Difficulty getting started

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Atom

Difficulty getting started

Post by Atom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:31 am

I just got a CPAP machine a couple weeks ago (ResMed Airsense 10). For the past year or so I have been using a Lookee sleep ring to monitor my nighttime O2. Using it, I have learned that sleeping on my side (with no CPAP) tends to reduce snoring and O2 dips. I wore this the night I did my sleep test at the hospital so I have a basis for knowing that it works. During the sleep study, after 3 hours, they put me on a CPAP (full nose and mouth mask). My data was much better after the CPAP was on, and I was able to sleep, but it was uncomfortable. During the study, I purposefully slept on my back, because I knew that this would prove I needed a CPAP, which was where I was trying to get to.

One question I have, is how do you know your CPAP is working if you don't monitor your O2? My apnea is not severe, so I do not have symptom like fatigue or sleepiness during the day. I sleep about six hours a night and when I get up I feel rested, but I know my O2 dips at night which is to be avoided, and my condition could worsen (I am 72).

I have been using the CPAP intermittently. I've never been able to sleep with it on for more than a couple of hours. I am using the mask I got at the hospital, but I have tried the others that came with the Airsense 10. Because my mouth comes open when I sleep, I feel I need the full mouth and nose mask. However, when I have used the CPAP, I still have O2 dips. The Lookee sleep ring has an alarm to wake me when it dips below 80, and after wearing it I can upload the data to my phone and see a chart of my pulse and O2 sat over the night.

Since I wasn't seeing the results I wanted I thought I might need a chin strap to make sure my mouth was not coming open. I'm still experimenting with that.

However, my biggest problem is difficulty of getting to sleep with the CPAP. I have this sense of suffocation and claustrophobia with it on. Last night I laid there for an hour and could not get to sleep, so I finally took it off. Do you get over this? Any suggests on how to train yourself to sleep comfortably with a CPAP?

Pugsy

Re: Difficulty getting started

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:08 am

So....exactly which model AirSense 10 machine....there are 4 models.

Exactly which mask are you trying to use.

Exactly what are all the settings you are using...starting pressure, ramp, exhale relief, etc.
Don't know...the manual explains how to figure it out.
https://www.respshop.com/manuals/ResMed ... %20her.pdf

What you are describing happens fairly often but we need a starting point knowing more details to be able to offer ideas to help you sort through it.

If when you figure out the exact model....if it is the Elite, AutoSet or AutoSet for Her
download this software
OSCAR https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... stallation
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph ... rpretation

If it the plain "Airsense 10 CPAP" model we have a different discussion.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Atom

Post by Atom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:25 am

I have the Airsense 10 Autoset.
The mask I am trying to use (the one I got from the sleep study): F&P Simplus
The mask that came with the CPAP: ResMed AirFit N20
The mask Apria sent me: Phillips Respironics Dreamwear (various sizes)

The ramp time is set to off.
The pressure setting is now 8; it came and 9, and I have tried various settings.
Last edited by Atom on Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:29 am

Which DreamWear....full face or nasal?

What are your settings?
Is your ramp on or off?

Which mask do you prefer just from a comfort aspect?
Do you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am

Download OSCAR...

follow the directions in this thread and and post a recent night that you actually were able to go to sleep with the mask on...even if it is a short night. Laying awake for an hour with no sleep isn't helpful....need some sleep time even if short for best chance of offering ideas.

viewtopic/t158560/How-to-post-images-for-review.html

Atom

Post by Atom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:32 am

Pugsy wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:29 am
Which DreamWear....full face or nasal?

What are your settings?
Is your ramp on or off?

Which mask do you prefer just from a comfort aspect?
Do you normally breathe through your nose just fine during the day?
I do not have trouble breathing through my nose and I think this is how I normally breathe when I'm awake. I would like to breathe only through my nose while sleeping.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:12 am

Hello, Atom. To use OSCAR, you will need an SD card in the slot on the left side of your machine; if there isn't one there, go ahead and get one. You will also need a laptop or desktop; do you have one? And you'll need a way to read the SD card; if your computer doesn't have a card reader built in, you can buy one and plug it in. When you have all the pieces in place, let us know if you hit any snags downloading Oscar and importing your data from the SD card.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to suggest that you set the machine up during the day somewhere outside your bedroom, mask up, turn the machine on, and watch TV or read or do something else distracting and pleasant. This can be a really effective way to speed up the process of adapting to the weirdness of it all, and it may reduce your feelings of claustrophobia.

My own recommendation, though others may disagree, is not to worry about night-time use for a little while, maybe a week, while diligently using the machine for several hours every day as described above.

By then, I hope you'll be able to post some screen-shots of your daily charts from Oscar so the experts can see whether some adjustments in your settings might help you when you re-start some night-time use.

Oh, one small chore: could you put your machine make and model, plus your mask info, into your profile? That will make it easy for everyone to see what you're using without scrolling back through the thread.
Oscar software is available at https://www.sleepfiles.com/OSCAR/

Atom

Post by Atom » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:09 pm

Miss Emerita wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:12 am
Hello, Atom. To use OSCAR, you will need an SD card in the slot on the left side of your machine; if there isn't one there, go ahead and get one. You will also need a laptop or desktop; do you have one? And you'll need a way to read the SD card; if your computer doesn't have a card reader built in, you can buy one and plug it in. When you have all the pieces in place, let us know if you hit any snags downloading Oscar and importing your data from the SD card.

In the meanwhile, I'd like to suggest that you set the machine up during the day somewhere outside your bedroom, mask up, turn the machine on, and watch TV or read or do something else distracting and pleasant. This can be a really effective way to speed up the process of adapting to the weirdness of it all, and it may reduce your feelings of claustrophobia.

My own recommendation, though others may disagree, is not to worry about night-time use for a little while, maybe a week, while diligently using the machine for several hours every day as described above.

By then, I hope you'll be able to post some screen-shots of your daily charts from Oscar so the experts can see whether some adjustments in your settings might help you when you re-start some night-time use.

Oh, one small chore: could you put your machine make and model, plus your mask info, into your profile? That will make it easy for everyone to see what you're using without scrolling back through the thread.
I like your idea, so thanks. I'll be doing as you suggest. I have downloaded and installed OSCAR to my desktop and pulled in the data from the SD card. In due time I will post some charts.

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm

Oh, well done with Oscar and your profile! I hope the period of daytime adaptation will work well for you. Once you have even a hour or two of night-time sleep clocked, go ahead and post a daily chart so the experts can take a look.

Atom

Post by Atom » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm

I tried to post just now with an imgur image link and get an access denied. What's that about?

zonker

Post by zonker » Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:44 pm

Atom wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:51 pm
I tried to post just now with an imgur image link and get an access denied. What's that about?
you can post directly here. see below when you post? it'll show the tabs "save draft" then "preview" then "submit". below that are the tabs "options" and "attachments".

choose attachments then follow the directions.

you can only post three images in one post.

good luck!
people say i'm self absorbed.
but that's enough about them.
Oscar-Win
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1-Win64.exe
Oscar-Mac
https://www.apneaboard.com/OSCAR/OSCAR-1.5.1.dmg

Atom

Post by Atom » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:31 pm

Sleep 04.06.20.PNG
Sleep 04.06.20.PNG (111.62 KiB) Viewed 17439 times
This is what is troubling me (besides just getting used to it). I had the CPAP on until the red line, so it was on from about 9 pm until midnight. This is from my recording pulse oximeter, which I mentioned earlier. You can see that my sleep (as far as O2 sat is concerned) was actually better without the CPAP. Some of this is due to my having slept on my back with the CPAP, but when that came off, I sleep on my side, as much as I can control it. I'd like to see better results.

I had a consult with the CPAP provider (Apria) yesterday. They are monitoring my results and the machine settings, so I am not just flying blind. She listened to my concerns and suggested that sometimes the results will improve the longer it is on; I hope so. Meanwhile, I'm still adjust to the wearing of it. It is getting a little easier in that regard.

Fenianfield

Post by Fenianfield » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:48 pm

I'm curious to see how this ends up. I, too, have low oxygen upon sleeping and was told that CPAP may or may not help with it and if it doesn't then I may need oxygen as well. I didn't used to wake up tired either but it all caught up to me this year and now I'm on CPAP
"A friend to all is a friend to none."

Miss Emerita

Post by Miss Emerita » Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:49 am

Atom, now that you have a bit of sleep with the machine under your belt, it'd be very helpful to post an Oscar daily chart. Could you take a screenshot and attach it so we can take a look?

I'm glad you're getting a little more comfortable with the experience. Keep doing your daytime adaptation!

Atom

Post by Atom » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am

I have some charts from yesterday. There are so many; which ones are most important?