

Post by tlohse » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Humidifier is a standard with most cpap these days. You don’t have to use it but it does help make the air
Better. Expecilly in fall and winter when the air in the house can be dry.
Thomas Lohse
Machine: ResMed AirSense 10 Auto Set With Heated hose and Humidifier
Mask: ResMed AirFit P10 Size M Nasal Pillow with headgear
Mask: ResMed AirFit N30i/P30i
Original Mask: ResMed Mirage FX Nasal
CPAP USER SINCE JUNE 2013

Fetou

Post by Fetou » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:51 pm

tlohse wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:36 pm
Humidifier is a standard with most cpap these days. You don’t have to use it but it does help make the air
Better. Expecilly in fall and winter when the air in the house can be dry.
This. I use it when the windows are closed and the heat is on, and I stop using it when spring arrives.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Guinges wrote:
I hope I am reasonably educated in bacteriology, physics, medicine, respirology etc as I am a GP.

No, you're an idiot!

Why would you pass the air you breath through a heated bacterial culture/cesspool

I underestimated you........you're an even bigger IDIOT than I first thought!

The CPAP machine doesn't dry out the air that you breath. It is just passing through a fan of sorts that is increasing your pressure.
You are breathing room air in the normal amounts and at the normal rate.
Are you all suckers, buying into an extra bit of technology that is making your CPAP a cut above the rest?..Extra special! I think so.
I bought it too, for several years, and now I'm smartening up. I put aside the humidifier, half of that bulky machine, and changed the stinky bacteria infested tube and I am now enjoying cool fresh air "morning air", and of course my nose doesn't dry out like a prune. The machine is not drying out the air I breathe, it is simply delivering normal room air at a slightly higher pressure....and I love it! It is so cool and fresh and no longer stinks like a hot sewer. Throw away the heated tube too.
Also you can't beat a P10 :) I tried a lot of fancy gizmos and that's the one.

Your condescension isn't going to win you any friends on this forum! If you live in Florida, you might get away without using the humidifier, but if you live in the high, arid, mountain West where the relative humnidity is barely into the low double digits, it can be pretty rough breathing that dry air all night. And, you don't have to use HEATED humidity to breathe comfortably.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05