Aerophagia No More!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Midnight Strangler

Re: Aerophagia No More!

Post by Midnight Strangler » Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:53 pm

socknitster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm
I would like to mention that turmeric has an anti-inflammatory effect. Therefore over the course of taking this product, you may have healed whatever was causing the aerophagia to begin with (most likely inflammation from GERD making the sphincters and whatnot less sturdy for lack of a better way to describe their malfunctioning).
You could be right, but as pointed out by others above, Zonker says his aerophagia disappeared the first night he took it. If this is truly a cause and effect, something besides healing of sphincters is going on.

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:49 am

zonker wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:46 pm
socknitster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:19 pm

So just be happy that the aerophagia went away. And if it comes back, try the supplements again for a good amount of time. You may not need to be on them constantly. In fact, if you're prone to food allergies (as I am) you would not want to take it every day for months or years on end, but just as needed.

Hope that helps.
oh for sure. if i can attribute it to the supplement, however, i'd like to recommend it to others. but if it isn't the supplements and the aerophagia just went away, i'll be happy with that, believe me!

What pressure do you have your cpap set to?

I'm going to order these pills to see what happens, thanks for sharing.

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:59 am

SmallCityDave wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:49 am

prior to taking the Turmeric complex, my minimum pressure was 15.4 and max 20. after Turmeric, i worked up to 16.4.

since suspending the complex, i haven't fiddled with my minimum.

please do come back in and let me know what impact, if any, this has on you.
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 am

zonker wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:59 am
SmallCityDave wrote:

prior to taking the Turmeric complex, my minimum pressure was 15.4 and max 20. after Turmeric, i worked up to 16.4.

Oh my I thought I was high with the minimum at 8.8, what type of AHI readings are you getting?

I tried essential oils with Turmeric and black pepper but it's hard to know the dosage. It looks like CVS has the same stuff by a different brand (buy 1 get 1) I will pick some up today.

zonker

Post by zonker » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:50 am

SmallCityDave wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 am
zonker wrote:
SmallCityDave wrote:

Oh my I thought I was high with the minimum at 8.8, what type of AHI readings are you getting?

I tried essential oils with Turmeric and black pepper but it's hard to know the dosage. It looks like CVS has the same stuff by a different brand (buy 1 get 1) I will pick some up today.
ahi mostly below 1. if i sleep on my back, obstructives come in and push that up 1.50 - 2.00.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 am

zonker wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:50 am
SmallCityDave wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:42 am
zonker wrote:
SmallCityDave wrote:

ahi mostly below 1. if i sleep on my back, obstructives come in and push that up 1.50 - 2.00.
I'm cautiously optimistic but yesterday is the best my stomach has felt in the last week or two.

How are you holding up?

zonker

Post by zonker » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am

SmallCityDave wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:30 am

I'm cautiously optimistic but yesterday is the best my stomach has felt in the last week or two.

How are you holding up?
last night was my 6th night without it. no change. i had thought one morning it had returned, but i got up to pee and the moving around was enough to wake up my system and expel the gas. nothing like that since.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

SmallCityDave

Post by SmallCityDave » Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:15 am

zonker wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
SmallCityDave wrote:

How are you holding up?
last night was my 6th night without it. no change. i had thought one morning it had returned, but i got up to pee and the moving around was enough to wake up my system and expel the gas. nothing like that since.
5 nights.... so far so good. I turned the cpap up to 9.2 (as high as I've dared to go) and I feel great, next week I'll try 9.4 depending on the ahi. How are you holding up?

zonker

Post by zonker » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:34 am

SmallCityDave wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:15 am
zonker wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:50 am
SmallCityDave wrote:

How are you holding up?
5 nights.... so far so good. I turned the cpap up to 9.2 (as high as I've dared to go) and I feel great, next week I'll try 9.4 depending on the ahi. How are you holding up?
still doing good without the supplements. i haven't turned up my pressure since i stopped taking them, though.

i'm very pleased it's working for you!
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm

I thought this might be an appropriate place to put this observation:

I suffered from aerophagia even when NOT on cpap (especially when sleeping on my right side). I read something about neck position contributing to aerophagia. I naturally tend to sleep curled up with neck curved, face angled toward my chest. The article I read suggested sleeping with neck straight and face at a 90 degree angle or more. (things like this are so awkward to describe properly, aren't they?)

I bought a foam neck brace but haven't yet been able to bring myself to use it. I've just returned to cpap after more than a decade away from it and this already feels like a lot right now.

That said, I've made a concerted effort to NOT sleep curled up. To stretch out my neck. It feels completely unnatural but I am able to fall asleep that way and I've been waking up in this position and even remembering to return to this position when half asleep during normal arousals between sleep cycles.

I've been doing this for two weeks and haven't had a tummy full of air in the morning yet.

May be worth trying if you don't want to spend the money on the curcurmin/black pepper supplement. :)

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Socknitster, it's great you're back on cpap and already solved a problem!

If you ever do try the cervical collar and find it too warm, you could also try a "snore collar," like the Dr. Dakota. It's a little firmer and the back half is just a strap.

Good luck with your progress!
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:08 pm

socknitster wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:30 pm
That said, I've made a concerted effort to NOT sleep curled up. To stretch out my neck. It feels completely unnatural but I am able to fall asleep that way and I've been waking up in this position and even remembering to return to this position when half asleep during normal arousals between sleep cycles.
It would be interesting to know if your median pressure is less with your neck aligned with the rest of your spine.

socknitster

Post by socknitster » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:18 am

I keep checking the "professional menu" every day. It has never said anything but 11.1 for me.

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:55 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:25 pm
zonker wrote:
Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:26 pm
is this just a coincidence?
Discontinue the product for 30 days and see what happens. You can always restart at any time (or not).
it has now been thirty days without "the product". or as near as dammit, as we hoosiers say.

and i really had no ah-ha moment. this week, i've noticed an increase in heartburn. i had some difficulty in swallowing two days ago. at around ten days after i ceased, i had a nosebleed. that last is very rare for me. but i can't see the connection.

this morning, had aerophagia.

so i have no idea what to make of this. going to see if the aerophagia comes back tonight.

if it does, then i'll prolly go back on "the product" but with my dosage halved. i really don't like to think of this as a blood thinner. i don't want to do something that will wreck my health.

any who, thought i'd update this, even if i'm not ready to draw any concrete conclusions.
Oscar-Win
Oscar-Mac

Tweety

Post by Tweety » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:16 pm

Hi Zonker, I've been keeping an eye on this thread because I really struggle with aerophagia, and haven't been able to increase my IPAP by even 0.2 after a few months at the very low settings that finally gave me a little relief (EPAP 3.2, IPAP 7.0). After another discouraging try, I figured, WTH, and ordered some of the Turmeric curcumin. Eleven days after starting it, I'd say that my aerophagia hasn't exactly gone away, per se, but I might say it was less uncomfortable, particularly in my stomach. In addition to heartburn, I tend to get stomach pain at what feels to me like the pyloric (lower) sphincter--purely a guess, it could be somewhere lower in my gut. Both types of stomach pain seem to have disappeared (within a few days). Enough so that I increased the IPAP to 7.2 last night without incident. While one night doesn't make a trend, it's encouraging, no?

I've been taking the 1000mg dose for a week (except one morning when I had a migraine), and have been getting some blood sugar fluctuations which may or may not be the turmeric. Reports are that turmeric may decrease blood sugar in those with diabetes, which I don't have, but I am very sensitive to fluctuations in my blood sugar. So I'm planning to lower to 500mg tomorrow.

So, since you just reported back with your 30 day trial, I figured I'd add in my observations.

Nerdy nerd nerd.