Difficulty getting started

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Jas_williams

Re: Difficulty getting started

Post by Jas_williams » Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:26 pm

Con you turn off or reduce EPR your graphs look like periodic breathing to me an the Hypopnoeas may be central apnoea, I and hoping reducing epr makes you feel more comfortable.were you asleep whilst on the machine for that time

Atom

Post by Atom » Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:48 pm
Auto mode...minimum pressure 6 cm
maximum pressure 20
see what happens
It's a guess because there isn't really any asleep data to fall back on and guide us. Minimum will probably need to be adjust but gotta start somewhere.

Turn EPR off for now if you can handle it.
Starting at 6 cm should be fairly easy to handle with no exhale relief.

First priority....get you some actual sleep using the machine and mask because without sleep we have nothing to go on at all.
So...get some sleep first and worry about tweaking the settings once we have some real sleep data to evaluate. Can't tell a darn thing from awake data at all.
Your directions are not completely clear to me.
The machine has two modes: Autoset and CPAP- Which one do you mean for me to use. (Currently on CPAP)
I do not see where I adjust the maximum pressure, only the minimum, which is at 4.
There is a pressure setting, which is at 9; should that be 20?
I have turned off EPR.

zonker

Post by zonker » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:22 pm

Atom wrote:
Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:11 pm

Your directions are not completely clear to me.
The machine has two modes: Autoset and CPAP- Which one do you mean for me to use. (Currently on CPAP)
I do not see where I adjust the maximum pressure, only the minimum, which is at 4.
There is a pressure setting, which is at 9; should that be 20?
I have turned off EPR.

yes, that is exactly right. change the 4 to 6.

then change the 9 to 20.

and you want to be in autoset mode.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:17 am

Change your machine mode to Autoset. Then the additional settings will be availiable

Atom

Post by Atom » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:44 am

Started last night with the machine in autoset and the max pressure at 20. The high pressure was intolerable, so I took it off after about an hour.

Atom

Post by Atom » Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:41 pm

screenshot-20200416-182950.png
screenshot-20200416-182950.png (108.87 KiB) Viewed 14577 times
Nap 04.16.20.PNG
Nap 04.16.20.PNG (110.18 KiB) Viewed 14577 times
When the opportunity presents, I go to CPAP school during the day (a nap!). I started the nap with the pressure 18 which I could not tolerate, so I got up and lowered it to 15; this is still problematic, but I did finally fall very much asleep. I think the results are encouraging, both from the standpoint of the OSCAR charts and my O2 monitor. I did notice however that the pressure can overcome my ability to keep my mouth shut while sleeping, so air blows out my mouth and dries it out. It's also hard to keep the mask from leaking. I've lowered the pressure to 12, and will try again tonight to sleep with it.

Jas_williams

Post by Jas_williams » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:43 am

From your screen shot you did not have your machine in auto mode. It was still in CPAP mode I think... it seems you went to fixed pressure 20 no wonder it was intolerable

Atom

Post by Atom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 am

Jas_williams wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:43 am
From your screen shot you did not have your machine in auto mode. It was still in CPAP mode I think... it seems you went to fixed pressure 20 no wonder it was intolerable
I did put it in autoset and I thought the way the pressure just ramped up to max was strange based on my understanding of how it is supposed to work. I will have to double check the setting.

Atom

Post by Atom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am

Atom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 am
Jas_williams wrote:
I did put it in autoset and I thought the way the pressure just ramped up to max was strange based on my understanding of how it is supposed to work. I will have to double check the setting.
I just checked and it was back in CPAP mode. I may have set it incorrectly, or the provider may have changed the setting, which they can do remotely. I've put it back to autoset. I will check it again before I next use it. Thanks for the advice.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:07 am

When you check again to see if it is still in autoset mode or back to cpap.....if it is back to cpap mode the settings might be written into the SD card and will cause the machine to revert back to cpap mode and any changes you make won't stick.
So they can change it remotely and they can also write the changes using ResScan software to make it so you can't change things.

To test if it is the SD card that is involved....remove the SD card...make the change to auto mode...insert the SD card and in a few minutes check to see if it is still in auto mode or has reverted to cpap mode.
If it is back to cpap mode you can either erase that SD card or just use a new SD card. Any generic SD card will work....I am using one I got from Walmart because I either lost the first one or the dog ate it.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Dog Slobber

Post by Dog Slobber » Fri Apr 17, 2020 8:29 am

Atom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:53 am
Atom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 4:24 am
Jas_williams wrote:
I just checked and it was back in CPAP mode. I may have set it incorrectly, or the provider may have changed the setting, which they can do remotely. I've put it back to autoset. I will check it again before I next use it. Thanks for the advice.
Take a picture of the settings after you change them.

This way we'll know if you set them correctly and if they are being changed back remotely.

Atom

Post by Atom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:04 am

I turned the machine off, removed and replaced the card, and turned it back on, and it is still in autoset. I'll try using it later just to see if the autoset works.

Atom

Post by Atom » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:14 pm

I did get a chance to take a test nap this afternoon, and the machine is clearly now adjusting the pressure on the fly, so thanks for helping me getting that figured out.

DreamDiver

Post by DreamDiver » Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 pm

Atom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:14 pm
I did get a chance to take a test nap this afternoon, and the machine is clearly now adjusting the pressure on the fly, so thanks for helping me getting that figured out.
Looking forward to your next night's graphs!

Most members of this forum are wonderful.
However, if you are the target of bullying on this forum, please consider these excellent alternative forums:
Apnea Board
Sleep Apnea Talk Forum
Free CPAP Advice

Be well,
Chris

zonker

Post by zonker » Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:52 pm

DreamDiver wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:10 pm
Atom wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:14 pm
Looking forward to your next night's graphs!

to the op: please forgive this slight intrusion.

dreamdiver? i LOVE your gifs!!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg