Frequent Night time urination.....UPDATE!!!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
keroseneburner

Re: Frequent Night time urination.....and apnea

Post by keroseneburner » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:53 am

We tried all of the standard prostate precsciption meds with no effect. The next step with urology is VERY invasive and uncomfortable
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:56 am

Julie wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:39 am
But at his age, I'd just as soon go with a prostate issue and want to see the urologist again (or find a new one).
keroseneburner wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:29 am
other than the various urology meds he tried. None helped at all. Now they are wanting to do a fairly unpleasant bladder testing series....which is why I thought about apnea.
Given a choice between a fairly unpleasant bladder testing thing and meds that already have proven they didn't work....I would definitely at least give cpap a try.

Those bladder testings....they aren't pleasant at all.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

SDBud

Post by SDBud » Tue Mar 31, 2020 6:52 am

keroseneburner wrote:
Thu Feb 20, 2020 2:55 pm
Been a while since I posted here....Pugsy and crew got me squared away years ago, my Ahi’s run in the .3-.5 range....lost 60lbs, all is well. My father has been having issues waking up 6+time a night to urinate...by the end of the night it amounts to about 2 quarts. We took him to the urologist who tried several medications...none worked. I know apnea can cause similar symptoms...he is 80, tall, very thin, and has a long neck.....certainly fits an apnea profile. Does the frequent urination if about a cup 6+ times a night sound like it could be apnea related?

Thanks in advance
I had radiation for Prostate cancer, with the common BPH involved.

Was put on Tamsulosin (Flomax). 1 capsule wasn't helping, so they doubled the dosage.
I was told to take it late in the day, but found it caused increased need to go for the first 3-4 hours,
so started taking it in the morning, and that has worked fine most of the time.
I may have to go once, maybe twice, a night, but many nights, not at all.
Airsense 10 Autoset
AirTouch and AirFit F10 masks
:roll:

nicholasjh1

Post by nicholasjh1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:51 am

i certainly had bad nocturia before cpap and almost none immediately after. first day it improved quite a bit... now i don't even have to go in the morning. point being if you have a spare set up you could have him try it at no cost.
Instead of Sleep apnea it should be called "Sleep deprivation, starving of oxygen, being poisoned by high CO2 levels, damaging the body and brain while it's supposed to be healing so that you constantly get worse and can never get healthy Apnea"

keroseneburner

Post by keroseneburner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am

So dad has had his auto for a week. Night time urination has been significantly reduced. He has a resmed S-10 with the resmed airfit F30 full face mask. He says he wakes up in the middle of the night when he is breathing though his mouth with large amounts of rushing air. He said when he breathes through his nose this large amount of rushing air is not there. I know they left the machine set from 4 to 20, his average is 12.7. The exhale relief is on...anything else I can adjust to help with this?
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:38 am

keroseneburner wrote:
Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:34 am
his average is 12.7.
Where are you getting this number? Off the machine or using the software available?

Really need to see a detailed report to offer anything but guesses.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

keroseneburner

Re: Frequent Night time urination.....UPDATE!!!

Post by keroseneburner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:37 am

Off the machine. He isn’t terribly computer savvy. I will try and get him setup with oscar and see if I can post some good numbers
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:46 am

The pressure number shown on the machine's LCD screen is what we call a 95% number.
It is a number where the pressure was at OR BELOW for 95% of the night. It is NOT an overall average number.
Now in OSCAR you can get a median average number which is usually different from the 95% numbers.
95% numbers are easily skewed upwards with relatively short periods of time at higher numbers. I take them with a grain of salt.

I can't offer any ideas on what to maybe do with only a 95% number available as a data point. It's pretty much useless.
I would need at least the AHI and event category breakdown along with leak numbers (which on the LCD screen are also 95% numbers) to offer anything beyond a WAG...wild ass guess. :lol:
Better yet of course...a real detailed report to review.

keroseneburner

Post by keroseneburner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:56 pm

I hope this is usable, it is a phone screenshot....the AHI were off the chart. His sleep study was 14.1ahi this shows 22.

This is his 4th night (I believe) on the pap. I don’t want him to get discouraged or aggravated and give up. Cpap saved my life (with Pugsy and others here being a large portion of getting it under control....thank you)
50E8DB07-2B80-475E-BE62-6395354DE47B.jpeg
50E8DB07-2B80-475E-BE62-6395354DE47B.jpeg (330.42 KiB) Viewed 534 times
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:19 pm

It looks to me like first he needs to get his leaks sorted as he spent 32% of the time in Large Leak and the large number of UA’s is due to the machine being unable to detect the type of Apnoeas due to the leaks.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:42 pm

He needs a new minimum pressure...probably around 10 cm...and he needs to fit his mask at the beginning of the night to that 10 cm minimum.
He's fitting it right now to the 4 cm and when the machine gets over 10 the seal simply won't stick.

If he can't handle 10 cm minimum....make use of the ramp feature.

keroseneburner

Post by keroseneburner » Tue Apr 14, 2020 1:58 pm

My first thoughts was the 4-20 was way too much swing. I used the mask fit feature and tightened his mask till it stopped leaking. I think it may have been pulled tighter since then as he says its real tight. Too tight can cause leaks as well.
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:02 pm

Either the mask has broke the seal at the higher pressures or it's moving around a lot if you fitted the mask at the higher pressures.
Either way...the leaks are bad and need to be worked on.

His AHI is too high...the machine needs to start out much higher...probably higher than 10 to prevent the airway collapses but 10 might be close enough so the machine can get to where he needs to be to prevent the collapses.

Probably a lot of that AHI is false positives if the leaks are waking him up any. With leaks that bad the sensors just run into trouble doing anything.

keroseneburner

Post by keroseneburner » Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Leaks are better, we changed masks.....AHI is still awful. He is really frustrated and I am trying to keep him focused on sticking to it
D04B4DB7-C04D-486A-8807-893804C8B8B7.jpeg
D04B4DB7-C04D-486A-8807-893804C8B8B7.jpeg (121.17 KiB) Viewed 430 times
s9 Autoset
humidifier
heated tube
amaraview mask

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu May 28, 2020 9:10 pm

keroseneburner wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:57 pm
Leaks are better, we changed masks.....AHI is still awful. He is really frustrated and I am trying to keep him focused on sticking to it
D04B4DB7-C04D-486A-8807-893804C8B8B7.jpeg
pls see pugsy's comment right above yours.

that minimum pressure needs to be increased to 10.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg