Nervous about swapping to Resmed from Philips

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
MBix

Nervous about swapping to Resmed from Philips

Post by MBix » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 pm

Bit of a long story shortish, I started on my journey in December last year and trialled an Auto Dreamstation for about 8 weeks and really found a nice balance after finding out my AHI was averaging 141 during my sleep study. Cut to last week I was given my "forever" machine by the clinic, and it was also a Dreamstation, this time just the CPAP version. Unfortunately it seemed to struggle when inhaling and the machine would make some rather loud annoying sounds (https://youtu.be/LqtfU68WRfE) Further inspection it turns out the machine was second hand, and the previous user had to have been a smoker as it smelled like an ash tray. I tried everything, the silicon seals in the humidifier seemed to be the issue, after soaking them in everything they became semi clear again and not smelling like cigs. Sadly the smell was embedded deep within the main component of the machine.

Placed a call this morning and thankfully they've agreed to replace the machine on Wednesday, however this time they've said it will be a Resmed machine (have not been given model number as yet) I'm a extremely nervous about a couple things:

1: Going a couple nights without a machine. I really cannot cope with the cigarette smell being blown into my nose and mouth, but last night discovered I really struggle to fall asleep without the machine now.

2: Changing brands from Philips to Resmed. I've looked up many threads, but really wanted to see if there were others that went from Philips to Resmed and hopefully alleviate my fears. Obviously I don't have a Resmed model number just yet, but any help or personal success would be great to read.

Julie

Re: Nervous about swapping to Resmed from Philips

Post by Julie » Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:58 pm

I switched yrs ago... there also were noises (air puffs) that while I know were legitimate for measuring something, I did not like them and luckily was able to do the change without losing any money. More people like Resmed than otherwise.

The IP machine in my sig. line is not wrong... I do use that as well, but also an older Resmed machine.
Last edited by Julie on Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joshkins

Post by Joshkins » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 pm

Just switched from the Dreamstation auto to Airsense10 AutoSet about a week ago. My experience has been nothing but positive. I had been using Philips machines since 2014. With the Dreamstation auto my settings were 12-20 and the pressure would always go walking throughout the night to about 18. My Airsense10 Autoset my settings are 10-20 but the pressure has not raised over 11.8. I just find the Resmed more peaceful to sleep under than the Philips.

SleepyPaolo

Post by SleepyPaolo » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm

Ewwww, gross. Second hand machine from a smoker? That clinic ought to be ashamed of themselves.
1. Surely the clinic can give you a loaner machine?
2. I've used both Dreamstation and Resmed. The Resmed can do everything the Dreamstation can, but the opposite is not true, so most people prefer the Resmed. The Resmed's auto setting algorithm seems to be superior too.

MBix

Post by MBix » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:27 pm

SleepyPaolo wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 pm
Ewwww, gross. Second hand machine from a smoker? That clinic ought to be ashamed of themselves.
To be fair they're government funded here in Aus and I was lucky enough to get it heavily subsidised, so sometimes they provide second hand machines. But I do agree they should have known better in cases like this and realised the machine wasn't fit for it's purpose. They've said they will try provide brand new machines as much as possible, so I'm hoping the Resmed is brand new, but I will test it while there this time to cover all bases. Unsure if it will be an Auto or just Fixed Pressure machine, if Resmed have these options? I'm happy enough having it fixed as with the original Dreamstation with Auto set to 16-20 it would sit around 19-20 over night anyway. As for a machine for the next few nights, sadly they're 90 mins travel each way and as they're in the Public Health System their next available appointment is on Wednesday.

Really happy to hear there are people who have made the switch and happy. I suppose there will be people out there in the opposite camp too as everyone is different, but really needed something to help my fears.

Thanks for the replies!

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:24 pm

Joshkins wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:05 pm
Just switched from the Dreamstation auto to Airsense10 AutoSet about a week ago. My experience has been nothing but positive. I had been using Philips machines since 2014. With the Dreamstation auto my settings were 12-20 and the pressure would always go walking throughout the night to about 18. My Airsense10 Autoset my settings are 10-20 but the pressure has not raised over 11.8. I just find the Resmed more peaceful to sleep under than the Philips.
Occasional forum visitor Capt Midnight here, and it's so interesting what you observe.

I just replaced my Airsense 10 Autoset with a Dreamstation auto, and my results are remarkable.

With the Autoset, leaks were a constant problem, and AHI was up 2x. (I use the same mask and setup) So far ( a little over a month) I'm averaging one fewer wake up per evening.

Every apnea patient is different, and the algorithms from one company will serve some better than others. Glad the Resmed is an improvement for you. Mine is now relegated to backup to my backup machine.

Abbey sleeps

Post by Abbey sleeps » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 am

I had a Dreamstation for the first 3 weeks on CPAP. I had such a hard time adjusting as it made me feel like I had to adjust my breathing to the machine rather than vice versa. I found it much easier to adjust to the Resmed machine. Having said that, the first weeks were definitely difficult but got easier month after month and after finding a mask I liked. Good luck to you.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:57 am

MBix wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:43 pm
2: Changing brands from Philips to Resmed. I've looked up many threads, but really wanted to see if there were others that went from Philips to Resmed and hopefully alleviate my fears. Obviously I don't have a Resmed model number just yet, but any help or personal success would be great to read.
Last time I switched from a Resmed to a Philips, I really didn't like it, and promptly sold it and got a Resmed S9 VPAP Auto.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Julie

Post by Julie » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:44 am

Do you have no choice re plain cpap vs auto (which can do plain, but the plain can't do auto)? You'd want the option if at all possible.

beautifuldreamer

Post by beautifuldreamer » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 am

I am so happy that my medical allowed me to switch from Respironics to ResMed - for me, it is much quieter and so much easier to sleep with . . .
Machine: ResMed AirSense 11 Autoset
Mask: Bleep

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:11 am

I was titrated on a Philips machine and hated it because it always seemed to want to cut my exhalations short. By contrast, my "keeper" ResMed machine follows my breathing beautifully.

I hope you can get the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset for Her. Failing that, the ResMed Airsense 10 Autoset. The "for Her" has some additional options in the settings but can also do everything the plain Autoset does.

I strongly recommend that you push for an Autoset. You may need less pressure with the ResMed machine -- at least that is true for some people -- and having the ability to set a range could make for a more restful night.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

SleepyPaolo

Post by SleepyPaolo » Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm

Captain_Midnight wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:24 pm
Joshkins wrote:
With the Autoset, leaks were a constant problem, and AHI was up 2x. (I use the same mask and setup) So far ( a little over a month) I'm averaging one fewer wake up per evening.

Every apnea patient is different, and the algorithms from one company will serve some better than others. Glad the Resmed is an improvement for you. Mine is now relegated to backup to my backup machine.

That’s a function of mask fit, nothing to do with the machine unless the machine itself is leaking.

Captain_Midnight

Post by Captain_Midnight » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:58 pm

SleepyPaolo wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 pm
Captain_Midnight wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:24 pm
Joshkins wrote:

That’s a function of mask fit, nothing to do with the machine unless the machine itself is leaking.
Same mask, same set up. My observation is that the Autoset has a more aggressive algorithm when it comes to nuking events, and kept continually adjusting my pressures toward the upper range. The nightly graphs confirm this.

More frequent wakeups, and with higher pressures to separate the mask seal from me with the Autoset.

I don't own stock in either company, so my observations are unbiased. That so many here prefer the Autoset is fine w me.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:14 pm

Abbey sleeps wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 12:49 am
I had a Dreamstation for the first 3 weeks on CPAP. I had such a hard time adjusting as it made me feel like I had to adjust my breathing to the machine rather than vice versa. I found it much easier to adjust to the Resmed machine. Having said that, the first weeks were definitely difficult but got easier month after month and after finding a mask I liked. Good luck to you.
This. I had a PRS1 for 6 years and I always felt it was trying to make me breathe in it's rhythm rather than my own. I was concerned the first night when I got my new ResMed Autoset that I would have to "get used" to the new algorithm, but it was WONDERFUL. It feels so smooth in comparison. It does not feel like I have to adjust my breathing rhythm to it. and my AHI's are usually 0.2 or less (they weren't much higher on the PRS1, but sometimes up to 0.5). The ResMed is quieter and the air is less cold coming from the mask vents, even without the heat turned up on the humidifier. (I don't use a heated hose).
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Feb 03, 2020 6:32 pm

My first machine was a straight cpap (S9 Elite)
Compared to that, the Autoset was HEAVENLY.
You want/NEED that when you are trying to get some sleep.